Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 8:43 pm

In general, I don’t mind being touched. I like hugs and handshakes (most of the time). I haven’t been kissed yet, so I don’t know whether or not I’d like that, but I assume that it would be no problem.

For some reason, I absolutely cannot stand it when someone touches my knuckles. I can’t think of any logical reason for this, but if it happens I often have a mild anxiety attack.

I know a lot of other people have talked about similar experiences in other threads, so I was wondering what everyone’s reactions are.

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 8:54 pm

I'm perfectly fine with anywhere but the ears. Touching them in general isn't much of a problem, but I tend to get really bitchy when other people completely cup my ears (not like this is something that would happen often, but still).

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 9:24 pm

i hate being touched in general any kind of touch it doesn't matter.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 9:31 pm

Touching in general I don't like. Its a tad better when I know specifically it is going to happen. Unexpected touching is really distracting and unsettling.

I have a general aversion to having to touch other people as well. If I have to get close to someone I am paranoid that I'll bump into them and touch them. If I have to touch someone to get attention or something, I don't like it, even though I am sometimes forced since people will expect it.

I can give hugs to family now, even though in the past it was something I would avoid. Handshakes I don't like either, partially because I don't understand the practice or the social undertones that a proper handshake gives. And also because I don't want to touch people .

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 10:11 pm

I am not currently in a romantic relationship, but I would require touch if I were in one.

Tim

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 10:53 pm

I generally don't like to be touched... a lot of aspies are hypersensitive to touch. The physical sensation of it isn't enjoyable for me most of the time. The hardest part is convincing people that the problem is on my end - it's not them, it's not that I don't like them, etc...

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 11:23 pm

Depends how well I know the person. So for practically anyone, I dislike touch. If someone wants to shake my hand I sometimes do it for the sake of politeness, though I usually wash my hand after... >.<

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 11:50 pm

I don't mind being touched, unless someone tries to touch me lightly.

If I get touched lightly I will have a sensory overload attack and itch myself non stop where they touched me.

icemanau
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2006, 12:34 am

hale_bopp wrote:

If I get touched lightly I will have a sensory overload attack and itch myself non stop where they touched me.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't mind hugs, handshakes, back massages :P, or kissing. It's just when someone touches me lightly I get like a cold shiver all over my body. Anybody else have had a similar experience?

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2006, 1:42 am

I don't like touch in social settings at all. Like friends hugging you etc. especially if its unexpected. After many years i have learnt to hug friends on meeting them, but i don't enjoy it. Touch doesn't give me any obvious sensory problems, except light touches on my face which are tickly and uncomfortable. But touch invades my personal space whitch is a big problem for me. If some casual aquaintance touches me it just feels wrong and uncomfortable, but not in a physical sense. I just don't relate touch to friendship/caring for someone. I very rarely touch my friends. And it amzes me how much people seem to touch each other for abosolutly no reason!
Mostly if someone touches me and i don't want them too, i will not react at all, not look at them, or move, i kind of freeze, this proably makes me seem rude, because i'm not responding to their gesture, but i'm not responding because i really want them too stop.
Light touches make me shivery, but i can cope for a while as long as its not my face.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 2:38 am

I don't like to be touched. I don't like to be hugged or to give a hug. I don't mind if someone taps my shoulder for attention, but I generally do not like people to get too close.

- Ray M -

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2006, 8:59 am

I don't mind social-ritual touching, but I find 'making-a-connection' touching hard to tolerate. If someone (say) puts their hand on my arm, it's a real effort to restrain myself from squirming, and I'm sure my discomfort is written all over my face anyway.

Plus, if something unexpectedly brushes my back I'll do an involuntary twitch/spasm sort of thing; I used to find queueing annoying until I realised I should just stand sideways (duh).

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 9:00 am

icemanau wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I don't mind hugs, handshakes, back massages :P, or kissing. It's just when someone touches me lightly I get like a cold shiver all over my body. Anybody else have had a similar experience?

For me light touch REALLY tickles. I don't know how people laugh when they get tickled, for me it's a bad sensation. Firm touch is usually ok but very few people do that.

eipsa
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2006, 5:26 pm

icemanau wrote:

Yes, very sensitive to light touching. My girlfriend when I was 18 couldn't stroke my stomach lightly at all, the muscles would go into a spasm, and I had to tell her to stop. Unfortunately I think she thought it was weird, and I never really managed to convince her that it wasn't her that was the problem it was me.
I'm much better with firm touching, and don't mind handshakes etc. Allthough a hug can send me into a panick. If I'm going to meet someone that I know will hug me, I can panick about it for days....urgh.
And where I live now......complete strangers.....kiss....on...the...cheeks....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRGHHJAAAAAA

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

05 Jul 2006, 5:34 pm

I can't stand being touched anywhere from my mid-back to the back of my knees. This causes some real problems, since I have a four-year-old sister, and when she hugs me from behind I tend to panic briefly. I also can't bear to have anyone touch my throat or even to feel like my throat is 'unprotected;' that means that I can't, say, fall asleep with my head back. I also can't stand hugging.

I love having my head rubbed or being leaned on or leaning on people. As long as no one bothers my no-go areas, I really like cuddling with people I trust.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2006, 6:14 pm

I suppose I don't mind a handshake from strangers. Touching from those that I care about is acceptable and I actually crave hugs from them, though I rarely get any.

Now that I think about it, anything longer than a few seconds from strangers or even someone I know (except for people I am very emotionally close to) would make me feel uneasy. There has been a few situations where I've physically removed their hand, just walked away or verbally expressed very loudly to "get away!" or "stop!".

I wanted to add this...

Morphia wrote:
I just don't relate touch to friendship/caring for someone. I very rarely touch my friends. And it amzes me how much people seem to touch each other for abosolutly no reason!

I never used to relate touch with caring either until a few years ago. A very close friend was going through a very difficult loss and it was one of my ways to "be there" for him. Then I started thinking about how everyone else's families greeted one another with hugs.

It's like from then on I told myself that hugging those close to me would help me with some of my emotional issues and I still believe it will. Of course I haven't been very diligent in actually DOING it, but the seed was planted and it sort of forced myself to realize that it's ok. Now I have the mental approval and emotional desire, but not the means to follow through (yet). I hope that makes sense.