Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:26 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
If a higher being did create us, they would perhaps love the atheists more for not believing all the BS which was written about them.

Atheists have committed their own violent acts, see Joseph Stalin.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:30 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
If a higher being did create us, they would perhaps love the atheists more for not believing all the BS which was written about them.

This is of course true.

I was just making generalisation about any god probably respecting that a lot of society never bought into the religion thing.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:43 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:

This is of course true.

I was just making generalisation about any god probably respecting that a lot of society never bought into the religion thing.

More likely God would prefer people that believed in him that didn't go off the deep end and on mad killing sprees.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:48 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:

This is of course true.

More likely God would prefer people that believed in him that didn't go off the deep end and on mad killing sprees.

maybe.

Personally i think it is impossible to rule out a higher being. The universe could be random chance or could have been created with the intention of galaxies and habitable planets forming.

If there is really a higher being of some sort i still think religion is a load of rubbish and i would expect them to want us to spend our time bettering ourselves and others instead of worshipping.

Why spent our time listening to religious stories which often contradict one another, driving to say church on a Sunday for example when we could be out of our homes actually doing something to help those less fortunate than ourselves?

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 2:05 pm

Technically, Stalin didn't do what he did because of religious / areligious conviction, but because of political such.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 2:18 pm

TechnicalPacifist wrote:
Technically, Stalin didn't do what he did because of religious / areligious conviction, but because of political such.

One could argue that about the Crusades too, yet people are content to say it was violence induced by religion.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

John_Browning wrote:
The Bible is completely silent on the existence of extraterrestrial life. We would not convert them because Jesus died for mankind, not aliens.

So shure? the way I see it, if you read the book of ezekial (wich is in the bible) it would seem to me that what he saw was a UFO. you have to remember that, people back in the day had to describe what they were seeing to there best ability, wich means they had to describe things they were seeing with familiar objects of there day

and jesus was a alien in my opinion. angels of the bible are really aliens

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 2:52 pm

Well, the way I tend to see it, religion is a state of mind- it has been observed that a distinct form of brain waves are present during prayer. So the feeling of 'divine connection' is real, and since it seems to have a biological origin (or perhaps a supernatural origin that results in a biological reaction if you lean that way) it seems to me that extra terrestrials could experience something similar, if they evolved analogue brain structures to Humans. So perhaps we are not that unique in our experience of spirituality; however, depending on the level of advancement (who is to say that, though unlikely, we are the most advanced species, at least in this arm of the galaxy) perhaps they have more primitive or more advanced belief systems. I could picture a more advanced, interstellar level species having some kind of cosmological-mathematical philosophy

Last edited by Vigilans on 26 Jan 2011, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 3:07 pm

richardbenson wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
The Bible is completely silent on the existence of extraterrestrial life. We would not convert them because Jesus died for mankind, not aliens.

So shure? the way I see it, if you read the book of ezekial (wich is in the bible) it would seem to me that what he saw was a UFO. you have to remember that, people back in the day had to describe what they were seeing to there best ability, wich means they had to describe things they were seeing with familiar objects of there day

and jesus was a alien in my opinion. angels of the bible are really aliens

many many ancient texts and carvings show UFOs and strange looking beings.

funnily enough, the same type of thing occurred around the world at the same time from people who were meant to have NO contact with one another.

It suggests to me there is a chance of interaction from another race who was possibly from our planet or from another,

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 2:12 am

Vigilans wrote:
I'm curious, to those here who believe in extraterrestrial life, and who are also religious, or one or the other;
If we were to encounter extraterrestrial microbes in this solar system, would that affect your views on the universe? Do you think that genesis of life on other planets and the genesis of the Bible or other religious scripture are compatible? (As someone who isn't religious, I do..)
If we were to encounter an intelligent civilization without religions, would you see it as necessary to convert them?
If we were to encounter an intelligent civilization with religions, do you think these beliefs could impact terrestrial views, and do you think some would begin trying to find analogies between their religions and ours, ex, Jesus was also born on another planet, and died for their sins too?

There are many more questions I have that I can't think of at the moment; but the impact of alien life on terrestrial religions is something I have often wondered about. Any thoughts from the good people of this forum?

I'd hope that they'd influence our religious beliefs. They had to get past their nuclear infancy without blowing their selves some how. They'd probably have way more advanced ideas than the ones in popular currency here on earth as of present.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 2:14 am

John_Browning wrote:
The Bible is completely silent on the existence of extraterrestrial life. Whether the universe is teaming with intelligent life or if we are alone in the universe, it has no effect ion the credibility of the Bible.
We would not convert them because Jesus died for mankind, not aliens.
The question whether alien religious beliefs are compatible with human belief systems cannot be answered until we have some idea of what the aliens (if any) are like.

Jesus didn't die for the little green men?

I guess they still have the Dionysian mysteries...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 2:41 am

John_Browning wrote:
The Bible is completely silent on the existence of extraterrestrial life. Whether the universe is teaming with intelligent life or if we are alone in the universe, it has no effect ion the credibility of the Bible.

