What is your social life in High school like?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2011, 8:19 pm

I am 17 male and junior and I would like to know how is your social life in high school like? I am finding it very lonely and depressing while I get jelous of other poeople haveing friends and stuff. I never get invited anywhere and I am stuck doing the same thing over and over on the weekends. I get extremely bored and it feels repeditive. I also have ASD or aspurgers but I am not so sure. What is high school life like for you? Or how has it been for you?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 9:54 pm

I felt the exact same way in high school.

When I was in high school (I graduated last year), I had more acquaintances than friends. I hardly ever went out to do anything with my classmates in high school. The only time I did spend time with other classmates outside of school was for field trips from various clubs I was a member of.

Which brings me to my next point. Are you a member of any club at your school? Being a member of different clubs helped my social life a little, and we went on lots of fun field trips.

Now that I'm in college, my social life has improved immensely.

kprox1994
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2011, 10:02 pm

I'm the same way. I have alot of acquaintances and i'll talk to people (I'm a theatre kid) and I do various things with that, but I will rarely ever actually make plans with someone, I'm too afraid of the word no. These snow days are getting boring and lonely hence why I joined this site. I want school to be open again so we can start working on our next show.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 10:05 pm

Nonexistent. But I'm happier to be alone than to have friends. :P

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:53 am

My social life was pretty much nonexistant until my senior year when I had a few friends and got occationally invited to things. Even yet it was kinda dead. Before senior year, I was mute and had no friends pretty much. Once I came to college, my social life got drastically better. People actually gave me a chance here, the dynamic was so different. Tho my freshman year, I messed things up and wasnt very respondant to people due to poor social skills. It was really weird at first, that people that didnt really know me would say Hi if they recognized me, I seriously didnt know people did that cause they rarely did in HS. Yeah Id say in general college can be better socially for many aspies, but it still has its share of struggles. People are more openminded and more willing to give you a chance.

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2011, 8:17 pm

Descartes wrote:
I felt the exact same way in high school.
Which brings me to my next point. Are you a member of any club at your school? Being a member of different clubs helped my social life a little, and we went on lots of fun field trips.

There are clubs but I don't have time for them and they are not that many and that interesting that I think of. I only know of one and that is the the G.S.A but that is about it. Nothing special. I also don't know where they are and I am not motivated to find out where they are at.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

Social life, says you?

10th grade - three people I occasionally talked to and once tried to hang out with.

11th grade - one fellow student I slightly hung out with and to teachers I could talk to.

12th grade - I got absorbed first day into a group of maybe a dozen nonconformist weirdoes who gave me five years of someone to associate with.

That is three schools in three diffderent cities.

It goes on pretty much like that till I meta couple good friends and my first Like person.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 9:35 pm

My high school social life was virtually non-existent. For the most part I didn't have any friends. The friends I did have weren't close, and they mostly just spent time with me because they felt sorry for me. In the second half of my senior year (post-diagnosis) I did make a couple friends and got invited to some things, which was great. College is better than high school socially. I have a few friends here.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 4:37 pm

My social life is a bit better but not much. I have a few relatively close friends (that is, I'm not nervous when talking to them, I spend most of my time in school with them, and they actually seem to like me). However, I rarely get together with them outside of school--maybe twice a year. I try to but things never work out because we're all really busy. Also, most of them are girls, so when they get together it's for some sort of "girl time" (I guess). But I never go to parties and on most weekends I stay at home with the family.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

I have one or two frinds who are actually students. I'm more friends with the teachers. People my age are too much drama.

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2011, 9:48 am

I'm a senior in HS and my social life is pretty much non-exisant.
Thank God I only have to be here till May and I'm gone from my school.

E-Wreck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2011, 5:31 pm

I'm a Senior in High School and I'd say I have an alright social life. I have a good amount of friends that I hang out with and go out to eat with. I also have several acquaintances. I wouldn't say I'm popular, that's for sure. But, I'm not a loner.

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2011, 8:14 pm

Just to ask but. Did you ever get picked on and people started to pity you and they feelt sorry for you so they hung out with you and treated you like a little kid? I would like to know because I was like that when I am in school. I would get bullied and people would think that I need other people to protect me and I feel hummiliated. Had anyone felt like this.

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2011, 4:20 am

Year 9: Hung out with 3 friends enjoyably, never hang around after school (I live much further away from school than them)
Year 10: Hung out with 5 friends enjoyably, never hang around after school.
Year 11: Hung out with 11 friends, no one talks to me, never hang around after school. I frequently wander around school with nothing to do at break times.

I am a student librarian which breaks the monotony, occasionally there are lunches with the other librarians who I know slightly. I also know a lot of other people slightly....

I seem to be doing well for an aspie, except when it comes to my crush...

Holland1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2011, 2:03 pm

I'm trying to be happy for what I have, and if compare it to what I read in the topic, it seems I don't have any reasons to complain. I can get along with quite a few people and have a few good friends, but I don't got invited so much to party's for example. (it's really frustrating for me)
But trying to spend more time with those persons you can get along quite well, can pay off I think. (maybe if they are having a party trying to ask vague about it or...????)

In my first year I did not felt at ease, that was really a horrible time for me second was worse too.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 5:03 pm

I had a surface social life. Like, could talk to people at school but it didn't go any deeper than that.