Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 2:56 am

I know you people in the Northern Hemisphere are up to your ears in snow and ice but it is supposed to be summer in Australia.

Well we had GIGANTIC floods in the northern half of Australia.

But wait! Then a force 5 cyclone slammed into Queensland with 280 kph winds.

But that's ok. I live in Melbourne, right down the bottom of the country.

But last night the skies opened. My street is a river and I can't get out because there is a raging torrent at the bottom of the street that would sweep a car away. Many streets in Melbourne are underwater.

Don't ya just love climate change. :D

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:08 am

Wombat wrote:
I know you people in the Northern Hemisphere are up to your ears in snow and ice but it is supposed to be summer in Australia.

Yeah, everywhere but my state. :evil: :wall: I love snow but, we never get it here in Washington, not even while the rest of the country is covered in snow. :cry:

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 5:07 am

In sunny Sydney the temperatures have been above 30°Celsius (that's about 86° Fahrenheit) every day this week.

Today they were at least 41°C (about 105° Fahrenheit). At 9 PM they were back down to 31°C. And now they are back up 35°C at 12:30 AM!

Yikes. Cool change please! Ice cubes anybody?

Last edited by one-A-N on 05 Feb 2011, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 5:33 am

one-A-N wrote:
In sunny Sydney the temperatures have been above 30 degrees (Celsius - that's about 86 degrees Fahrenheit) every day this week.

Today they were at least 41 degrees (about 105 degrees Fahrenheit). At 9 PM they are back down to 31 degrees.

Yikes. Cool change please!

I also live in Sydney, couldn't agree more!

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 7:37 am

No snow here, just good old rain! I really want some more snow though. It was just magical at Christmas when we had the first big snowfall for many, many years.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 7:46 am

Grey. Cold. Wet.

Any more questions? ;)

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:27 am

Tequila wrote:
Grey. Cold. Wet.

Any more questions? ;)

Can we have some please?

Volkmire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2011, 10:27 am

Temperatures are relatively average here in Pittsburgh for the time being. It is always dreary here. The crazy part is this however. We are warmer than Dallas, Texas.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 11:10 am

Grey, cold and wet also.....

I feel drained or energy all the time. I wish it was warmer all year round so that I can go for big big walks or jogs.

Even just sitting outside makes a difference.

Remember your vitamin D people. ;)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 11:47 am

Wombat wrote:

Well we had GIGANTIC floods in the northern half of Australia.

But wait! Then a force 5 cyclone slammed into Queensland with 280 kph winds.

But that's ok. I live in Melbourne, right down the bottom of the country.

But last night the skies opened. My street is a river and I can't get out because there is a raging torrent at the bottom of the street that would sweep a car away. Many streets in Melbourne are underwater.

Don't ya just love climate change. :D

Hey! I thought you were pro climate change????
If the possibility of these types of event being annual things and progressing in the future existed, would you still feel the same about climate change, insisting it would be great for the southern hemisphere, lousy for the northern, as if we are in some grand competition with each other (a false dichotomy if there ever was.)
No one knows if this is just a hundred or thousand year cycle or whatever, but if it continues for many years and gets worse, it could be due to greenhouse gases.
Still, we have to keep universe-time in mind. Universe does everything very verrrrrry slowly and we still might not be grasping the entire picture if it will take thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of years to put together. We earthlings aren't exactly adapted to such behemoth segments of time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 2:09 pm

The State of New Jersey turned out to be more like the State of Maine.

This is the second honest to God winter we have had, two years in a row.

ruveyn

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2011, 4:27 pm

I'm in the Dallas, Texas area. This week we had 5 days of mixed sleet, ice and snow. Tuesday-Friday was below freezing weather. The schools have been closed since Tuesday. Today is above freezing and around 40. A lot of Businesses that had Super Bowl related events have lost money thanks to the weather. DFW airport and Love Field airports have for fights coming in and out now that the weather is a tad better. It might even snow again tomorrow and next week.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 4:43 pm

The temperature is hovering around the 60's (F) right now, and the last few days have been overcast with a few thunderstorms and rain. We have had a few warmer days recently worthy of t-shirt and shorts.

In a few weeks it will be time to turn the A/C back on and start going down to the pool. As for snow, what's that?

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 6:16 pm

WillMcC wrote:
The temperature is hovering around the 60's (F) right now, and the last few days have been overcast with a few thunderstorms and rain. We have had a few warmer days recently worthy of t-shirt and shorts.

In a few weeks it will be time to turn the A/C back on and start going down to the pool. As for snow, what's that?

I was about to ask where in the hell you were living to have completely missed the Snowpocalypse, but then I saw your location underneath your name and that answered my question.

When I first moved to Laramie, I was excited at the prospect of constant snow. Yeah... didn't take me too long to change my mind on that.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 7:46 pm

Who would like to accompany me to somewhere a lot more tropical, so that we can set up our own wee village somewhere?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:05 pm

Meh, I haven't really noticed that much of a change in weather patterns, Indiana is known for wacky weather.