Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Are you Hell-Bound?
Yes, I am either a different religion or an atheist 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
No, I am a follower of one of the Judeo-Christian sects and have earned a place in Heaven for my unwavering devotion 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 5:34 pm

JNathanK wrote:
The poll really doesn't relate well with the question.

does it have to? i just put the poll there because it seemed like a good idea at the time(hint hint i was bored) the poll just seemed like a fun little thing to have included with a serious question as the topic lol

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 5:37 pm

alice333 wrote:
I was brought up to be a Catholic (it didn't work) and I know that if hell existed, which of course it doesn't, then a lot of Christians would clearly be bound for it.

me too i was born into catholicism almost made it to confirmation then i looked at it and realized how much BS it really is and looked at history and started hating religion as a whole

note: i dont necessarily not believe in God i just dont believe in the God of Man's religion i cannot say that God itself doesnt exist unless i die but i know man's God doesnt exist the fact that there are sooooo many is proof of it

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 10:00 am

TheKing wrote:
i know man's God doesnt exist the fact that there are sooooo many is proof of it

Why need it be? Man does the best he can with the knowledge he has, to express in human terms those bits of the supernatural that he catches at. What in that is proof against a theoretical god telling man about himself and giving him/us further knowledge, thus a truer religion?

Whenever the day is done."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 12:36 pm

You know, most of these discussions would be much better if everybody first read Guareschi's Don Camillo books. Not only less ignorance but a highr level of maturity and even some understanding. It was a favorite in my atheist days and just as useful for world-lore now.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm

Philologos wrote:
You know, most of these discussions would be much better if everybody first read Guareschi's Don Camillo books. Not only less ignorance but a highr level of maturity and even some understanding. It was a favorite in my atheist days and just as useful for world-lore now.

Hah! So much for no religious violence lately ;) The books are great fun. And educational as to place/time/politics of post-WWII, teetering-communist Italy.

(edit: And of Russia/Poland, to a lesser extent. The story involving the Katyn massacre, for instance - which gives the background to Baltimore's oddest memorial.)

Whenever the day is done."

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 2:07 am

the problem is that the moment we cant understand something we immediately say that God did it and we refuse to listen to any other possibilities even when scientists, after studying and researching the unknown in particular, gives other more logical possibilities

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

Natty_Boh wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Hah! So much for no religious violence lately ;) The books are great fun. And educational as to place/time/politics of post-WWII, teetering-communist Italy.

(edit: And of Russia/Poland, to a lesser extent. The story involving the Katyn massacre, for instance - which gives the background to Baltimore's oddest memorial.)

I got into Guareschi when my mother brough him home. Read him over annually. Don't have the Italian but I found a German translation of what in English was the first two books. A lot was edited out of the Anglic - several stories with what the editors though might be excessive religious comment were omitted.