Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2011, 1:53 pm

How the #### do you obtain job experience when employers require experience, and toss you aside? My only work experience is bagging groceries, but I don't want to do that for the rest of my life, unless the wage goes up to $50/hour, which will most likely never happen. I want to be an accountant, but I don't have accounting experience, and even the lowest level office jobs seem to require experience that only Bill Gates would have been able to obtain. How do you get experience when no one gives you a chance?

And don't say it's the economy. I know that, I don't live under a rock. But I don't want to end up poor when living out on my own. I want a nice home theater, a comfortable house, and a decent job, but I feel like employers are trying to say,"Look, you only have experience in bagging groceries, why don't you stick with that, so I can be better than you?"

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm in this situation myself. What people keep telling me is to do volunteer work in whatever area you're interested in. Now I don't know about you, but if I'm going to be devoting a significant amount of my time working for someone else, I would like to be financially compensated. Like I was looking into working at a zoo, but everything says you need to have at least one year's experience working at a zoo. I could volunteer at a zoo, but that's long, hard, physical work for nothing more than a pat on the back. So I'm probably going to end up bagging groceries this summer....... :(

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 4:27 pm

Be more indiscriminate in terms of where you work and at what. I always wanted to work in programming and kinda imagined to live not too far away from my parents, but I was open to other things and now I do tech support abroad. :shrug: I guess it is a related experience.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!