Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

XLCR wrote:
John, I just read 'Look Me in the Eye' as well as your brother's book and thoroughly enjoyed both. I will be ordering your new one soon. Though your brother's thought processes seem foreign to me, yours are very familiar. In fact, your LIFE seems very familiar. Mine followed many of the same paths. My father was probably an Aspie, he certainly had gifts, he was a card-counter who never lost a game of poker that I saw, and a superb pianist. He could in fact play almost anything. I guess parent wise, I was considerably more fortunate.

But my life was still miserable until I dropped out of school and joined a band. By the age of 20 I was on the road and I stayed out there for the better part of 20 years. The biggest difference is, though I'm also a good sound tech and I'm now doing sound for a concert company started by the local mayor, my real talent is playing lead guitar. I've even built a guitar, but it's a fairly normal Tele, with no lights or bombs. I'm also into working on cars, but right now I'm fixated on Fox Mustangs, I have two and am looking at another one.

I found out the same thing you did, musicians are more tolerant. Many are misfits themselves, and they are a lot less interested in your social skills and more into what you can do. If you can perform, you are in. I've noticed other groups that are more open-minded, like bikers for instance. I used to ride my Harley to Sturgis every year and never had any trouble getting along with people. Bike riders in general tend to be tolerant except for that whole stupid Japs vs Harleys thing.

I am 55 and have just been diagnosed. Until now I thought of myself as a failure, because everyone thought I was so smart and talented when I was young, and some have said I was lazy and failed to live up to my potential. Now I realize that without knowing what my social problems were all about I still managed to avoid getting trapped in the circle jerk of a career where progress is all about networking and social brown-nosing. I'm sure I would have found it as distressing and unsatisfying as you did. I am now working happily at the local library with a batch of other misfits, and I am content that considering everything I have not done so poorly for myself after all.
Great story .I can relate. I used to feel that my inept social skills derailed any potential that I had ,at least I now know the reason for my social ineptness.

EllenDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

Anyone else who is interested in going to John's talks in Australia, the blog has just been updated:

Quote:
I'll be at the Melbourne Writer's Festival which runs from August 25-September 4. I arrive in time for the Author Reception at 7PM Sept 1st. I'll be appearing at the BMW Edge theatre at 9PM Friday, Sept 2nd. I'll be participating in events Saturday afternoon, and again on Sunday at ACMI The Cube, at 4PM.

I'll also be at the Brisbane Writer's Festival, which runs from Sept 7-11.

The Melbourne writers festival has a website (I'll let you Google it, 'cause I'm not sure it's ok to post the link) - you can buy tickets on it, but the Sunday appearance is free with no booking required.

Z35TYL3M0N
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

Great book, terrible affliction

militia71
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

I read Mr. Robison's first book at a pretty crucial time. I had recenty been diagnsed at the age of 39yr (while looking into finding some help for my daughter), and was trying to devour everything available to me about Asperger's -- like I do with most topics of interest. However, when I was looking at our local library for information, everything seemed to be geared towards adolescence and younger-- mostly written with PARENTS of children with AS in mind. Then, I found Look Me in the Eye. I remembered it from when I was previously working part-time at a bookstore and had even read the dust jacket. I usually have about three books going at once, but I buckled down with it, finsihing it in two days. I read it with very mixed emotions. In some ways, I found comfort in it. It helped me start my own check list of traits and memories. But, I found myself also using it like a wedge between my AS and myself. "Oh, I don't have that same trait or experience. So, I don't have Asperger's." However, since then, I have come to terms with a lot. And, by working with a great psychologist, I feel more comfortable with myself and better equiped to help my daughter.That said, I really look forward to reading the new book. I went to find it in our local library, but they didn't even have one copy in the whole county. This is odd, considerig our town has a nationally known facility that works with autism spectrum disorders.So, I decided to buy a copy, read it and donate it (maybe even two). Not the best for book sales, but knowledge should stay free, right? Thanks, John Elder Robison!

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm

Kiran wrote:
I just love the term ''free-range aspergian'' :D

me too. I want to read the book

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

Malisha - that is some fine writing there. A good story in itself! I feel you and I share some similar life experiences.
As for the book, I bought it 'cuz I couldn't find it at the libraries. It's good - at first though I felt geez this guy is too smart for me to have anything in common with...
But then I laughed so hard at his escapades, (having been a bit of a trickster when I was younger) also some of his survival techniques gave me seeds of ideas for how to proceed in my life, and as Malisha said, he gets across to the reader that one can be happy.
That's big for me because of various reasons to numerous to mention.

Thumbs up for the book.