Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AbstractJon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2011, 2:31 pm

I've been called ret*d for all the wrong reasons. I have a vocal tic, and people call me a ret*d for that reason. However, I have a very formal way of speaking, and I'm really smart (at least, compared to a lot of the people in my classes) and I'm also very quiet (with the exception of my vocal tics). People call me 'mute' more that ret*d.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2011, 1:53 am

Just once that I can remember when I was 12, I turned around and kicked the guy in the face(rather talented at doing that :P). The teacher that saw me do it had a 20 minute conversation with me about how I was 'self destructive' and then they all forgot about it. Schools are so disorganised :P

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2019, 7:46 pm

Yes. I've been called a ret*d lots of times. During elementary school, lots of kids would either call me ret*d or ret*d because they thought I was weird and annoying to them. They would also tell me that nobody likes me and laugh at every little thing that I did or said. This happened to me from 3rd grade to 6th grade. I didn't like it at all. Being called a ret*d made me feel stupid and worthless compared to other people which became social anxiety in my teens. Even my own younger sister called me a ret*d and would make fun of me a lot. It hurts my feelings a lot.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:06 pm

...Yes :( .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

lemonlolly
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2019, 9:16 pm

Allllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Super common for me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 8:15 pm

"stupid" yes. "ret*d", not that I know of.

"ret*d" used to be medical terminology.

Now it is just an insult

Retardation is not a choice or crime

You do not control your intelligence

Precious lil "people" are just using freedom of speech

Please don't take it personally

Actually I find it insulting when anyone remarks on my IQ, positive or negative

There's an implication, that the speaker expects me to just believe whatever the f**k Jamie Adair b***h had the nerve to tell me

Intelligence is a bell curve

By definition, not everyone is "smart".

Seriously though please ignore them

RavenclawWhovian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2019, 6:09 pm

I am an incredibly extroverted person (though I only have two or three friends) and often cannot resist raising my hand to answer a question. As a result, I am regarded as a total nerd. I did help a popular kid who was struggling with the finer points of mitosis and meiosis. She was grateful, and as payment she told everyone to leave me alone.

To answer the original question, I have never been called a ret*d at school. I have been called a ret*d once or twice by people who didn't know me at a camp or whatever, and always after I failed to pick up on a cue or whatever discreet form of communication someone used.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

I remember two boys sitting in front of me in maths class when I was fifteen and discussing types of retardation - social and intellectual. Upon mentioning social retardation, the guy subtly gestured his head back towards me. I took it as a compliment and still do :lol:

I might add that we were all far from being intellectually "ret*d" in that class - it was the top set, and I was the best student, being two years ahead of everyone else. We did have our fair share of oddballs though, of which group I was also the prime representative :lol:

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 6:41 pm

It's not the sort of thing I would like to keep track of the number of instances in memory in which that occurs but yes with an instant in which I was 'corrected' by a girl about the number of volunteer hours I had..someone who I felt like I likely had to 'get along with'/'befriend' to be part of a team...>:I when it's used by a store manager in likely his 40's to describe other workers, I think to myself how kyriarchy's apathy needs to be resisted.

'_' I'm more surprised by how no one has seemed to mentioned how (not the least b/c of it's historical basis) the nature of the insult seems to be (in my mind) 'resembling someone with Down syndrome' specifically. The word is no exception in the list of ableist phrases I detest even using (again b/c of it's historical basis in medical terminology) the word 'idiot'.

When it comes to 'finding swear words appealing' what bewilders me is the utter unawareness of how you guys aren't really aware of how the way you might use swear words can't even really be articulated in other languages not the least b/c of the cadence in the tone of those who are not in a privileged demographic not the least b/c of very real less than ambiguous resentments --I feel more veering to being adversarial when using the word 'fool' in Spanish than when I hear someone saying 'idiot' in English and would speculate that it's used fairly often without much concern by the person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESU5ONMMxs

I mean really are learning another language would you want or expect to be consistently upset enough to be swearing or do you decide to pick up on other swears for some 'in group' joke to be made more feasible?.

___

Simonono wrote:
loftyD wrote:
a bus driver called me a ret*d when I was 14. I told him to f**k himself and he got sacked.

That's funny, one of my teachers at school used the word 'ret*d' in a sentence while talking to me, not directly at me though, but in an offensive way, and he got sacked :lol:. Good riddance to that evil b******!

:| Neat avatar if I might say Simonono.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 8:34 pm

Don't remember any times.

But maybe forgot or did not pay attention

Plenty of lil dipshits :roll: treat :cry: me like I am :mrgreen: intellectually challenged :oops: . (Current euphemism).

Aikido instructor Rolando showered me with praise when I told him when daylight savings time was. :roll: it's just an internet search. Not rocket science.

The reason why I told the lil penis that, was because I did not want him to be late to class

:roll:

But sometimes it is involuntary, subconscious, or natural to guess someones IQ and you either guess too high, the same or too low.

Anyways I seriously doubt Rolando has a higher IQ score than me

.momo.
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2019, 11:55 am

yes, plenty of times. by friends, family, and even strangers when i'm out with my mom. im pretty smart, but not in the ways that seem to matter to most (for instance, i lack common sense in most situations and my social deficits make others question my intelligence)

but the funny thing is, about half of the other people ive met on the spectrum use the word as well in a joking manner. i even find myself doing it sometimes (and i regret doing so) when im experiencing uncontrollable frustration with someone else's stupidity

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 11:57 am

I ask this seriously, has anyone NOT been called a ret*d at some point in their life? I'm willing to bet they're a much smaller group within the general population than those of us who have been.

Yes, I've been called a ret*d, but not within the past 24 hours.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
Have You Ever Been Called A ret*d?
Yes.

Paradoxically, the people who call me this are usually the ones whose false beliefs I've corrected.

Typical 3rd-grade example...

HE: "If I stab you with this pencil, you'll get lead poisoning and die!"
ME: "No, I'd bleed a lot, and maybe die, but not from 'lead poisoning'."
HE: "You ret*d! Why do you think they call it 'pencil lead'?"
ME: "Because graphite was mistaken for lead ore before the advent of modern chemistry."
HE: "You ret*d. You're making that up!"
ME: "No, I'm not. Graphite is used in pencils, not lead. Look it up."
HE: "Look up the word 'fist', ret*d, after I get done pounding you with it!"

<a physical beating ensues>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
GammaGeek wrote:
Yes.

Paradoxically, the people who call me this are usually the ones whose false beliefs I've corrected.

ME: "Because graphite was mistaken for lead ore before the advent of modern chemistry."

It better have involved you hitting him with a chair until he stopped twitching. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
GammaGeek wrote:
Yes.

It better have involved you hitting him with a chair until he stopped twitching.
No, it didn't.

It did involve me getting in trouble for starting the fight ( :scratch: ), and being grounded during the week that his dad's garage caught fire ( :twisted: ).

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 3:05 pm

When working a shift on the register last week, I had a rocky encounter with these two hot headed sisters, where I was confused with some things. After I was done with them one of them told me "you need to go home", and as they were headed to the door, I think I overheard one of them say the r word.