Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:00 pm

Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2: You try to act normal, but you can't help acting a little different.
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, but once in a while you act different.
Stage 4: You've grown out of AS.

I just came out of Stage 1. I'm in Stage 2 now. Most Aspies don't reach Stage 4.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:23 pm

What is there to grow out of?? This is a permanent way of life.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:51 pm

Stage 1-2.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 7:53 pm

Simonono wrote:
What is there to grow out of?? This is a permanent way of life.

I have to agree. So based on this chart I believe its impossible to go beyond stage 3. I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 10:51 pm

IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

at least, these are the stages of becoming aware of having AS as an adult, as i see it.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm

Sweet i'm in all of the first 3 stages and the ones katzefrau mentioned at once! Wait, that's probably a bad thing...

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 11:31 pm

I mostly keep to myself in public, although I usually can't help but stim or giggle during inappropriate times. :roll:

On occasion, I'm a little more outgoing and, dare I say it, bordering on NT. That depends on the environment I'm in and my mood at the moment, though.

Vannah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2011, 7:04 am

katzefrau wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

I'd have to agree with these really, though rather than going through one by one and reaching the end goal I cycle through them. Maybe one day I'll settle on stage 5! Or burn out on stage 3!! :S

I don't think it's possible to grow out of. Even if learned behaviors help you to live a "normal" life, AS is a neurological thing, and with you for life. I do think it's possible to have AS not IMPAIR you anymore, certainly, which is lovely and is the ideal outcome of katzefrau's 5 stages I believe.

Aspie Quiz; Your Aspie score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 61 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

iHateCamera
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2011, 9:06 am

Trying to be Stage 2. I'm not sure how good I am at acting normal, but I'm not totally in my own world either.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

STAGE 1: Under 8 years old

STAGE 2: 9-13

STAGE 3: 14+

I'm in stage 3 right now. The only way that I sometimes don't act normal is "public meltdowns". That doesn't happen all that often.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

STAGE 1: Under 8 years old

STAGE 2: 9-13

STAGE 3: 14+

I'm in stage 3 right now. The only way that I sometimes don't act normal is "public meltdowns". That doesn't happen all that often.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, but once in a while you act different.

I just came out of Stage 1. I'm in Stage 2 now. Most Aspies don't reach Stage 4.

BS.

Stage 1: You have Asperger's
Stage 2: Repeat stage 1

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:04 pm

[Post Deleted]

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 05 Feb 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:08 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:

BS.

What bothers you so much about people that think AS is a bad thing?

I respect that you see AS as a good thing, Asp-Z, I don't understand why people think it's a good thing, but I respect it. I just want to know why it bothers you that some people think that's a bad thing.

How is this related to whether or not AS is a good thing? Fact is you simply do not grow out of it. Ever. No matter what your opinion on it is.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 5:17 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:

BS.

What bothers you so much about people that think AS is a bad thing?

I respect that you see AS as a good thing, Asp-Z, I don't understand why people think it's a good thing, but I respect it. I just want to know why it bothers you that some people think that's a bad thing.

How is this related to whether or not AS is a good thing? Fact is you simply do not grow out of it. Ever. No matter what your opinion on it is.

Exactly.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

Stage 5: You realize you haven't really grown out of AS due to making such a stupid assumption and also realize that it is a part of you. At this point depression is common because you think it holds you back.

Stage 6: You either decide to love it or hate it depending on your previous experiences with AS. You start semi-accepting it as a gift/curse.

Stage 7: Full acceptence. Often doesn't happen.

Just what I think.