Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:44 pm

when I was a kid in primary they forced us to pray, and my teacher spent 30 minutes trying to teach me how to bless myself. I forgot straight away afterwards (I still havn't a clue how to) :lol:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2011, 7:08 pm

I'm not good at praying out loud, it makes me nervous. I also found I wasn't good at praying inside my head, and I have always wondered how people do that. But someone I generally agree with was talking about aspies "thinking in pictures" so lately I have been just sitting there imagining the person I am praying for in front of me, as if to say, here they are God, and I do feel better about that.
It feels as if there is a point to it, and afterwards I feel less worried.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 7:29 pm

Told you your sci fi background was inadequate. Moose and Kink will never talk.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 8:08 am

I know how, that's cuz i go to a catholic school and i'm not catholic
it sucks..we pray the rosary, the angelus and other stuffs everyday :S
i've been doing it for almost 4 years now :?

I don't mind praying at school, but at home? no way

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2020, 10:43 am

JennyPenny901 wrote:
Ya I can pray out loud and I can pray quietly to myself as well. And weather you pray like others or not GOD will still understand you. He loves you and knows everything about you. So if you feel uncomfortable praying out loud then don't do it GOD understands. Pray your way. Read the Psalms as well all the Psalms are prayers to GOD. These might give you more of an idea of what you can say to GOD. There is also the Lord's prayer "Our Father who art in Heaven. Hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen." There is no wrong way to pray. You pray what you feel and what you think. GOD just wants you to be real and tell Him the truth all of it. Just do what you feel comfortable with. My friend told me of a child who recited the whole alphabet and when they finished the alphabet they said amen. Now we might not think of that as a prayer but GOD does. He knows your thoughts,feelings and well everything there is to know about you. He understands you He created you. You can pray to Him about how you feel with prayer and He'll show you the way. My brother has sever autism and he prays out loud. Now to me it just sounds like baby talk but to GOD it makes sense. I hope this helps you out.

This is a very beautiful response. Hopefully it helps. As a Catholic priest (like I'm supposed to be an expert), I think it is quite beautiful.

Social Media: @AutisticPriest (autism specific) & @FrMatthewLC (gen Catholic)
YouTube: Autistic Priest
I did the ApsieQuiz Twice: Neurodiverse score 131/135, Neurotypical Score 61/64

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 11:52 am

I direct my prayers to Joe Pesci and they seem to get answered at the same rate they always have been so I'm sticking with it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 1:01 pm

SMiLes; Essence of Prayer Now
Is Gratitude and Loving Intentions
Both That We Really Feel And Sense
And Share And Give to Others Free Doing Least
Harm Truly Again the Essence of Worship Same for
All that Brings Life DarK Thru LiGHT; No Hell NO;
no 'Organized Religion
To Control And
Subjugate the
Freedoms of
Relative Free
Will of others
is Necessary
to Pray Particularly
When The Religion
of Life Becomes An Always
Now Gratitude for Dark Thru Light
With Loving Intention We Feel And Actually
Sense to once again Freely Give and Share With Others
with
Least
Harm;
Truly Balanced
Healthy Human Beings
Do this Naked of the Clothes
of All Organized Religions; it is
What Human Altruism Does Best Naked Born
the Faith and The Belief is the Thanks Giving
and Giving Thanks of Gratitude And Love NoW.
Other than that the Reason Folks Express for Leaving
'The Church' Most is Old Dogma That Divides and Categorizes
Some Human Beings With all Their Behavior in Diversity as Better Than Others.
Like Worrying
Which Body
Parts touch
What Body
Parts After Marriage;
People no Longer Bite That Kind oF iGnorance
of Dogma that Takes Relative Free Will of Love Away;
At Least folks who haven't been covered in Old Dusty Books,
unable to Escape Pews of Church That Says this Love is Better Than That Love
Same Love that Gives and Shares for Real Doing Least Harm to Others no matter
what
Body
Part
touches
What Body Part now;
but just a reminder Priests,
Wear A Mask Delivering Communion;
But Do be Careful Not to Mask Agape Love FOR ALL;
EVEN Some Science of 'Faith' suggests that this is How Faith evolves in one
Life Ascending Transcending Love Out of the Doors of Myths that prison Love:

(Yep, Maslow Has His Pyramid of Human Development for Self Authenticity; and So Does Fowler With A Science of Faith)

"Stage 0 – "Primal or Undifferentiated" faith (birth to 2 years), is characterized by an early learning of the safety of their environment (i.e. warm, safe and secure vs. hurt, neglect and abuse). If consistent nurture is experienced, one will develop a sense of trust and safety about the universe and the divine. Conversely, negative experiences will cause one to develop distrust with the universe and the divine. Transition to the next stage begins with integration of thought and language which facilitates the use of symbols in speech and play.

Stage 1 – "Intuitive-Projective" faith (ages of three to seven), is characterized by the psyche's unprotected exposure to the Unconscious, and marked by a relative fluidity of thought patterns.[4] Religion is learned mainly through experiences, stories, images, and the people that one comes in contact with.

Stage 2 – "Mythic-Literal" faith (mostly in school children), stage two persons have a strong belief in the justice and reciprocity of the universe, and their deities are almost always anthropomorphic. During this time metaphors and symbolic language are often misunderstood and are taken literally.

Stage 3 – "Synthetic-Conventional" faith (arising in adolescence; aged 12 to adulthood) characterized by conformity to authority and the religious development of a personal identity. Any conflicts with one's beliefs are ignored at this stage due to the fear of threat from inconsistencies.

Stage 4 – "Individuative-Reflective" faith (usually mid-twenties to late thirties) a stage of angst and struggle. The individual takes personal responsibility for his or her beliefs and feelings. As one is able to reflect on one's own beliefs, there is an openness to a new complexity of faith, but this also increases the awareness of conflicts in one's belief.

Stage 5 – "Conjunctive" faith (mid-life crisis) acknowledges paradox and transcendence relating reality behind the symbols of inherited systems. The individual resolves conflicts from previous stages by a complex understanding of a multidimensional, interdependent "truth" that cannot be explained by any particular statement.

Stage 6 – "Universalizing" faith, or what some might call "enlightenment". The individual would treat any person with compassion as he or she views people as from a universal community, and should be treated with universal principles of love and justice."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Fowler

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 1:50 pm

There are different kinds of prayers.

There are standardized scripted prayers that you recite. Almost like chanting.
There are "talking to God" prayers where you speak to God directly.
There are hymns that are sung with beautiful voices.
There are speaking-in-tongue prayers. Not sure the purpose, yet.

But then again there are other prayers where the spirit of man and the spirit of God merge and become one. These are spoken with power and authority. You raise your hands and command the winds or the seas. And they obey. Or you talk to the trees and scold them using scriptures from the Bible. These prayers are very special.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 3:46 pm

There is no “one way” to pray.

If God judges you by your praying methodology, He probably is not actually God.