Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2011, 11:48 pm

I really hate whistling. I almost can't do anything or think when I hear whistling.
Feedback please.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:59 pm

I have troubles concentrating in a changing environment. If everyone is talking at the same level then I am fine. If someone wasn't talking before then starts talking, I have trouble concentrating. Especially in class when I am working on a problem and the teacher starts talking. I have to listen to them.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:02 am

aliensyndrome wrote:
I really hate whistling. I almost can't do anything or think when I hear whistling.
Feedback please.

I hate it hate it hate it hate it. It's like someone is driving a nail into my ears.

I also hate finger snapping.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2011, 12:07 am

I find it very annoying. What's the point. Is silence so bad?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jan 2011, 12:53 am

I hate hearing other people hum, snap their fingers, tap their fingers, crack their knuckles, bounce their legs, make any kind of noise whatsoever that does not sound entirely purposeful. I'm glad I learned the word for "misophonia."

And yet I whistle, snap my fingers, tap my fingers, him, bounce my legs. But not around other people. :D

Last edited by Verdandi on 27 Jan 2011, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 1:51 am

musical whistling [IOW whistling which demonstrates musical fluency in terms of adroit technique which is pleasing to the ear] is a treat. any other kind of whistling is just gross noise and when i am exposed to such, i will go away or plug my ears before long.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 2:03 am

I love whistling; it's a lot of fun and I'm great at it. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:13 am

when i was younger and my lips more limber, i used to be able to whistle quite a mean tune. but now i sound like a flutophone with the fipple blocked with gum or something.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jan 2011, 3:35 am

This is pretty much the only thing I whistle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENyGj_NQKkU[/youtube]

I've been known to do it over and over a little bit. A lot.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:36 am

I hate whistling intensely, like the OP. I also cannot stand many other sounds - it is a particular type of sound sensitivity known as misophonia or "selective sound sensitivity syndrome" (depending on who you talk to).

I remember reading in an old British navy handbook that they had a rule about no whistling on board ships. It was annoying to the other sailors and it could be confused with the pipes used to signal an announcement. I have no idea whether that is still the rule in any navy, but it made a lot of sense to me. When you are cooped up with other people in close quarters, you don't need any extra sources of irritation.

Anyway, sound sensitivity is a major problem for most people on the spectrum. Reacting to whistling is just one of the many different forms that sound sensitivity can take.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:45 am

when i was much younger i used to be able to copy verbatim, the whistling performed by "brother" ben jones [with his backing group "the shadows"] of the tune "sweet georgia brown" aka the harlem globetrotters theme. but like many other youthful facilities, i seem to have lost my whistling mojo as well. drat. i miss it. dearly.

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2011, 7:41 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqdAnGDMU2k[/youtube]

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 7:48 am

Whistling is great. However I can only actually do at certain times. Sometimes I can't whistle at all. :?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:49 am

I think it often sounds great in music, but if anybody starts whistling in real life, it messes up my concentration. Some people really do whistle loud, don't they? :evil:

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

wish I could in tune and do the loud finger one.

How creepy would it be to walk down the hallway at any given hospital wearing an eye patch whistling the twisted nerve theme?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:25 am

i can not tolerate whistling. it grates on my nerves and i start to become annoyed and i think "what gives you the right to trespass on my ears with your impromptu warbling".

i am not asked if i like the song that is being whistled, and i consider it an affront that the person wishes to impose upon me their gratuitous rendition of what they consider to be musical entertainment, and moreover, recite it in a completely unprofessional way with such an inferior instrument as merely their quivering lips.

i have heard professional whistlers chirping away, and i must say that a persons lips do not produce a timbre that is as colorful as any actual musical instrument. mouth organs and bagpipes are almost as bad, but just plain whistling is tedium plus.

however, considering i have ODD, there are occasions that i wish to irritate people with my whistling. i know how it feels to be driven beserk by a persons inane whistling, so i have on occasions reproduced that feeling in others to see what it looks like from the outside.

i find amusement in the expressions on peoples faces who become short tempered at my extemporaneous tunes that i whistle when i am engaged in a boring task.

one example is when i was sixteen, my father was repainting one of his houses, and he had 2 professional painters and me to do the job, and we were all in the same room painting different parts of it.

one fellow started whistling some song that he liked, and he kept at it for quite a while until he fell silent. at that point, i started whistling the most cacophonous arrangements of notes i could think of whilst pretending to be rapturously engaged in my muse.

there was no rhyme nor reason in the arrangement or rhythm of my notes, and the notes i whistled were also nowhere close to the chromatic scale.

i always found australian magpies to be hilarious in their song, so i tried to emulate the disordered frenzy of that kind of whistling, and a painter got sh***y and he asked me to shut up, and i told him that if he is allowed to whistle, then so am i.

he got off his ladder and repeated that i should shut up, and i reminded him that my father was employing him, and that i was merely a trivial occupational hazard for unstable people with potential mental problems.

i started laughing at him and he became very angry, so i backed off, and he got back up his ladder and i took a deep breath and said "now where was i? oh yes..." and i continued to whistle in the way that raised his hackles and i will not say what happened after that, but here is a recording of the australian magpie's call, and my whistling was based on the sound of a magpie.

in this recording, there are two magpies chortling together, but i could only emulate a single magpie, so i guess if you can mentally separate the 2 magpies calls, then you will have an idea of what my whistling sounded like.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10201161

it was hilarious to me and enraging to him, and him becoming enraged made it all the more hilarious to me. i find magpies to be among the funniest sounds i ever heard.

the clip is unfortunately short, and my "song" went on for many minutes before he had had more than enough.