Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Do you think North Korea will launch a missle for real?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
Yes 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 28

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 4:55 pm

I heard today 7/4/2006 at about 1600 hours that North Korea did missle tests. I heard they might launch a real one that might hit a city in America. I am figuring that it will go West and hit District of Columbia or some other city in Virginia somewhere. I live in McGaheysville, VA, in the West part of the state. I think it is going to hit a city East of us.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 5:13 pm

And why do you feel by doing that north korea would risk the consequence of MAD?

Reality check required here

And if it does hit you, well I don't think were losing a cancer cure here

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 5:37 pm

Laz wrote:
And why do you feel by doing that north korea would risk the consequence of MAD?

Reality check required here

And if it does hit you, well I don't think were losing a cancer cure here

That's harsh, she's only 11 yrs old!

parts
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 6:30 pm

I belive when they say it can hit the US they don't mean just anywhere I think the range is limited to the west coast . But no I don't think they will launch a real one targeted at the US it would be foolish it's more saber rattling so it will be in a better postion in talks with the US which will happen eventualy

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 5:40 am

I severely doubt North Korea will launch an ICBM. Iirc, they only have a range of 6000 kilometres, which is only just enough to reach the Northern Territory of Australia. It's a lot further from Korea to the US. There's nowhere close enough worth North Korea's while to hit. There's too many repercussions that North Korea would have to face for them to risk ever actually firing one.

Anubis612
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2006, 7:52 pm

No, while North Korea has been tactless with it's activities before, especially in regards to foreign affairs, they would not be stupid enough to launch a missle. In a way, the missle is simply there to say, "Hey, look at my military might" (Hell, the North Korean military is actually in a fairly advanced state, but going up against the U.S or U.N Coalition forces would be suicidal). Though with a man like Kim Jon-il in power (He once kidnapped a south korean filmmaker just to advance the state of his countries films) you never know what will happen. Regardless, I do not believe that the missle will be used in a hostile action.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 4:00 am

Will they launch another one (yes that was a real missile test) yes.
Will it do any damage? Most likely not
Will it damage them? Heavily, with sanctions. Especially if China itself gets involved.

If you live in South Korea, Japan or Hawai, don't lose sleep over it yet.
We don't even know if North Korea can make a fully functional bomb.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 8:07 am

on the topic of north korea (and sorry if this is a little off topic) it is interesting to note that a company that employed donald rumsfeld on its board of directors sold nuclear technology to north korea in 2000.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/korea/article ... 89,00.html

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 7:04 pm

There just after a bribe at the end of the day.

eipsa
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2006, 12:35 am

Don't buy into the fear that the media is pumping out all the time. They want to keep the American population in fear so that they will buy guns and produce missiles.
The North Koreans wont launch against the US, for what reason would they do that? They are not stupid (like your Administration would have you beleive) and they are not crazy either. They probably beleive (rightly) that the US will invade them if they do not have nuclear-bombs and missiles to keep them away. It is therefore more healthy for the world peace that they (and others like the iranians) quickly devellop nuclear bombs so that the US stops invading other countries so readilly.
Right now the media is pushing the idea that they will launch against the US because they want the general population to buy into Bush's policy against them. So don't belive it, it's just propaganda.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2006, 1:14 pm

Reason A is that Kim Il Jong needs to act tough otherwise his military will think he is weak and chuck him out, if he gives concessions to the US he looks weak and will get the boot and the military will take over.

Reason B is that the US and other countries are waging a low key war of sanctions and disrupting all their sea traffic and financial traffic, this has been very successful and is slowly strangling North Korea to the point where as above Kim Il Jong looks weak and unable to do anything about the situation so he has to be agressive to keep support at home, he is being pushed into a corner and becoming .

North Korea has also spent pretty much the past 60 years or so doing nothing much except prepare for a huge war, however everyone else like South Korea, Japan, China and the US have gone on to develop economies and become prosperous and have no intention of starting any wars. North Korea bet on there being another war and has lost so far, spent all it's money and is now utterly screwed, they would love nothing more than the US to attack so they once again have a reason for being, however the US will never attack first because it's not worth it. They are slowly strangling the country in seige like situation and hoping it collapses in one way or another, the real danger is that the North starts the war for itself with nothing left to lose.

I wouldn't worry about their missiles either, they are mostly useless, inaccurate and poorly designed, they have never had a successful firing of their long range missiles and at their maximum range their warhead would have to be very small, so it's extremely unlikely they would get any sort of effective nuclear weapon onto American soil, assuming they weren't shot down on the way, and even if they did it would be one or two small bombs, and the US would probably respond by completely wiping out the country through one way or another.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 9:42 pm

North Korea's nukes are just bargianing chips. Ever since the Clinton administration, Kim has figured out he can blackmail us. Thanks Bill.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 3:48 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
North Korea's nukes are just bargianing chips. Ever since the Clinton administration, Kim has figured out he can blackmail us. Thanks Bill.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the media's overplaying this. I highly doubt WWIII is going to spring out of this. Why? Because the USA is stronger than North Korea. They tested, what, one long range missle? And that missle failed. How many missiles do we have that could make it to North Korea without failing beforehand? Probably more than one. Kim Jon-il knows this. He's not stupid. (Maybe crazy, but not stupid.) He won't try a suicide attempt.
Also, from what I heard, they're trying a diplomatic solution, which is good.
So, rest easy. It's all ok.

Just out of curiousity though, why did you think it would hit Virgina? I could see DC being targeted, but there are several large cities on the East Coast, including New York City.

Three years!

VoluminousFlush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2006, 11:52 am

North Korea is the second biggest threat to the world today, after Iran. They are currently developing a TaepoDong-2 missile which could reach the mainland US.