Page 2157 of 2518 [ 40280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2154, 2155, 2156, 2157, 2158, 2159, 2160 ... 2518  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 6:48 am

Why 'rely' on something so... Unreliable?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 5:44 pm

People staring at me is one of the things that frustrates me the most. I want people to leave me the f**k alone. I hate people. I don't even have to do anything and everyone looks at me weird.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:33 am

Can't find the right stuff on the net, couldn't find the right stuff locally... Yet.

Aaannd I don't wanna end up spending 2 to 3 times a cost of something meant for repeated use/bulk buy/whatever-I-only-use-it-once-maker just for a single project.

Can't wait until Sunday.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:04 pm

My aunt asked me if I got chest binding tape because of that guy targeting me (to like, make myself less desirable to men or whatever). I just want a flat chest because I'm trans. lol I get the concern though.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:09 pm

I'd get and get to wear a binder because I actually need sensory pressure input on my torso... :o

Now I had a tiny moment of meltdown.
But instead of destructive violent rage, contained or focused, it's more like akin to just suddenly running away...

For a moment, I lost my sense of preservation.
I lost a lot of things to mind for a moment -- how late I'm, how my bag could be so fragile and it may fall off, how much I'd be sweating and may smell after, how dangerous it actually is running across the road and without looking left and right, and whatever everyone else was thinking when they saw me sprinting whether it's funny or unfunny...
In fact, sight was irrelevant. The noise was irrelevant... Not even tiredness of sprinting or where my body is at... Only that it's running on it's own. For a moment I didn't have to mind breathing.

And it felt good....... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:19 pm

My mother is recovered, mostly. From COVID-19 that is. 60ish, so not young, but not too old. Severe underlyings. A "mild" course. Immunocompetent. The only treatments, which were recommended by me: she's taken 2000 IU of Vitamin D daily for a couple of years and took Cetirizine throughout the course of illness, both in the hopes of lowering inflammation. About the same as me in the end, albeit I'm a few days behind her. 40ish. She generally did better than relatives of similar age or younger. :?

I suppose that's our pandemic experience, just rather late in the game.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:30 pm

I'm glad you're both doing better now, Dill.

Was the anti-inflammatory just for her breathing, or did she have inflammation elsewhere?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:48 pm

Thanks, IsabellaLinton,

Cetirizine is just a basic antihistamine that one can probably find in their local grocery store, let alone a chemist. It'll lower proinflammatory mediators that might be detrimental by causing too much cellular damage (I won't lecture, but that explains it); SARS-CoV-2 has a lovely habit of causing the release of said mediators (I'll stop myself for lecturing why that is too), which isn't the best thing to have happen to one's lungs. There's some peer reviewed stuff out there on such. It helps with Long Covid too for the same overall reason. Any antihistamine will do in the end.

I figure that it's not going to hurt, and the theory for why they'd be beneficial is solid. Standard dosage.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:23 am

Dillogic wrote:
Thanks, IsabellaLinton,

Cetirizine is just a basic antihistamine that one can probably find in their local grocery store, let alone a chemist. It'll lower proinflammatory mediators that might be detrimental by causing too much cellular damage (I won't lecture, but that explains it); SARS-CoV-2 has a lovely habit of causing the release of said mediators (I'll stop myself for lecturing why that is too), which isn't the best thing to have happen to one's lungs. There's some peer reviewed stuff out there on such. It helps with Long Covid too for the same overall reason. Any antihistamine will do in the end.

I figure that it's not going to hurt, and the theory for why they'd be beneficial is solid. Standard dosage.

Please do lecture me with it. :o If you don't mind.

It's my mom's antihistamine of choice and she gets moderate symptoms of COVID if she gets it while also being a front liner.

Not to mention why I didn't get affected as much and recovered well.
Because I've been taking antihistamines daily in hopes it'll stop whatever rhinitis reaction I've been dealing for years.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 5:57 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Please do lecture me with it. :o If you don't mind.

Sure. I don't mind. Good to hear both you and your mother recovered.

