Truths that need to be continually repeated.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 1:45 am

I know that there are morality truth that often a repeated continually in our every day lives.
such as God is good, honesty is the best policy and just be yourself.

But I wonder if their is any scientific truths or hard facts that need to be repeated in our
every day lives. Obviously it isn't necessary to repeat the sky is blue, or the bugatti veyron
is a fast car, because we already know this. How about Darwins Law Of Evolution is a valid
science Newton law of motion is correct.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:05 am

Science shouldn't ever be something that is repeated like a mantra or memorized like a catechism. For the laws of motion, it would be better to watch birds as they fly and think, 'there are laws that govern that.' For evolution, it would be better to play with an evolutionary algorithm like this one every once in a while:
http://boxcar2d.com/
or, even better, understand the underlying rules well enough that you can create your own algorithm.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:04 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I know that there are morality truth that often a repeated continually in our every day lives.

But I wonder if their is any scientific truths or hard facts that need to be repeated in our
every day lives. Obviously it isn't necessary to repeat the sky is blue, or the bugatti veyron
is a fast car, because we already know this. How about Darwins Law Of Evolution is a valid
science Newton law of motion is correct.

But God is not Good. Consider Sodom and Gomorrah for example. And the FLood? But worst of all God f**king with Abraham concerning the treatment of Abraham's son Isaac.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 8:05 am

ruveyn wrote:
But God is not Good. Consider Sodom and Gomorrah for example. And the FLood?

Endings of evil is a good thing.

ruveyn wrote:
But worst of all God f**king with Abraham concerning the treatment of Abraham's son Isaac.

I suspect Abraham was actually up to some other-god no good there and "God" simply stopped him and provided a ram or whatever in place of Isaac.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:33 am

LKL wrote:
Science shouldn't ever be something that is repeated like a mantra or memorized like a catechism. For the laws of motion, it would be better to watch birds as they fly and think, 'there are laws that govern that.' For evolution, it would be better to play with an evolutionary algorithm like this one every once in a while:
http://boxcar2d.com/
or, even better, understand the underlying rules well enough that you can create your own algorithm.

Preach it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:26 am

basically LKL is right, but some laws of physics are oddly analogous to the world of human conduct.

For example " for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", and "an object in motion remains in motion at the same direction and speed unless acted upon by another force" are just true of human behavior as they are of the behavior of inanimate objects.

You can probably think of other examples.

Laws of physics that double as laws of psychology do bare repeating.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:51 pm

leejosepho wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
But God is not Good. Consider Sodom and Gomorrah for example. And the FLood?

Innocent children were killed. Yahweh is not a warm cuddly deity.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Innocent children were killed.

That does not make the endings of evil bad.

ruveyn wrote:
Yahweh is not a warm cuddly deity.

Agreed, and yet that does not make Him bad.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:57 pm

"JK Rowling is a great author" would be a good mantra, whether you believe it or not."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jan 2011, 1:33 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
is a fast car, because we already know this.
I wouldnt think so. the truth doesnt need any explanation, because it doesnt lie

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:16 pm

Oren wrote:
"JK Rowling is a great author" would be a good mantra, whether you believe it or not."

The fact that JK Rowling is a great author isn't something people repeat even if talking about authors in general.
I need a saying that is logically true that is equivalent to the "Just be yourself" that is associated with dating and
relationships.

It has to be something we already hear often but get repeated to us. I have a feeling maybe something safety related.