Picky eater and eating the same thing every day

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anspaughnato
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2011, 1:09 am

I know other aspies also have this trend, but I was interested about other people.

I'm also a very picky eater, for me it's mostly smell/texture based.

I could eat a turkey-bacon sammich every day for the rest of my life, that's all I've eaten for the past 2 weeks. Haha.

What about all of you?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:18 am

I have been a picky eater since about age 5. For me it is definitely mostly because of texture. One of the reasons I became vegetarian is cuz meat texture is really quite disgusting.

I eat the same foods everyday. But not the same one food. Breakast, lunch and dinner are all the same.

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2011, 4:26 am

I will eat the same set of foods for 2-5 days. I am also not a picky eater but I can be at times. My eating habits usually change over time.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:12 am

I am not a picky eater, for the most part. I eat most things. I do want to eat the same thing over, and over again. If I eat something that I like, I start to crave it, and want to eat it constantly. I have to stop myself, so that I can get a little variety in my diet, and so that I don't look so strange to people.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm

I'm VERY picky, and can eat the same thing every day forever, and I'm happy that way. However, to be practical, I do go with the flow, so to speak, and will be flexible when going out to dinner or when other people are involved. Otherwise, I've been eating the exact same thing, same portions, for breakfast for many years, 365 days (or 366 on leap years).

I'm lucky that the things I really hate in food, are fats and sticky/slimy things. I can't stand anything with mayonnaise (looks like horse semen to me), and I can't stomach anything deep-fried. The smell of frying or cooking oil is repulsive to me. I say I'm lucky for all this, because it's easy for me to eat a healthy diet all the time without discipline. I am in no way enticed by french fries or salad dressings, nor sticky cake, or other stuff that most other people say they crave.

When I eat lunch out, I have been going to the same style of place; Mexican or Tex-Mex. I get flame grilled chicken or steak tacos or burritos with no guacamole or anything else slimy. No cheese. Just steak/chicken and BLAZINGLY CORROSIVELY HOT salsa. And water to drink. (Coke makes me thirstier than before I drank anything). I've been going regularly to the same take-out place for so long, that the cashier was a teen when I first went there, and now HER daughter is going to have a baby! They originally had 3 locations in the Los Angeles area, but now only have one left which is 40 miles away. I still go there at least twice a week, and more often as logistically possible!

Charles

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 1:16 pm

I am basically not a picky eater but there are a lot of things I wouldn't eat because of food texture problems (any mushy stuff like crème brûlée, flans, mushrooms in any meal, spinach (inless it's been puréed) or because of intolerance (practically any kind on nuts except for hazelnuts). Also, I try to eat a low-salt diet because of blood pressure issues.

My diet is drastically different from what is considered normal where I live as consists basically of rice, cheese, fish, vegetables and fruit. People here eat lots of bread, red meat, deep fried stuff, sickly sweet desserts and only rarely eat fresh fruit and veggies. So whenever I go to friend's house for dinner, I only eat the salad. Not that a steak with fries would kill me but I'd avoid it if I could.

I tend to eat the same thing for days and weeks. I think I have eaten rice cooked in the same way at least once a day every day for the last 5-7 years. When I eat out, I rarely order something different than usual but I won't throw a tantrum if I can't have what I'd like to eat. While my NT husband is perfectly capable of making lots of noise because he his food did not look or taste the the way he expected to. Perhaps he got Aspergerised after living with me for so many years.

Last edited by Severus on 27 Jan 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2011, 2:49 pm

I'm vegetarian and pretty much only eat fruit, pluses and veg in some form (stews, soups etc) I like a lot of foods but many in only a certain way or with certain things. I eat the same everyday for days at a time quite happily, I also find I will want to eat something everyday for a time and then go off it. My son does this as well. Currently it is dairylea cheese spread on garlic and herb crackers

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

My problem is that although there are a lot of foods that I will happily eat, none of them are healthy.

I am also very sensitive to sour foods. I find that sour things are intensely unpleasant. This rules out most fruits for me. Even the sweetest strawberry is unpleasantly sour to me, unless I pile loads of sugar on it.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 10:49 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I'm VERY picky, and can eat the same thing every day forever, and I'm happy that way. However, to be practical, I do go with the flow, so to speak, and will be flexible when going out to dinner or when other people are involved. Otherwise, I've been eating the exact same thing, same portions, for breakfast for many years, 365 days (or 366 on leap years).

I'm lucky that the things I really hate in food, are fats and sticky/slimy things.

I am somewhat similar to you in that I won't eat any condiments or sauces or salad dressings. I find them GROSS! People think it's really weird when you don't dip your french fries in ketchup or eat pasta with tomato sauce.

I also refuse to put soymilk on cereal because it reconstitutes the original source into mush.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:10 pm

I can be a very picky eater, not as far as taste go's (i once ate half gallon i ice cream before i realized that it tasted spoiled), but i can't stand something with a texture that dose not agree with me.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 4:21 pm

Kiseki wrote:
I am somewhat similar to you in that I won't eat any condiments or sauces or salad dressings. I find them GROSS! People think it's really weird when you don't dip your french fries in ketchup or eat pasta with tomato sauce.

Exactly. I hate the very idea of ketchup on my french fries. Or dressing on my salad. Or soy sauce on my sushi. So in restaurants I flatly refuse any of these and I can see that people are wondering whether I am a health freak - but then they do see I am a freak anyway so it's up to them to decide what kind of freak I am exactly.

Now, when I think about it, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast for many years (though it's the meal when I am most relaxed and therefore I can afford to be a bit more flexible), the same thing for lunch if I have to cook for myself - otherwise I'd go for the same type of sandwich - and pretty much the same salad for dinner unless I go for a sushi and it's almost always the same order. Holy frak, I really eat the same thing every day.

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2012, 3:46 am

So so so picky. I never eat any meat except for scrambled eggs and toast which I cold eat every day for ever. I hate hate hate the taste of milk. I eat milk products a lot such as cheese which is something I have never gone a day without in my life. I love ice cream but just can't drink milk. I will eat any kind of bread except ones with oatmeal bits in them. My favorite food is pizza with pepperoni but it has to be dominos or pizza huts or spaghetti withangel hair pasta and units NO funk sause and parmason cheese sprinkled on top. The only fruits I like are grapes pealed and having the inerds cut out even if they say they are seedless there Something in there. I also like water melon seedless without the black and white seeds. Apple cut and peeled with the core cut out so I don't have to worry. I only like a couple vegetables peas and corn on or off the cob. I eat only a few different meals PB&J, peanut butter and fluff, eggs and toast, only cheese taco soft or hard, spaghetti, grilled cheese, Mac and cheese only Kraft, pizza, ritz crackers with cheese. That is like al I eat. It seems like a lot but my dad is practically killing me over the few foods I eat.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:07 am

I am a somewhat picky eater. I prefer bland foods without any hot or spicy elements to them. I don't tend to like new foods when I try them unless they are made from ingredients I tend to like. I only like white bread, won't have any dressing on a salad other than ranch, hate mushrooms for both taste and texture, won't eat foods that have a color I don't like, and generally won't even try a new flavor of a beverage I usually like. I vehemently dislike the taste and effects of alcohol and so I refuse to drink anything with alcohol in it. While I like fruit by itself and uncooked, I don't like anything with fruit fillings like pies. Likewise, I dislike cream fillings in things like donuts and pastries. I also don't like to mix and match my foods too often and usually eat them in sequence rather than randomly mix them. I will, though, eat ketchup on damn near any meat, including ham or chicken. However, I can't stand the idea of ketchup on eggs. Speaking of eggs, I only like it if they are scrambled. I also have the odd habit of eating cereal dry with a glass of milk instead of letting it get soggy in the bowl.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2012, 5:36 am

All the time.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 7:56 am

I eat almost anything, the few things I don't like are because of texture. Condiments on the other hand I rarely use, only in the last 5 years or so have I started using salad dressing. They just seem gross for some reason.

I also eat the same thing over and over. I've been eating the same peanut butter and jelly, banana and yogurt for at least 3 weeks now. I think it's because it makes shopping easier and nothing to do with eating habits though.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:33 am

I'm this way. I prepare the same meals or variations of them every day to the point where if I'm forced to eat anything else I get sick. Mom is very accepting, she likes to cook, especially with my sister and her boyfriend around, but I just cannot stomach fried porkchops and chicken like they can. Couldn't wen I was little, can't now.