Do library books make you want to wash your hands?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

29 Jan 2011, 1:08 pm

It may just be me, but I find myself extremely germ-conscious anytime I handle a library book. Something about thinking of all the possibilities of contaminants left by virtually anyone in general just plain disgusts me to the point of almost being OCD like one of Asimov's Spacers.



MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,160
Location: in an open field west of a white house

29 Jan 2011, 2:05 pm

Not to mention the fact that libraries are hang-outs for the homeless. Not to say they're all filthy. I've been homeless. Looking for a place to take a safe shower ain't easy.


_________________
That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.


ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,315
Location: Galway, Ireland

29 Jan 2011, 2:46 pm

Doesn't really bother me, I'm remarkable indifferent to filth (although I myself am not filthy) :lol:


_________________
The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists - Erwin Schrodinger

Member of the WP Strident Atheists


Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,663
Location: Untied Kingdom

29 Jan 2011, 3:01 pm

If they keep them in the toilet.

One thing I wonder is does being germphobic make you more susceptible to them?


_________________
Not currently a moderator


MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,160
Location: in an open field west of a white house

29 Jan 2011, 3:08 pm

Moog wrote:
One thing I wonder is does being germphobic make you more susceptible to them?


Yes, actually. Fear can release stress hormones making you more susceptible to disease.


_________________
That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.


Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,663
Location: Untied Kingdom

29 Jan 2011, 3:12 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
Moog wrote:
One thing I wonder is does being germphobic make you more susceptible to them?


Yes, actually. Fear can release stress hormones making you more susceptible to disease.


That's what I would suspect. Cheers.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,871
Location: Midwest

29 Jan 2011, 5:17 pm

Double post.



Last edited by arielhawksquill on 29 Jan 2011, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,871
Location: Midwest

29 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

Coming into contact with small doses of a wide variety of germs is incredibly strengthening to the immune system. People who live in a perfectly sterile bubble have no resistance.

I have used libraries and worked in libraries all my life and have never worried about germs. Paper isn't a good medium for microorganisms anyway (too dry.)



wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2011
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,486

29 Jan 2011, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Do library books make you want to wash your hands?


Now they do! 8O



SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,836
Location: a bubble called Cognitive Entropy

29 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

Jeah they do. I never touch my face after having been in contact with objects outside 15 min after a leave home. My hands need to be clean ( priority, dry),


_________________
I'm not here to enjoy life, I'm here to withstand it.
AAA
Crosseyed God
:::)


Hydrant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 44

29 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm

Nope. Never crossed my mind.



Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,096
Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

29 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm

Immune system.
Mine works.


_________________
Music Theory 101: Cadences.
Authentic cadence: V-I
Plagal cadence: IV-I
Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

29 Jan 2011, 11:40 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.


And what happens if a person with a communicable disease, such as HIV, handled a book that you later handled? What's the probability of transference?



Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,096
Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

29 Jan 2011, 11:44 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.


And what happens if a person with a communicable disease, such as HIV, handled a book that you later handled? What's the probability of transference?


I couldn't say offhand, but I'd imagine that the chances would be about the same as catching HIV from a toilet seat, which, as I understand it, are low.
What if someone sick sat on a park bench that I rested my hands on while sitting on it? What if someone coughs on me on the train?
I'm not going to stop doing things that I enjoy, such as going to parks, catching trains and reading books that I can't afford to buy, just because of some small risk of illness.


_________________
Music Theory 101: Cadences.
Authentic cadence: V-I
Plagal cadence: IV-I
Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

29 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Immune system.
Mine works.


And what happens if a person with a communicable disease, such as HIV, handled a book that you later handled? What's the probability of transference?


I couldn't say offhand, but I'd imagine that the chances would be about the same as catching HIV from a toilet seat, which, as I understand it, are low.
What if someone sick sat on a park bench that I rested my hands on while sitting on it? What if someone coughs on me on the train?
I'm not going to stop doing things that I enjoy, such as going to parks, catching trains and reading books that I can't afford to buy, just because of some small risk of illness.


Stopping? Not saying to do that. However, I still find it disconcerting to think of how easily any disease can spread within a city.