Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sari
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2011, 3:15 pm

In my daily life, I feel so frustrated when I can't express myself to people, I find it so hard to put into words what I want to say to someone when I am speaking them face to face and on the phone. This is the reason why it has always been hard for me to make friends ( I am starting to make new friends through church activities, thankfully they are pretty accepting of who I am as a person) The person I am talking to (regardless if they know I have Asperger's or not) usually ends up getting inpatient with me because I just get stuck on something I cannot express into words. I wish my brain would work to where I could put into words of what I want to say to someone. Anyone else feel frustrated when this happens to you?

Blog: http://www.inthishecticlife.com

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:00 pm

I usually try to keep saying the same thing using different words followed by the question:
Does that make any sense?
This gives them the opportunity to jump in and say
"no, I don't know what you mean when you said ..."
or "yes, that makes sense"
this usually keeps the frustration level down and the conversation going.

If you truly can't explain what you are saying it might be best to change topics.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:04 pm

I get frustrated when people don't understand me.

I've yet to figure out if it's all down to me not being able to explain/express myself, or whether it's down to people just not understanding...people, both NT's and ASD's, all seem ignorant and to like to talk without actually addressing whatever it is you've brought up in any real detail. I find time and time again when I ask questions no one actually gives me the correct answer, a specific answer.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:20 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I get frustrated when people don't understand me.

I've yet to figure out if it's all down to me not being able to explain/express myself, or whether it's down to people just not understanding...people, both NT's and ASD's, all seem ignorant and to like to talk without actually addressing whatever it is you've brought up in any real detail. I find time and time again when I ask questions no one actually gives me the correct answer, a specific answer.

That can really be irritating when people don't talk about things explicitly and in detail, and also the lack of follow-up questions.
Just so I understand you better can you give me examples when you have run across this.

Sari
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2011, 9:35 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
I usually try to keep saying the same thing using different words followed by the question:
Does that make any sense?
This gives them the opportunity to jump in and say
"no, I don't know what you mean when you said ..."
or "yes, that makes sense"
this usually keeps the frustration level down and the conversation going.

If you truly can't explain what you are saying it might be best to change topics.

Yes jackbus01, that does make a lot of sense. I am going have to try that method to see how it works out for me.

Blog: http://www.inthishecticlife.com