Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bonzo_dog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2011, 1:14 am

I've always thought that for a person on the autism spectrum to hear that job-hunting is all about networking is like if you told a paraplegic that it's all about running.

I particularly have trouble with free-form networking events where it's just everybody standing around in a big room chatting with each other -- my discomfort level can get pretty high. It seems like a lot of the time I look like I'm the only person in the room who's in a group of one.

What are others' experiences?

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 1:32 am

I use LinkedIn a lot. Everyone says that it can't replace face-to-face interactions, and that's mostly true. What it DOES do is introduce you to people that may have similar interests you do.

LinkedIn is more popular in major job markets (New York, LA, etc) than it is in low-growth areas like, say, Tucson. If you live in or near a major city, it's worth a try. Chances are family and friends have LinkedIn accounts, so they make a good starting place.

I have a dash of Autism, and live in DC. People here tell me I am a good networker. Here, networking is an Olympic sport, so I feel confident with the advice I am giving you. Feel free to pm me directly if you need other ideas.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2011, 2:28 am

Join the nearest group, and just listen until you have something to say or they speak to you. Trust me - you can literally just walk into a group and stand in the circle, no one minds. Took me a while to learn that was okay.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:49 am

bonzo_dog wrote:
I've always thought that for a person on the autism spectrum to hear that job-hunting is all about networking is like if you told a paraplegic that it's all about running.

And in a perverse way...that's pretty much it. :(