are you named for someone you don't like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:05 am

My mother wanted to incorporate her brother's name into her first-born son's name. That was me. Only boy actually. Anyway, My uncle has always been kind of a douche. I doubt I'll see him again before he dies.

Anyway, I want to change my middle name to something else. It's my middle name that's the namesake for my uncle, btw.

I was thinking something sci-fi like Skywalker, Vader, Wesley, Tiberius. I initially wanted to change it to Edward but seems everyone associates Edward with a sparkly vampire.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:30 am

I'm named after my father. I'm pretty neutral towards him, though. He's a weird guy and certainly didn't make my mother's life any easier (I was raised by my mother), but he's all right. He can be interesting.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 10:13 am

MasterJedi wrote:
I initially wanted to change it to Edward but seems everyone associates Edward with a sparkly vampire.

Until this "everyone" is a Pole who instantly associates Edward with Edward Gierek http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Gierek :mrgreen: It's an old dude name here as well, very rare in anyone younger than in his 60's.

My mom has her second name after her dad's ex gf.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 3:51 pm

Kill the Cullens!

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

Oh, my name, it has always been my pet-peeve.
Originally I was named Lisa-Marie after Lisa-Marie Presley.
My name has been changed twice since, once my my parents and once by me.

I'm so tempted to change it again to include a really ridiculous middle name.
I love the fact that you can change your name, it's just a little surreal.

Yeah Edward is now ruined, so too is Isabella/Bella which we had chosen for our future first daughters name.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 6:23 pm

My middle name is my mother's first name. My mummy is my best friend; I like having the sharing it with her.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 7:17 pm

Yes, I'm named after my father, who didn't deserve to have anyone named after him, much less me. So since the age of 16 I've used my middle name whenever I could. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to operate under a version of my name, rather the "real" thing.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 7:38 pm

I'm rather neutral towards my great grandfather who my middle name is in honour of. He sounded like quite an arse kicker being only one of 7 people to survive his battalion at the battle of verdun. Never met the chap but from the sounds of him he was quite a miserable bastard but war would make you like that I guess seeing as six of his brothers never came home. Him being the only son to survive in his family as well.

He did die from complications caused by exposure to mustard gas poisoning shortly before i was born

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:35 pm

My middle name was bestowed upon me in honor of my paternal grandfather, who died five years before I was born. Since I never met him, I can't say how I feel about him. :roll: