Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 3:01 am

Like for instance, I like the feel of things between my gums. usually the top and bottom sets of pointy teeth. I started this when i was nine. I use paperclips, sometimes very rarely staples(they get stuck and that's scary) bits of plastic, like from a soda cup lid, if one is around, fingernails, etc.

It feels very good. it is just a slight pain, and my brain gets confused on whether the feeling I am experiencing is pleasure or pain. I don't do it so bad that I get hurt(at least not usually) but it feels nice and helps me relax. I do not do it all the time either.

does anyone else have any odd stims? I have others, I just mentioned the one above because I was doing it now.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2011, 3:09 am

I pick at blemishes on my skin, often until they bleed. It's soothing for my mental state - I have no idea why and I wish I didn't do it.

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2011, 4:05 am

I chew on the insides of my cheeks all the time. I have done this for as long as I can remember.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 4:23 am

I scrape the sides of the back of my tongue against my teeth. It creates an interesting taste.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2011, 4:56 am

Scraping your tongue across your teeth is rare? It's a stim?

I also used to chew on the inside of my cheeks, but I haven't done in a long time.

I'm still working out how many things I do that are stims. I seem to still have a few that I don't even think of that way.

galwacco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2011, 5:20 am

I repeat the phrase I state right after I do it. Like an echo from what I said. Many times I catch myself repeating really long statements.
I have also a big twitch with my eyes, cannot just normally blink most of the times, I have to perform a very heavy blinking movement in order to feel that I satisfactorily blinked.

And keep touching my upper lip on my nose. Like when we say "hmmmmmm!" but in a forceful manner.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2011, 5:23 am

galwacco wrote:
I have also a big twitch with my eyes, cannot just normally blink most of the times, I have to perform a very heavy blinking movement in order to feel that I satisfactorily blinked.

God, I do that. It is seriously frigging annoying.

galwacco

25 Jan 2011, 5:34 am

vileseagulls wrote:
galwacco wrote:

God, I do that. It is seriously frigging annoying.

In the same time doing that is soothing, it makes you tired, doesn't it?

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2011, 6:02 am

Dries my eyes out, which always makes me tired. Thankfully I only have to do it on occasion. I'd take it over the skin thing though, at least it doesn't leave marks.

Actually a workmate of mine keeps doing this, constantly. It annoys me, mostly because I annoy myself when I do it, but I only do it when other people can't see.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 9:07 am

vileseagulls wrote:
I pick at blemishes on my skin, often until they bleed. It's soothing for my mental state - I have no idea why and I wish I didn't do it.

I do that.

Also, if I'm not wearing socks, I'm unable to resist the temptation to tear at, and sometimes tear off, my toenails (with my fingernails). It's very enjoyable, but I wish I didn't do it because it doesn't look nice...
I do it with my fingernails too, but to a lesser extent - I never tear them off completely, I am able to stop at a certain point. And I am glad for that! While it is fun, I wish I didn't do it at all as I'd like to have long nails :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2011, 9:19 am

I tear off my toenails. Sometimes my fingernails, but usually I clip them instead. I prefer to keep them just short enough to not get in the way, but just long enough so that there's something there.

Until my 18th birthday, I chewed my fingernails to the bloody quick. After that I was able to stop and let them grow until they'd break - I'd keep them filed, but not clip, tear, or chew them.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

Not now but, when I was little, my folks had one of those stress toys that was filled with a gel of some kid. I used to like biting it cuz the texture was so cool. I knew it was a weird thing to do, so I only did it when no one else was around (which was rarely). One day I was biting it and liking it so much that I bit down too hard! A big hole got in it and some gel seeped out :(

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm

I feel the skin between my toes when my feet are dry. I like it when the skin is smooth there.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 1:26 pm

Constantly changing the volume of music while listening.

I also hit my fists against the top of thighs/legs a lot and get bruises.

When I was younger:

Pushing my tongue again the inside of my cheek.

Hitting/bouncing my ear against my hand when my elbow was on a surface.

I was called out for both of these. "You're so weird" or "Why are you doing that???" so I stopped them both when I was young.

Microwench

25 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

I bite the insides of my cheeks too, have for ages..

My big one is rubbing my fingerprints across edges. Like I take my thumb or pointer finger and run it across the edge of paper, it makes a noise I like and feels good to me. It is extremely soothing. Drives my DH nuts, he hates the sound :-(

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2011, 3:54 pm

Luci wrote:
vileseagulls wrote:

I do that.

Any tips on not?