The spike trimer of SARS-CoV-2 has a high GAG-binding energy (Heparan Sulfate Glycoproteins), higher than even SARS-CoV (ain't that a thing). The spike trimer binds to them prior to hACE2 binding and subsequent fusion. This leads to activation of the compliment system. Alternate compliment with Heparan Sulfate Glycoproteins (HSGPs). Likely classical and lectin pathways too, but don't worry about those. It does this via taking out compliment inhibitors which HSGPs interact with. This leads to degranulation of mast cells via some things complement activation releases (anaphylatoxins). The degranulation of mast cells leads to the release of Histamine. Enter inflammation as Histamine triggers multiple proinflammatory chemokines and cytokines which basically nuke wherever the virus is replicating. When this happens in the lungs, it's kinda bad news, as alveolar epithelial inflammation and lung injury starts happening, and it'll keep on going until the body thinks there's nothing left to nuke. This is why antivirals need to be given very early before the lungs have marked viral infiltration to work well. The longer the infection goes on and replication isn't stopped, the more and more Histamine is released, so more and more proinflammatory chemokines and cytokines are doing their thing, which leads to more and more damage. You eventually get to ARDS in the worst case.

An antihistamine is somewhat of a roadblock to the whole thing. Not a silver bullet, but something that in theory will decrease the severity, as you're decreasing the amount of proinflammatory mediators in circulation due to less Histamine. Compliment and/or Heparan Sulfate Glycoprotein blockers can stop it in its tracks.

As an aside, Omicron doesn't infiltrate the lungs as much compared to the former mutants due to inefficient use of TMPRSS2, so we'll see less severe disease. S2 of the spike trimer, the part that fuses to hACE2, is cleaved via TMPRSS2 and not just furin at the S1/S2 junction, so fusogenicity is inhibited since it doesn't utilize it efficiently. Most humans now will be capable of fighting the virus off before marked infiltration of the lungs occurs. However, it'll still happen in those that have a weakened immune system for whatever reason, and some people do have genetic defects in antiviral immunity (interferon 1).

Autism out, I guess.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 9:39 pm

I got two of my little cousins a couple gummy tarantulas for tomorrow. My aunt said that their mom doesn't allow them to have candy though, so I'm going to have to sneak it to them... lol

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:05 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Now I had a tiny moment of meltdown. But instead of destructive violent rage, contained or focused, it's more like akin to just suddenly running away... For a moment, I lost my sense of preservation. And it felt good.......

Missed this interesting post.

Firstly, sorry for your tiny meltdown. What you explain with your lack of fear for one's self is how it goes. The lack of care for nothing but a single purpose, and that would have been just running away in your instance. Some don't ever experience it. Some now and again as the situation calls for it, i.e., anything that causes enough stress in the moment. For some, it stays switched on after a stressful event or events. Mine got stuck on after a single event. Since then, I have no fear for myself, no self-preservation, and I watch out for myself for say, my mother (I'm a carer after all). I feel that panic and anxiety from stressful events and disorder/illness, but it's not over my safety. In a way, it does feel good when you're in a stressful situation (a meltdown is such), as your mind is clear and you have something akin to...mental freedom and inner peace. It's the ultimate form of distraction therapy. It's generally not the best when you're living the rest of your life, as it leads to nihilism and melancholia, especially when one is isolated from others. This is my experience anyway.

Dunno what's on my mind. Mostly a waste of worry for my mother and COVID-19 in the end. I should listen to my own mantra: the thing you aren't worried about is usually the thing that gets you. Other stuff, I guess.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for hopefully six days of hiding in nature. How long I'll be gone will come down to one of two things...the weather and my water supply. I had planned to leave earlier this week, but I still had lingering fatigue and then something important came up. Mostly I'm glad I can get out of here this week at all. I'm still calling it a win. Packing is mostly done. I still need to grab some clothes, and the food has to wait until tomorrow. Beyond that, everything else is checked off my prep list. More things to do around the house today. I need to mow the lawn and get more cleaning done. I can't stand coming home to a dirty/cluttered house after being gone or having to stress the yard when I'd rather relax after unpacking. Nothing planned for the day beyond that so it should be easy enough to get it all done. It's good to have the energy again and not require naps throughout the day. I'm looking forward to getting out of here. I need this. My sanity needs this.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:03 pm

moving by the end of the year; probably to florida. there’s a family business that’d be able to be worked for around boats, if not in the water(if able to dive with the lungs had), while it’d also allow going back to school, given there’s nothing invested in them here outside of the most costly area of nashville. actually having public transit again, until able to drive again, would also be good.

the alternative is returning to california, but without going to school, and gaining experience, heading back at the moment would be like jumping into a tar pit for the millionth time hoping for different results just because the familiarity would be rather comfortable deep down. it’s a place one can only thrive once established, otherwise it’s hell.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:29 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting out of here. I need this. My sanity needs this.

I know the feeling well. Wishing you the best on your journey.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:39 pm

I have been sleeping pretty well the past couple of nights, and have only woken up once each time. I hope I keep sleeping like this.