Page 2174 of 2524 [ 40369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2171, 2172, 2173, 2174, 2175, 2176, 2177 ... 2524  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:33 pm

I'm so sensitive that if I were a TV character, I'd be Sgt. Schultz. Germans cry into their hankies as the British keep calm and carry on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:23 pm

I'm comparing prices of brands of canned cat food, so that I can save even more money on my groceries by eating it. I'm thinking of trying a can of Fancy Feast before I make the bold decision whether to purchase it or not.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 12:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm comparing prices of brands of canned cat food, so that I can save even more money on my groceries by eating it. I'm thinking of trying a can of Fancy Feast before I make the bold decision whether to purchase it or not.

That isn't really cheap. Here are some unconventional food ideas.

Pancakes. Buy the store brand mix, add an egg to the batter for protein and nutrition. Add sugar or artificial sweetener to the batter so you don't have to use syrup. Or, crappy corn syrup syrup is cheap, but for variety you can melt grape jelly in the microwave, maybe thin it a tiny bit with water. Or honey is good, too. I've also put pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices in the batter. Pumpkin and brown sugar make them taste like pumpkin pie, even better with the spices. I also add a spoonful of whey protein powder to pancake mix. Cook them a bunch at a time and eat them right out of the fridge.

Eggs. Search for info about eggs and cholesterol if you are concerned. TL;DR don't worry about it. Eggs are cheap and contain lots of important nutrients IN THE YOLK. Don't discard the yolk. I cook them in the microwave without butter. Scramble, cook on low power, stir after 2 minutes, 1.5 minutes, 1 minute, then every 30 seconds, smashing up the bits that are getting hard. Stop cooking while they are still a bit runny and they'll finish cooking in the bowl. Only the one bowl to clean up.

Oatmeal. The stovetop cooking kind, not the instant kind. Needs sugar or other flavorings. Very cheap. But I do something unconventional with it. I don't cook it. I grind it into a flour in a food processor. I put 30g (about 2 spoonfuls) of it in a bowl, with 10g oat bran (a spoonful), a spoonful of ground flax seed (I grind small amounts of it myself and store it in the fridge), a spoonful of coconut chopped very fine (you can buy it this way, "desiccated", or chop unsweetened coconut yourself). I also put in a spoonful or two of unflavored whey protein powder. For variety of grains I also put in a spoonful of wheat bran and a spoonful of rye flour. For b-vitamins I put in a teaspoon of nutritional yeast. And for flavoring I put in a spoonful of peanut flour. I shovel this into my mouth with a spoon and wash it down with iced coffee flavored with cocoa, artificial sweetener and cream, but I've also just used water. In that case, put the cocoa and sweetener in the grains mix. I use my teeth rather than my lips on the spoon so the dry mix doesn't stick to it. Weird, but eating it this way is super simple and easy to clean up. No cooking required. You can prepare multiple servings in glass jars.

Olive oil. Eating cheap tends to be carb-heavy and you won't get enough fats or protein. If you're eating for sustenance and not for flavor and joy, add some fat to your diet in the form of olive oil. Don't cheap out here. Some oils are very bad for you, and olive oil in the amounts you're going to eat is cheap enough. Just eat a couple spoonfuls of it every now and then. Good for taking with your multivitamin, as some vitamins are fat soluble. Olive oil kinda burns the throat, so plan on washing it down immediately with water. I also do coconut oil once in a while.

The cheapest forms of protein are cottage cheese and chicken. There's also peanut butter right off the spoon or as a sandwich, but watch the sugar. Yogurt, if you like it, is good for you, and greek yogurt has less sugar. I get the plain stuff and add vanilla and artificial sweetener. I usually also add frozen fruit or peanut butter. Milk is also a source of protein and calcium, if you like it by itself or on your oatmeal. Whey protein powder has gotten expensive, but I also put a spoonful of it in things and it isn't expensive a spoonful at a time. I also eat pecans and pistachios, but they aren't cheap.

When you eat dairy, use the whole fat variety to get calories and fat in your diet, or if you are eating other sources of fat for health (coconut and coconut oil, flax seed, nuts, olive oil), you can eat the low- or non-fat variety for the protein.

I don't much like rice, nutritionally or otherwise, but I've made rice pilaf (recipe online) and put frozen broccoli in it.