I am not so sure. Gen 6:1-4 hints at living beings not of this planet and the arrival of the "angel" who announces the birth of Sampson to Sampson's parent (in the book of Judges) sounds just like a Star Trek beam down and beam up. And of course what Ezekiel saws (wheels within wheels) is a rather good description of the landings of a craft from orbit.

ruveyn

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2011, 12:01 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ChrisVulcan wrote:
Sure, I think they're compatible. For the Bible to say, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth, oh, and by the way, there are 300 million other civilizations living in the galaxy right now..." would be meaningless to the people who originally received the Bible. It's not surprising that Genesis doesn't mention aliens. Even if they do exist, they would be totally irrelevent.

Actually, it wouldn't be meaningless, and a religion very easily COULD talk about the millions of other worlds as part of its cosmology. The Biblical cosmology though, portrays a world that does not really cohere with this well. I mean, it really doesn't cohere with heliocentrism well either, but aliens just magnifies that issue.

Quote:
Here's an intriguing idea. The way I see it, human beings are set apart from other sentient beings (animals) by the presence of free will*. Free will, I think, implies the need to be saved. Perhaps there is a species that has the cognitive capacity of a human being, but no free will, and therefor no need for salvation. I would imagine that perhaps they would have a connection to the divine without the need for organized religion. Or perhaps they have free will and their society evolved to exclude religion.

Well, ok, but the problem with invoking "free will" is just that there is not evidence of human beings actually acting in an acausal manner, nor are their mechanisms that suggest the ability. Even if we claim we have that, we can't really compare our neurology to the alien neurology to find the difference.

I think that either answer you give would be somewhat problematic. Organization in religion does not seem to be a side-note for the Bible, but rather the idea of spiritual leaders was instituted for both Judaism and Christianity in an official sense. And excluding religion involves a lot of problems for the damnation of these creatures, especially given that unless we have Christ dying 300 million times, they'd have no option to be saved, and having Christ die 300 million times in different bodies would just be an absurdity.

A) Still figuring out how to use the quote system, so bear with me.

B) You made reference to the Bible not cohering well with heliocentricism. In what way?

C) People very rarely, if ever, behave without a motivation (whether that motivation be conscious or subconscious). However, that's not to say that people have no free will. If I dropped my computer right now, it would fall. It wouldn't choose how it would fall or think about how it feels about falling, it would just fall. If it broke, I might lose my temper, or I might acknowledge that it was my own fault for dropping the computer. I would have adequate motivation for each, but there wouldn't be a direct cause-effect relationship between the computer breaking and my reaction.

D) I agree, Christ dying 300 million times in different bodies is absurd. If there were aliens out there with free will and a need for salvation, I imagine they would "share" the same Messiah with the Humans. When the early church started out, many of the first Christians believe that Christ came just for the Jewish people. It took a little while for people to begin spreading the gospel message to the Gentiles. I think that the Vulcans or some such race would be saved by the same Messiah as the Humans.

Watch Doctor Who!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:44 am

TheKing wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
The question whether alien religious beliefs are compatible with human belief systems cannot be answered until we have some idea of what the aliens (if any) are like.

thats very arrogant to assume that on this galaxy where there are hundreds of thousands of solar systems and even more planets and hundreds of thousands if not millions of galaxies that we were the only planet to develop intelligent life.

in fact, NASA has already found aliens on Mars there are microscopic organisms they may not be intelligent yet but they are 100% aliens cuz they originated on Mars and not Earth which already disproves your "if any" statement.

Regardless of how many intelligent life forms may be out there, we still haven't encountered any, so we can't be sure of what they might be like.

TheKing wrote:
Personally i think discovery of intelligent alien life could disprove the view of the universe through the bible after all it says its only 6-12 thousand years old(look up Young Earth Society) there is also a christian society called the Flat Earth Society they believe that the earth is coin shaped which allows it to be flat but still let you travel around it those literalist christians deny every bit of evidence and science even actual pictures of the earth saying its all fake a big conspiracy to spite them or something like that

You have gone on a bit of a tangent. The age of the universe is not central to the teachings of most churches anymore, so it will have a negligible impact on the faith of most Christians. As for the hard core fundamentalists, if aliens were discovered, they would most likely believe they were created at the same time as humans. As for belief in a flat earth, I am 29 and grew up around church and I have never met anyone that believes in a flat earth. I have read the Bible and I do not know of any medieval or renaissance era doctrine for a flat earth that didn't have a better (and still doctrinally sound) expiation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:59 am

Inuyasha wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

One could argue that about the Crusades too, yet people are content to say it was violence induced by religion.

this, right here, is why i like you, Inuyasha. you are very correct in pointing out the similarity. i would argue that the people who carried out the "dirty work" of both were acting on too much faith and not enough critical thinking, but you are, nonetheless, correct.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

Inuyasha wrote:
TechnicalPacifist wrote:

Part of Stalin's purges involved religious groups. Stalin's actions were to protect the development of a society that was supposed to be atheist in order to build his idea of a perfect society. Mao was another atheist who purged 60 million people to build another society that he thought required atheism to be perfect. The 2 big atheist societies killed 60 times as many people in 50 years as than all that died in the crusades over ~450 years.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud