Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2011, 7:05 pm

I just opted out of a nude scanner last week! The TSA lady patting me down didn't touch my REALLY private areas, just felt really lightly over my butt with the back of her hand. She didn't pat me down as thoroughly as I expected, and I could have smuggled stuff in certain areas of my body that she wouldn't have caught. (and I didn't go through a metal detector afterward)

The worst part was waiting for someone to come pat me down. The person that patted me down was the same one that directed me to the scanner, although it looked like she called for someone else to do it. They also wouldn't let me take my belongings off the x-ray machine belt; another TSA guy picked them up and put them on a table behind me. (my camera and wallet were out)

I asked why I was singled out to be scanned/ patted down, and the lady said it was at random. However, I'm a 23-year-old female that was traveling by myself. Was it more than just being random? (did they want whomever that was viewing the scanner images to get a kick out of my virtual naked body?)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:47 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
I just opted out of a nude scanner last week! The TSA lady patting me down didn't touch my REALLY private areas, just felt really lightly over my butt with the back of her hand. She didn't pat me down as thoroughly as I expected, and I could have smuggled stuff in certain areas of my body that she wouldn't have caught. (and I didn't go through a metal detector afterward)

They are supposed to go up your inner leg until they "hit resistance". That means like to your private area. With me, they went up to the testicles. They are supposed to feel the front also! With me, it was either side of my penis. so they failed to deal with you as they should have.

Quote:
The worst part was waiting for someone to come pat me down. The person that patted me down was the same one that directed me to the scanner, although it looked like she called for someone else to do it. They also wouldn't let me take my belongings off the x-ray machine belt; another TSA guy picked them up and put them on a table behind me. (my camera and wallet were out)

TYPICAL! It SHOULD be illegal, but they often even deny you the ability to even SEE your belongings!

Quote:
I asked why I was singled out to be scanned/ patted down, and the lady said it was at random. However, I'm a 23-year-old female that was traveling by myself. Was it more than just being random? (did they want whomever that was viewing the scanner images to get a kick out of my virtual naked body?)

You never know. I am SURE it isn't 100% random.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 1:54 pm

Uhura wrote:
I had hoped it wasn't as bad as peope say but I guess it is. Judging from what I've read here and heard other places, it's like inviting them to rape you.

That's so true. They say the terrorists are extremists, I think these airport people are, too. I wonder if they feel your eyes to see if you're wearing contacts, and to make sure there's nothing under the contacts.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 2:10 pm

Uhura wrote:
What is the security really like? Is it as bad/invasive as people say? Has anyone been through it recently?

It is invasive and it does not really make things safer for travelers. They get the worst of both worlds: groping by the gate agents and danger from terrorists unabated.

ruveyn

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:48 pm

Wait, do you suppose this could fall under the category of like harrassment or something? I mean, they are touching people, perhaps inappropriately, and perhaps with the intention of doing so.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain