Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2011, 7:49 pm

I am looking forward to this book.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

robh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2011, 11:09 am

John's story sounds very similar to my own. School was hell for me, things only started to make sense when I took control for myself.

So many of the aspie traits, like the constant eye movement, looking for threats, are side effects of other differences. Still doctors fails to see that.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2011, 2:14 am

I have always wondered if JER ever met Bon Scott, AC/DC's original lead singer. The lads toured with Kiss in the '70s.

*************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

Daryl, I never met Bon Scott . . . thanks to the rest of you for your enthusiasm and support. I hope to see some of you in my travels this spring. I have a schedule of my speaking events at http://johnelderrobison.blogspot.com

Most of my events are free and open to everyone.

Be Different will be out in print, audio, and e-book all at the same time, on March 22

Misfit138
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2011, 1:07 pm

Thanks for the book John. I am sincerely happy for you.
Sadly, I feel that most of my life has been spent on trying to fit in, function, and merely survive. I am now 40 years old and don't even know what 'I like' any more.
Recreation, creativity, leisure, vacation, success- these are foreign words to me. Growing up in an abusive home and Life in an NT world has been serious, angry business.
I am painfully aware that many aspies have been blessed with certain gifts which often coincide with the condition. Unfortunately, such talents, tools and the ensuing successful application thereof have eluded me.
Seeing highlights of your life is a reminder of being left behind.

marylise2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2011, 2:09 am

Your source for great games and books for any occasion. We don’t sell everything out there, just the best:Educational Games,Classic Games, Foreign Language Games BOARD &

Strategy games for kids

JustEmbers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2011, 1:46 pm

I am SO very glad I saw this. The first book I read post-Dx on AS was Mr. Robinson's book Look Me in the Eye, and it was extremely helpful. Can't stress how helpful that was (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that). It was a "You mean I'm not a defective freak of nature? That there are actually other people who are at least somewhat like me, and in these ways?" moment that was almost indescribable. I didn't know about this next book until I stopped by here today, and I am going to pre-order it right away.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

Misfit138 wrote:
Thanks for the book John. I am sincerely happy for you.
Sadly, I feel that most of my life has been spent on trying to fit in, function, and merely survive. I am now 40 years old and don't even know what 'I like' any more.
Recreation, creativity, leisure, vacation, success- these are foreign words to me. Growing up in an abusive home and Life in an NT world has been serious, angry business.
I am painfully aware that many aspies have been blessed with certain gifts which often coincide with the condition. Unfortunately, such talents, tools and the ensuing successful application thereof have eluded me.
Seeing highlights of your life is a reminder of being left behind.

+ 1

I share your sentiments. I can't helping thinking putting out their the "successful" aspies is a bit of a double edged sword. It puts unnecessary pressure on AS children especially if their not meeting their parents expectations. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps the success may give hope to parents and may stop neurotic parents from putting a pillow over their asd child's face when they sleep at night.

MichaelDWhite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2011, 9:21 pm

I just placed my pre-order :D Really looking forward to this book.

I certainly see some truth in what Misfit138 is saying. Hearing about, and in my case actually being around, very successful Aspies can make me feel a bit inferior. But I always try to maintain the hope that there is something I can do to improve, maybe I won't be as successful as these other people, but I can be better than I am now.

"Be Different" is supposed to contain specific, detailed advice on self-improvement for Aspies.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2011, 12:56 am

Yes, but KISS sucks....

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

Like John, my passion is electronics. It's stories like this that make me more proud than I already am to be an Aspie with a passion for electronics. Like John, I had a very similar life. In fact, my father saw the documentary on the science channel and told me how similar I was. I always enjoyed radios though, and always enjoyed RF electronics, particularly those found in radios and TVs. The design and operation of AM/FM radios has always intrigued me, as well as the new digital technologies. I hope I can be as successful as John.

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

My teenage daughter was recently dx with AS and JER's memoir was the first book I read about it. I enjoyed it very much, but I think this is the book I needed. Thanks for writing it John.

To those of you who are struggling finding meaning in your situations: though you may not be able to see it, you have gifts, talents and experiences to share that are valuable to so many. Personally, I can't say how incredibly much it means to me to hear your stories because they enrich my life through increased knowledge and understanding. I WANT so much to get what you are going through and to understand your thoughts and feelings. I WANT to know what I can do to make the lives of all people, who are "blessed" or "cursed" with less than neurotypical minds, happier, more fulfilling and more understood. I too am atypical (dx ADD and some common characteristics of AS) and have felt far from understood throughout my entire 42 years of life, which I hate immeasurably; but perhaps that is what drives my desire to grasp what you all are going through. If you can do nothing else, please share your lives and experiences with others. Even the smallest things you do can make such a difference to others.

axeb
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2011, 2:06 am

I look forward to reading this.

MichaelDWhite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2011, 10:59 am

Started reading this a couple days ago. Some pearls of wisdom I've found so far:

At the end of a chapter about manners he says:

Quote:
And I accomplish it all with a minimum of posturing and false behavior, and just a little compromise of efficiency.

What he's saying is that he's improved his social life by spending a little more time doing "nice" things like holding doors open for people. It takes extra time but doesn't involve doing anything "fake". The fear of having to act fake is one of the things that has kept me form moving forward in my social life. Being inefficient is a lot more appealing than being fake, definitely something to think about.

Quote:
Unfortunately, a logical, morals-based behavioral strategy breaks down in casual interactions, the sort one has at a party.

I've definitely learned this one through experience. People often don't appreciate morals as much as they say they do. Morals and logic are the last things some people want to be confronted with at parties.

The way he refers to NTs as "Nypicals" takes some getting used to. Maybe it's for the best, though, since "NT" has taken on a negative connotation as discussed elsewhere here at WP. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt155439.html

Anyone else reading this? What are your thoughts so far?

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2011, 8:58 pm

I loved his talk. If he is coming near you, go--- it was worth the awful snowy commute!

axeb
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm

MichaelDWhite wrote:
Started reading this a couple days ago. Some pearls of wisdom I've found so far:

At the end of a chapter about manners he says:
Quote:
And I accomplish it all with a minimum of posturing and false behavior, and just a little compromise of efficiency.

What he's saying is that he's improved his social life by spending a little more time doing "nice" things like holding doors open for people. It takes extra time but doesn't involve doing anything "fake". The fear of having to act fake is one of the things that has kept me form moving forward in my social life. Being inefficient is a lot more appealing than being fake, definitely something to think about.

Quote:
Unfortunately, a logical, morals-based behavioral strategy breaks down in casual interactions, the sort one has at a party.

I've definitely learned this one through experience. People often don't appreciate morals as much as they say they do. Morals and logic are the last things some people want to be confronted with at parties.

Anyone else reading this? What are your thoughts so far?

If feel suddenly to have things in common with someone.