Which do you prefer Fantasy or Science Fiction universe?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:31 pm

Sam2001 wrote:
I would have to go for Science fiction. I like the futuristic cities. Look at the film Metropolis it was set in a future but the people were driving cars and wearing clothes from the 1920's. Though I enjoyed Harry Potter I always find that when I watch fantasy it seems to be set in place with no technology like the middle ages.

i defiantly would not wont to live in Metropolis...

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:33 pm

I'm a man of science myself

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:37 pm

I prefer sci fi

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:08 pm

Sci-fi is a subset of fantasy. Science fiction is not.

My preference is for reasonably hard space opera, weird fiction, and mythological fantasy.

The year is still young.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 4:42 pm

I got to go with fantasy. I like science fiction in principle, but I find it gets dry and boring more times than not. Fantasy is only limited by the imagination.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Feb 2011, 5:22 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
On a side note, I'd say Star Wars is a good example of a Fantasy World with science fiction elements rather than pure sci-fi.

I always thought of Star Wars at science fiction. When I think of fantasy I think of things like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia ect

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 5:26 pm

sluice wrote:
I got to go with fantasy. I like science fiction in principle, but I find it gets dry and boring more times than not. Fantasy is only limited by the imagination.

You might like The Saga Of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson, it is a space opera, but it is very similar to fantasy (one of the major parts of the story is a battle between elements)

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
On a side note, I'd say Star Wars is a good example of a Fantasy World with science fiction elements rather than pure sci-fi.

I always thought of Star Wars at science fiction. When I think of fantasy I think of things like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia ect
The force is magic, the aliens are simply creatures and people, the light sabers are swords, the speeders are horses, and the blasters are bows... there you go, a sci-fi fantasy :D. Of course the technology to be science fiction is there, but Star Wars is very much a fantasy.