Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Are you Hell-Bound?
Yes, I am either a different religion or an atheist 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
No, I am a follower of one of the Judeo-Christian sects and have earned a place in Heaven for my unwavering devotion 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:00 am

Why Was I Created? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpose -

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:36 am

Kingaroo:

"i just want to get an answer from te christians as to why their god created me knowing im supposedly going to hell as nearly every christian(i swear i think they can sense my atheism) in my town is quick to point out "

You have had my answer. You must have a rather kinky town - not like any I have lived in. And you know, even if atheism condemned you to hell [which atheism per se using the normal meaning certainly would not], it is not the ONLY thing people might use to decide you are hellbound. There are actual behaviors.

So what - strangers come up on the street and say - You are going to hell?

Or is it more like what I get - you are explaining something simple to someone who does not get it and is not interested and [like Sand] he says "Go to hell?

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 1:23 pm

TheKing -

It may be a matter of expression and body language. NTs picking up on vibes you aren't aware of. I say this because if it is a recurring pattern, you are the constant in it and not "them"; and it's not your atheism that they're reading, it's your general mindset. Of course, I don't really know you and I'm not speaking definitively. "Just sayin'." (Speaking for myself, I went through a fairly "dark" period where a complete stranger basically gave me that sort of warning point-blank - and yeah, I was offended at the time. He did mean it out of concern, not as an insult; but it was years before I was able to hear it.)

Whenever the day is done."

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:06 am

pgd wrote:

according to wikipedia then my purpose in life would be to promote advancement of human progress

something ive known for over a year(im a transhumanist)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:10 am

ruveyn wrote:
TheKing wrote:

im an atheistic antitheist dont you think i know that

Mind reading is not on my resume. And there is no answer to your question.

ruveyn

You may not be a psychic, but you should realize by our posts who are the atheists and who are the Christians and so on.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 4:08 am

Why were we created? I don't know.

The Christians say that we have one chance of getting it right, then we will go to heaven or hell forever.

So if you were born smart and good looking from smart, rich, Christian parents you have a head start.

But if you were born HIV positive to a crack whore in the slums of Africa then your future doesn't look so bright.

Or you are born crippled or ret*d?

Does a ret*d person have to meet the same standards to get into heaven?

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 5:11 am

TheKing wrote:
pgd wrote:

according to wikipedia then my purpose in life would be to promote advancement of human progress

The only purpose or meaning in life is that which you create, for yourself. See for yourself; go out some night, lie on the ground, and shout "Who am I? Why am I here?" to the heavens. They will hold their silence.

I'm not exactly mad about the existentialist movement, simply because they abhor writing in comprehensible English, but they definite do have some points worth considering.

As for the transhumanism thing, it's a nice idea but it seems like there is some inherent flaw in letting an ape with a small prefrontal cortex decide what direction to propel humanity towards. It's akin to a child building a skyscraper. There's also the fact that we will inevitable bugger something up, and produce unexpected side effects written into the Human Genome for the rest of eternity.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Feb 2011, 8:52 am

Well because silly you have free will. dont you know god cant make you choose a comfortable place to go after you die?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 9:02 am

ryan93 wrote:
TheKing wrote:
pgd wrote:

The only purpose or meaning in life is that which you create, for yourself. See for yourself; go out some night, lie on the ground, and shout "Who am I? Why am I here?" to the heavens. They will hold their silence.

i am an Existential Nihilist the overall grand scheme of the universe our existence is meaningless we have no grand/greater purpose in life as far as the universe is concerned but what we do on earth, even though it may not matter to the universe as a whole, our meaning is our legacy or what we do with our lives and leave behind its individual to everyone in my pseudoprofessional opinion

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 9:46 am

Quote:
i am an Existential Nihilist the overall grand scheme of the universe our existence is meaningless we have no grand/greater purpose in life as far as the universe is concerned but what we do on earth, even though it may not matter to the universe as a whole, our meaning is our legacy or what we do with our lives and leave behind its individual to everyone in my pseudoprofessional opinion

The problem of meaning through immortality is that everything dies. There will come a point where the last copy of Beethoven's 5th will be reduced to ash, where every person who is alive forgets the existence of me and you today. On my deathbed, I expect to think "that was so short a time. Everything prior to now seemed like a dream, a remnant of something that never really existed. The present is all that matters". The timespan doesn't matter; our impact might last a hundred years, maybe ten thousand years. But when the day comes that the last trace of us in existence is destroyed, it might as well have been thirty seconds.

Many of the coldest facts in life are mathematical, and here is one of the equations that I wish didn't exist:

Or, given an infinite amount of time the chances of something with any probability not happening goes to zero. Basically, it ensures that everything breaks (because things are much more likely to break than spontaneously reassemble), given time.

It is possible to live a meaningful life, even through the pursuit of immortality you will never have, although the quote in my signature shows what I think about that way of living meaningfully :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:10 am

MCalavera wrote:

You may not be a psychic, but you should realize by our posts who are the atheists and who are the Christians and so on.

Please be aware that this is a forum for Aspies and Auties. Like most Aspies I assume very little and I know only what I have seen, read or heard. I do not assume intentions or positions in others that are not clearly stated.

I am also literal minded. It's me nature!

ruveyn

stgiordanobruno
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2011, 4:12 am

I believe we exist because subjective existence is ontologically inevitable. I believe existence of the self emerged necessarily before the essence of the self. I also believe there is no rhyme nor reason for existing, we just simply exist.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 5:09 am

The poll really doesn't relate well with the question.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 5:13 am

stgiordanobruno wrote:
I believe we exist because subjective existence is ontologically inevitable. I believe existence of the self emerged necessarily before the essence of the self. I also believe there is no rhyme nor reason for existing, we just simply exist.
Yah, its like awareness is just its own dimmension of reality. You can't really explain why space, time, or consciousness exist. They just do. I actually thinks pace and time wouldn't exist without consciousness being a factor and that they're directly related, but the whole order is kind of inexplicable. We can model it, but it doesn't mean we know why any of it does what it does. I think the whole driving force of evolution, cosmic and biological, is to experience reality in greater levels of novelty and complexity though.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 7:07 am

JNathanK wrote:
stgiordanobruno wrote:
Yah, its like awareness is just its own dimmension of reality. You can't really explain why space, time, or consciousness exist. They just do. I actually thinks pace and time wouldn't exist without consciousness being a factor and that they're directly related, but the whole order is kind of inexplicable. We can model it, but it doesn't mean we know why any of it does what it does. I think the whole driving force of evolution, cosmic and biological, is to experience reality in greater levels of novelty and complexity though.

It is all done with atoms and energy.

ruveyn

alice333
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Feb 2011, 1:29 pm

I was brought up to be a Catholic (it didn't work) and I know that if hell existed, which of course it doesn't, then a lot of Christians would clearly be bound for it.