For my main meal I will put frozen broccoli, spinach, leeks, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce and chicken or pork (chopped into tiny pieces and frozen in plastic containers from the restaurant supply store, thaw in the fridge a day in advance) in a big bowl and cook it in the microwave on medium heat, stirring fairly often. Make sure you cook long enough the meat is HOT. You can also cook the meat in advance and store it in individual servings in the freezer.

Some of my diet comes from the high protein needs of weightlifting, but increasing fats and protein and decreasing carbs is also good for avoiding insulin insensitivity and diabetes. I don't eat pancakes anymore, I list them since you are concerned about costs. All of the carbs I eat are incidental (e.g. in the yogurt) or in high-fiber grains or fruits and vegetables.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 2:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Canned pet food is actually a lot more expensive than human food. Cost per calorie, its not going to save you money. Most canned cat foods have the same calories as a large slice of whole grain bread.

If you need help figuring out some easy to prepare alternatives that fit your budget, please don't hesitate to ask :-)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 6:56 pm

Thank you for the food tips everyone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 6:59 pm

I hope to have a steady stream of lots of customers at the flea market from open to close, tomorrow.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 2:19 am

TenMinutes wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

That isn't really cheap. Here are some unconventional food ideas.

Pancakes. Buy the store brand mix, add an egg to the batter for protein and nutrition. Add sugar or artificial sweetener to the batter so you don't have to use syrup. Or, crappy corn syrup syrup is cheap, but for variety you can melt grape jelly in the microwave, maybe thin it a tiny bit with water. Or honey is good, too. I've also put pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices in the batter. Pumpkin and brown sugar make them taste like pumpkin pie, even better with the spices. I also add a spoonful of whey protein powder to pancake mix. Cook them a bunch at a time and eat them right out of the fridge.

Eggs. Search for info about eggs and cholesterol if you are concerned. TL;DR don't worry about it. Eggs are cheap and contain lots of important nutrients IN THE YOLK. Don't discard the yolk. I cook them in the microwave without butter. Scramble, cook on low power, stir after 2 minutes, 1.5 minutes, 1 minute, then every 30 seconds, smashing up the bits that are getting hard. Stop cooking while they are still a bit runny and they'll finish cooking in the bowl. Only the one bowl to clean up.

Oatmeal. The stovetop cooking kind, not the instant kind. Needs sugar or other flavorings. Very cheap. But I do something unconventional with it. I don't cook it. I grind it into a flour in a food processor. I put 30g (about 2 spoonfuls) of it in a bowl, with 10g oat bran (a spoonful), a spoonful of ground flax seed (I grind small amounts of it myself and store it in the fridge), a spoonful of coconut chopped very fine (you can buy it this way, "desiccated", or chop unsweetened coconut yourself). I also put in a spoonful or two of unflavored whey protein powder. For variety of grains I also put in a spoonful of wheat bran and a spoonful of rye flour. For b-vitamins I put in a teaspoon of nutritional yeast. And for flavoring I put in a spoonful of peanut flour. I shovel this into my mouth with a spoon and wash it down with iced coffee flavored with cocoa, artificial sweetener and cream, but I've also just used water. In that case, put the cocoa and sweetener in the grains mix. I use my teeth rather than my lips on the spoon so the dry mix doesn't stick to it. Weird, but eating it this way is super simple and easy to clean up. No cooking required. You can prepare multiple servings in glass jars.

Olive oil. Eating cheap tends to be carb-heavy and you won't get enough fats or protein. If you're eating for sustenance and not for flavor and joy, add some fat to your diet in the form of olive oil. Don't cheap out here. Some oils are very bad for you, and olive oil in the amounts you're going to eat is cheap enough. Just eat a couple spoonfuls of it every now and then. Good for taking with your multivitamin, as some vitamins are fat soluble. Olive oil kinda burns the throat, so plan on washing it down immediately with water. I also do coconut oil once in a while.

The cheapest forms of protein are cottage cheese and chicken. There's also peanut butter right off the spoon or as a sandwich, but watch the sugar. Yogurt, if you like it, is good for you, and greek yogurt has less sugar. I get the plain stuff and add vanilla and artificial sweetener. I usually also add frozen fruit or peanut butter. Milk is also a source of protein and calcium, if you like it by itself or on your oatmeal. Whey protein powder has gotten expensive, but I also put a spoonful of it in things and it isn't expensive a spoonful at a time. I also eat pecans and pistachios, but they aren't cheap.

