Request for help to find Internet Resources

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2011, 11:02 am

Request for help to find Internet Resources

I found a series of fascinating journal articles about autism and intelligence. A group of researchers scientifically proved that persons with Asperger's are actually more intelligent than NT people. I think that the group was from MIT. But, I am not sure. I think that the link came from wrongplanet.net. I could be wrong. If you are aware of this paper could you provide me with the link?

I also found a website that had an entire section dedicated to blogs by persons with Autism. The bloggers seemed fairly far along in the spectrum. They rarely used the words, "I", "you", "me", etc. They also wrote for long periods about their personal special interests. I would do anything to find this website again.

I feel extremely embarrassed and ashamed that I misplaced the names of the two websites. Maybe, my shame and embarrassment is an NT thing.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 11:14 am

Puppygnu wrote:
I feel extremely embarrassed and ashamed that I misplaced the names of the two websites. Maybe, my shame and embarrassment is an NT thing.

Can't help on the web links. I'm a bit amused that you feel embarrassed for forgetting. It's something that happens to me all the time. I think it's a problem for a lot of people on the spectrum. If it isn't specific to a special interest, I'm likely to pretty quickly forget things.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 12:01 pm

Puppygnu wrote:
A group of researchers scientifically proved that persons with Asperger's are actually more intelligent than NT people.

ive never heard of a study such as this, however due to the diagnostic criteria, its expected that the average IQ of those diagnosed AS is going to be higher than the NT population. the diagnostic criteria for AS requires no cognitive delay, and of course, there is no such criteria for being NT, so NTs include those with cognitive impairments which will lower the average IQ found in the NT population. so it shouldnt surprise that a group with average to above average intelligence is going to end up higher on the intelligence scale than a group which includes below average to above average.

its like doing a study to prove that those in MENSA are more intelligent than the general population. of course they are, thats one of the requirements to get into the club.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 12:49 pm

azurecrayon wrote:
Puppygnu wrote:
A group of researchers scientifically proved that persons with Asperger's are actually more intelligent than NT people.

Well, I haven't heard the scientific definition of "intelligence" either. Everyone defines words differently. As for scientific proof...no such thing. Science doesn't prove anything, it just lists the evidence available to suggest a certain conclusion. There are no absolutes in science, which is why I like science. Now, I've heard that people with AS usually have above average intelligence, but I've noticed that the most intelligent people are able to relax, and people with AS are typically more relaxed, stress not withstanding. Relaxed people sit back and think about stuff, instead of just blasting out opinions all the freaking time.