Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DaisyBlue
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2011, 10:01 am

AS female, UK based, new on this site and wondering if anyone has any advice on the following:

-Is there any way of keeping the diagnosis confidential and not have it imprinted on my NHS medical record?
(I am not looking to receive benefits or any other financial gain, I would just like a report for myself)

-Will a diagnosis affect my career prospects? (or create any other issues?)

-Also, is it possible to have your UK health insurance to cover the diagnosis? (if you are covered for psychiatric out-patient procedures) and if so, is it a straightforward "I would like to be diagnosed for AS?" or does it need to be "camouflaged" in any way to make sure that the claim is covered by the insurance company?

(I have already contacted National Autistic Society but they were unable to give me any advice about insurance)

Any information would be appreciated from those in the UK who have been in a similar situation...

Thanks

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2011, 11:02 am

I'm in the UK, undiagnosed autistic and staying that way. I'm also suspicious of the health care industry in general and mental health services especially.

There's not a lot of respect for privacy of medical information in the UK. If the NHS is involved in your diagnosis it will be written in your NHS records. Who gets to see that in future is unknown - there are systems with 'sealed envelopes' for matters which are only to be disclosed to certain services, but that which is sealed can easily be unsealed. And once it's in your records it could affect you in ways you didn't envisage in the future. I'd rather not have autism come up if I was applying for an HGV driver's or air pilots medical for example.

However the NHS isn't keen on diagnosing autism in adults, and probably will be reluctant to refer you for diagnosis unless you are already involved with mental health services.

If you are going to consult a private psychiatrist, you'd have to ask them about their privacy policies, but be aware that they will want to inform your NHS GP, and may break confidentiality if they think it's in your best interests. And their idea of your best interests may differ from yours.

As for health insurance, you'd need to read the small print and maybe ask the insurer what's covered.

If you are not looking for disability benefits (and they are getting harder and harder to get), services or DDA adaptations, there may be little benefit in obtaining a diagnosis.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

There is no legal reason for you to tell an employer that you have a disability, but if at a later date you have to disclose that you have AS, then you could leave yourself open to being fired, for failing to disclose a health issue. A diagnoses can help find you a career, because extra help is available through the jobcenter disability advisers.
Regarding insurance it is always wise to get a friend or relative to phone your insurance company to ask for information on their policy regarding AS, but not on your phone. Thus avoiding difficult questions about your current insurance. I hope this is a help. :D