When you eat dairy, use the whole fat variety to get calories and fat in your diet, or if you are eating other sources of fat for health (coconut and coconut oil, flax seed, nuts, olive oil), you can eat the low- or non-fat variety for the protein.

I don't much like rice, nutritionally or otherwise, but I've made rice pilaf (recipe online) and put frozen broccoli in it.

For my main meal I will put frozen broccoli, spinach, leeks, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce and chicken or pork (chopped into tiny pieces and frozen in plastic containers from the restaurant supply store, thaw in the fridge a day in advance) in a big bowl and cook it in the microwave on medium heat, stirring fairly often. Make sure you cook long enough the meat is HOT. You can also cook the meat in advance and store it in individual servings in the freezer.

Some of my diet comes from the high protein needs of weightlifting, but increasing fats and protein and decreasing carbs is also good for avoiding insulin insensitivity and diabetes. I don't eat pancakes anymore, I list them since you are concerned about costs. All of the carbs I eat are incidental (e.g. in the yogurt) or in high-fiber grains or fruits and vegetables.

Almost like my diet, especially with eggs and oatmeal.
Minus vegetables, owning a microwave and any complicated processes of cooking.

... Hmm...
Maybe I'd ask my whole house if we could invest a microwave...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 2:29 am

ofcourse the opnions of teens and corporations is entirely based in data

what's the point of anything then??
why trust your own lying eyes, repeat after me

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2022, 3:08 am

Where am I going to get the money to pay my hospital bill?

I recently had 2 admittances to UPMC Memorial Hospital here in beautiful(?) West Manchester Township. The first admittance was due to dehydration, diabetes, and a kidney stone. The urologist operated and put in a stent in order to drain the infection into a Foley bag. I was released from the hospital a week later.

The second admittance was 24 hours after I was released. I got up that morning, tried to get out of bed, and immediately fell on the floor. Turns out my feet are swollen. I would have been prescribed furosemide, except for 1) the kidney stone and 2) I have been diagnosed BBC with stage 3A chronic kidney disease. So far, Medicare has paid all but $900.00 of that bill. I go back to UPMC for outpatient surgery to 1) remove the stent and 2) have laser lithotripsy performed to break up those stones. I have no idea how much that is going to cost me further, after Medicare pays for that procedure. (Nice way to celebrate my 65th birthday.)

To make matters worse, I’m trying to apply for an Adult Autism Waiver in PA. Of course Gov. Wolf has everything screwed up (he and Biden are birds of a feather. Politically, I’m an equally opportunity offender. I can’t stand the policies of either party.) Finally, I’m expecting the city housing authority to be here sometime this week to reinspect my apartment. While it’s dearer than it was, I’m fully expecting to be evicted, as the cleanliness does not need HUD standards.

It’s sending my anxiety through the roof

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:42 am

I would like to apologize for grossing everyone out with my talks about cat food over the past two days. I'm in the process of finding a job so I can still eat my favourite foods such as different types of meat instead of just tuna and salmon burgers. I've been eating 2 canned meat burgers for dinner for nearly 15 nights and I'm not a happy camper. I miss my pork chops, chicken and pork roasts. I miss my spätzle and potatoes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:04 am

I've always had a hunch that The Lemon Pipers were British. Now I've seen a single on YouTube that's under the PYE label that confirms the hunch that I've had all these years.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:35 am

I wish i could take a paid leave, i am feeling burnt out

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 12:12 pm

I might get my haircut today. I am reluctant to get one though, because they might just give me a pixie cut when I ask for a men's haircut again. I hate pixie cuts because everyone thinks I'm a girl with one. People don't even read me as female as much with the long hair that I currently have, so getting a haircut like that would defeat the purpose of having shorter hair.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 12:51 pm

300 km of Interlagos.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:09 pm

I've just had two small tuna burgers for dinner, without mayo because I need to get some. I think I'm going to die in my sleep. Canned fish burgers without mayonnaise for the next 10 nights is not going to kill me.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:26 pm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... /?amp=true