Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OneDayAtATime
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2011, 3:31 pm

bjcirceleb wrote:
One would think that him being able to identify what he needs and ask for it would see him being congradulated, not punished.

You need to meet with the principle as soon as possible and you need to get some disability advocate to be at the meeting with you. You cannot and should not be sending your son to detention for this.

That was the first thing I said to the counselor when he told me "He cannot use me as a crutch." I literally laughed out loud and said "That's what you're here for, why you get paid your salary!" and I also told DS I was proud of him for going to the counselor as we had discussed. I will take your advice and if I see anymore unreasonable demands I will be enlisting the aid of an advocate. He certainly wasn't punished at home. :roll:

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 4:10 pm

Your son didn't have any option but to end up with a detention by their reckoning.
If he stayed in class and had a meltdown= detention
He leaves and does what he believes he is meant to do=detention
The councilor needs a good slapping, the instructions for your son were obviously not clear, which is NOT his fault, so why would he be punished for their incompetence? Had they said, that if he is going to have a meltdown he needs to ask permission for a pass to leave the class and go to the councilor first, I think you could have/would have told them how stupid that plan of action was.
Perhaps what he needs to do now is at the start of each class ask for a permission slip to go to the councilor because "he may have a melt down".

Predicting a meltdown is a little like a little kid vomiting, as a parent who knows their child we can sometimes see that they look like they are going to possibly throw up, we take action to avoid vomit splattering every where. All the little kid knows is that they feel like crap, occasionally the kid may be able to recognize that they are going to throw up (it's usually to late)but the over whelming crappy feeling is just to much for them to do anything else but stay put.

I would be very proud of my son for removing himself from a stressful situation and getting himself to the councilor.