Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 11:08 am

Yeah, I'd go. Not sure that there's one around here. There seems to be a number of posts here flagging this subject for me, I might look for one when I've more time.

Teebst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2011, 4:19 pm

I'm starting one next month. I've made an appointment with my therapist, who is facilitating the group, for the morning of the first meeting so we can go over what to expect. I figure if its not a good experience I could just stop going.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2011, 5:56 pm

I attend an Asperger support group. I find it good to meet other Aspies and to share strategies, and to have a place where I don't have to 'pretend to be normal'.

It has also helped me a lot in understanding how I appear to others, and why people find me annoying/frustrating sometimes! It's a very weird experience to be on the receiving end of Aspie communication, and to find someone's behaviour frustrating or self-centred, but also to realise that I do the same myself and that this is why people get frustrated with me! I guess you could say it's given me more first hand empathy in what it's like for people to communicate with me. This can be quite humbling, but also very valuable in terms of self-awareness.