Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

turkey87953
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2011, 2:44 am

today was a very hot day and i went outside i didnt know my feet were hurting untill i got back inside and realised that the bottom of my feet felt wierd and there were bug blisters on the bottom of my feet that i didnt even know my feet were burning.
is this an aspergers thing?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:33 am

I don't know the term for this, but it does seem that mind/body disconnections are fairly common with autism.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:55 am

Mh, that's the kind of things that could happen to me...or i will come to close to the fire, retreat my hand quickly to check if i got burned, and realise i didn't, which seems to indicate that i'm never sure if i feel pain or something else :P

Kai_Bliss
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2011, 5:14 am

Sometimes I accidentally cut myself and have no idea how it got there because I do not feel the pain until I look at it. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jan 2011, 5:21 am

I find bruises and cuts all the time that I don't remember getting. I can remain functional with many of my migraines. I thought I had mild migraines, but now I wonder if they're as mild as I think. I can tolerate pain pretty well.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:04 am

Sounds like sensory processing dysfunction. People can be hyper- or hypo-sensitive and can be both at once.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:26 am

I sometimes find bruises and cuts on my legs that I don't remember getting. Sometimes I feel a lot of pain and sometimes it seems like the message just doesn't register properly.

Oh... here's a possible example. I had strep throat as a kid and didn't know it. Normally it is supposed to be very painful and uncomfortable, but I was running around doing most everything. Feeling fine. My mom happened to check my temperature, though, and it was really high. I went to the doctor's office and the doctor practically did a double-take when he saw my throat.

Needless to say, I recovered just fine.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2011, 12:25 pm

It might be an autism/aspie thing... Not sure. Pain doesn't bother me at all, such as getting injections or being cut, or even getting minor surgery without general anesthesia. I'm into bodypiercing, and I did all my own (both nipples, both earlobes, and one other that belongs in the Adult section). No problems, and no fear or hesitating. Also I broke my finger once, and the bone was sticking out through my knuckle, and I decided to just wrap it up and finish moving some heavy items before I went to the hospital to get it fixed, if that's an example. I guess you would say I can "shut off" pain, in some cases. I canNOT "shut off" a toothache, or a headache, or a kidney stone. Those are intolerable pain.

Charles

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2011, 1:09 pm

It's possible, and it seems like difficulties in processing sensation, especially pain, are not uncommon among AS individuals. I know the sensation of pain itself doesn't bother me - I work at a deli and have my arms burned by the fryer on a pretty consistent basis, I pick up burning hot objects without safety gloves, and so on. I've also cut or stabbed myself with scissors or knives (not having the best fine motor skills) only to realize it a few hours later when I brush my hand against something and it suddenly hurts.

I also bruise easily or don't feel that pain either, because my arms and legs are always blue-and-green messes. And does anyone else love needles? There is something about that particular sensation I find I enjoy.

AKindOfJareth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

I know there is a family of disorders independent from AS that involve the lacking of pain or sensitivity to certain things (like heat). I forget the name of the condition now but I remember reading about it in a book somewhere.

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

I actually am not bothered by cold unless it is extremely long exposer. I go out in shorts in sub freezing tempetures though.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jan 2011, 6:18 pm

Nerdykid wrote:
I actually am not bothered by cold unless it is extremely long exposer. I go out in shorts in sub freezing tempetures though.

I don't go out in shorts, but I have been known to go out in skirts and dresses. Cold really doesn't bother me, and I've been known to forget to close my window even as the temperature drops well below freezing, causing trouble for the entire house.

Heat, on the other hand is my nemesis.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:42 pm

I am so hypo-sensitive that I have to have a friend check out my body after a football game to make sure there are no missed broken bones or huge holes anywhere. It is ridiculous actually...

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 1:18 am

due to my work, I get bruises of unknown origin all the time... but so do the other people i work amongst. So I figured it must just be a "busy" thing... too busy to realize that the body is taking a toll.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:10 am

I envy the people who have been posting on this thread. I feel everything, no matter how minor. I wish I was better at shutting off pain. It would make some things easier.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:54 am

I've nearly died several times as a result of this.