Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:47 pm

Autistic Services on my area has a monthly support group for HFA/Asperger's.

I went.

I'm having some trouble.processing it. I think it dredged up a lot of feelings about being so god awful weird. I forgot how different I must appear to the 'normal' world. Being in a room full of spectrum inhabitants was quite jarring. In part it was like seeing different stages in my life. There was a range of ages from late teens to 60's. Unemployed, working in IT, a PHD candidate, one that didn't do anything but sit and stare. I recognized parts of myself in others behavior and remembered how ashamed of myself I used to be.

I could observe the lack of social awareness in some of the people and felt "OMG", is my social cluelessness THIS obvious?

I remembered what it felt like when I used to believe I was nothing but a freak.

I remembered the rage I used to feel at being marginalized because I was weird.

I felt sad that after 52 years of living, here I was, still "sitting at the losers table". Sharing a room with people that were shunted aside in school and life. And ashamed that I felt this way when in a room full of people that had lived the very same things. Or worse.

GAH!

Autism is a strange thing. It's almost that it exists to remind humanity that what is on the outside is just a thin veneer. The oddities we display to the 'real" world give no indication of the real person inside.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm

I can't tell if you enjoyed the meeting or not by your post. Does this mean you will be returning to future meetings?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm

Was the meet up group from Williamsville? I guess you could call it the Buffalo area? I always chicken out about going.

Last edited by Todesking on 21 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I can't tell if you enjoyed the meeting or not by your post. Does this mean you will be returning to future meetings?

I did not enjoy it.

I think I will return again a few more times. I can't interpret all the feelings it created and avoiding it because of that seems to be a bad idea. I need to go and let some of the stuff work itself out.

It was too much to process.

It was too noisy. There is a 'quite group' but I can't get to it because of my work schedule.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm

I can understand the awkwardness of just being at a meeting - any meeting - I would feel the same no matter what the meeting involved.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm

Todesking wrote:
Was the meet up group from Williamsville? I guess you could call it the Buffalo area?

Autistic Services in Buffalo, on Hertel near the zoo.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:59 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Todesking wrote:
Was the meet up group from Williamsville? I guess you could call it the Buffalo area?

So what went on durring the meeting?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 11:59 pm

So, why was the meeting so noisy? Was everyone talking in one big room?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:05 am

Todesking wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Todesking wrote:

So what went on durring the meeting?

Pizza, 'socializing' (isn't that an oxymoron in a room full of aspies?). Not much in the nature of conversation that could be considered support.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

Aspies do socialize, just somewhat awkwardly for some of us :)
It sounds like a get together more than a support group. People must go there to talk with others, not so much to support one another.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:10 am

Did you run into any bizzar people or were they simply awkward? I shouldn't talk I am pretty strange myself. :wink: I am still debating whether or not to go, I am still having a weird feeling about meeting people like myself. 8O

Last edited by Todesking on 22 Jan 2011, 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:13 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I was really surprised at the noise level. The room was like a small cafeteria or dining area. Hard tile floors and uncovered walls, terrible acoustics. There were two or three that talked very loudly and pretty much non-stop. I almost left after a few minutes because of the noise.

Part of my problem is that places like Wrong Planet have allowed me to maintain a level of abstraction about just what autism is. I can live in my head, choose my words, forget my body. Actually seeing myself in other people, face to face, really brought it to a different level of experience. There was a physicality to it that was unnerving.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:16 am

Todesking wrote:
Did you run into any bizzar people or were they simply awkward? I shouldn't I am pretty strange myself. :wink:

Well, bizarre is me. So what can I say? But yes, aspie strangeness was on full display.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:17 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I was really surprised at the noise level. The room was like a small cafeteria or dining area. Hard tile floors and uncovered walls, terrible acoustics. There were two or three that talked very loudly and pretty much non-stop. I almost left after a few minutes because of the noise.

Part of my problem is that places like Wrong Planet have allowed me to maintain a level of abstraction about just what autism is. I can live in my head, choose my words, forget my body. Actually seeing myself in other people, face to face, really brought it to a different level of experience. There was a physicality to it that was unnerving.

Did you feel somewhat higher functioning than some there? That's one of the reasons I wonder if I would actually fit into such meetings. I am higher functioning but with other "issues" that others might not share. I am not your typical case. I might feel like you do at such meetings.
I can talk nonstop, though, so that's somewhat encouraging :D

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:19 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Aspies do socialize, just somewhat awkwardly for some of us :)
It sounds like a get together more than a support group. People must go there to talk with others, not so much to support one another.

Yes. I think this may be the case. Something was said about just getting together because many aspies have so little social contact.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:33 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Did you feel somewhat higher functioning than some there? That's one of the reasons I wonder if I would actually fit into such meetings. I am higher functioning but with other "issues" that others might not share. I am not your typical case. I might feel like you do at such meetings.
I can talk nonstop, though, so that's somewhat encouraging :D

I would probably be considered higher functioning than most that were there. I haven't quite wrapped my brain around the high functioning thing. To all outward appearances, I am very high functioning. But there is a very thin barrier between me and a more dependent life.. A few twists of fate, and I'm on the dole instead of employed, alone instead of married. I didn't feel all that different other than in circumstance.