Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bismuth-uk88
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2006, 7:36 pm

Let me just say, "Wow!"

I've just started to learn Python and I'm impressed!

I recommend it to experienced scripters who need a versatile and newbies who want to learn to script. The interpreted aspect of the language allows beginners to try code out as they learn it (via a Python shell called IDLE or Linux Konsole - I don't know whether you can do the same in command line prompt in MS) without having to re-compile everytime.

Who else is fond of Python?

Quote:
HEAD KNIGHT OF NI:
Ni!

KNIGHTS OF NI:
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
ARTHUR:
Who are you?
HEAD KNIGHT:
We are the Knights Who Say... 'Ni'!
RANDOM:
Ni!
ARTHUR:
No! Not the Knights Who Say 'Ni'!
HEAD KNIGHT:
The same!
BEDEVERE:
Who are they?
HEAD KNIGHT:
We are the keepers of the sacred words: 'Ni', 'Peng', and 'Neee-wom'!
RANDOM:
Neee-wom!
ARTHUR:
Those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale.
HEAD KNIGHT:
The Knights Who Say 'Ni' demand a sacrifice.

ARTHUR:
Knights of Ni, we are but simple travellers who seek the enchanter who lives beyond these woods.
HEAD KNIGHT:
Ni!
KNIGHTS OF NI:
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!...
ARTHUR:
Ow! Ow! Ow! Agh!
HEAD KNIGHT:
We shall say 'ni' again to you if you do not appease us.
ARTHUR:
Well, what is it you want?
HEAD KNIGHT:
We want... a shrubbery!
[dramatic chord]
ARTHUR:
A what?
KNIGHTS OF NI:
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
ARTHUR and PARTY:
Ow! Oh!
ARTHUR:
Please! Please! No more! We will find you a shrubbery.
HEAD KNIGHT:
You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive.
ARTHUR:
O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery.
HEAD KNIGHT:
One that looks nice.
ARTHUR:
Of course.
HEAD KNIGHT:
And not too expensive.
ARTHUR:
Yes.
HEAD KNIGHT:
Now... go!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 7:44 pm

No, but my grandmother was.

My mother and her sister and six brothers grew up on a rural farm in Clay county West Virginia with no electricity or indoor plumbing. Her father was killed when the tractor rolled over on him. I assume that’s why she only has seven siblings. Her mother was bitten by a rattlesnake and after three days of incredible agony, the snake died. Mom died on Mother’s day in 1993 of advanced diabetes. She was 62. My father is alcoholic, and except for a brief phone conversation when my mother died, I haven’t spoken to him in nearly 20 years.

:jester:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

09 Jul 2006, 8:01 pm

MrMark wrote:
No, but my grandmother was.

My mother and her sister and six brothers grew up on a rural farm in Clay county West Virginia with no electricity or indoor plumbing. Her father was killed when the tractor rolled over on him. I assume that’s why she only has seven siblings. Her mother was bitten by a rattlesnake and after three days of incredible agony, the snake died. Mom died on Mother’s day in 1993 of advanced diabetes. She was 62. My father is alcoholic, and except for a brief phone conversation when my mother died, I haven’t spoken to him in nearly 20 years.

:jester:

He was talking about a computer programming lang. I have it on my computer but
I have not used it. Its supposed to be the ideal first lang. (I'm a novice of basic
,c,c++)
My mothers side of the family was from West Virginia. Irish that moved to Texas
in the 1800's . Maybe we have some common blood MrMark.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 8:06 pm

:wink:

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 9:18 pm

My grandfather was bit by a water moccosin...ok I didn't spell that one right, when he was really young, then when my mom was little, she killed one with a rock and brought it home to show my grandfather......he was not a happy camper to say the least. Hey Mark, they are from Ridgely West Virginia, and my dad is from Tallman's Ville West Virgina. I was never bit by a snake but I have a picture of me holding my nephews phython on my myspace, he thought he would scare me with it, but I just took it and held it for awhile. http://www.myspace.com/63827134

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2006, 9:28 pm

I have a paranoid fear of snakes. I think they're beautiful, at least the constrictors, and I'm respectful but not fearful of wild snakes. I love handling pet snakes because I get that same thrill, that adrenaline rush that is the reason some people love rollercoasters. I just need the owner to be right there to take it off my hands if I freak out. :o

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2006, 12:49 pm

Python seems pretty neat, but what are its practical applications?

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 7:49 am

The mission editor for Freedom Force was scripted in Python, and I think so was it's sequel Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2006, 8:00 pm

I recently decided to learn python too (haven't started yet). It seems great as a first language though I already know the basics of some others. I think it's a good idea to learn some C first to get in the habit of declaring variables. After python I plan to learn PHP, C++ and maybe java.

As for the question of practical applications:
http://www.python.org/about/apps/

Apparently it's a bit slow but it can't be worse than anything programmed in the .NET framework right? Probably not a good comparison. I hear python and others have been ported to .NET now anyway.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2006, 12:12 pm

No, I'm thankful.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2006, 5:51 pm

Python seems kinda like a passing fad to me.

I started using Linux way back in 1996, and Python was around back then. I never saw it being used or discussed aside from some obscure, simple X-Windows applications. Red Hat (and later Fedora) adopted it for some of their install/admin scripts, but otherwise it was still pretty obscure.

Then, Google came out with their search API and some other things, which included Python scripts as examples. And they mentioned using Python scripts for internal system administration. And almost immediately afterwards, suddenly everybody started talking about how Python is the Next Big Thing.

I am, admittedly, not too familiar with Python. But considering it's been commonly distributed for over 10 years, I think that it if it really did live up to the hype, it would have been "discovered" a long time ago.

As it stands, it just appears to be an extension of the Google fanboy/cult thing that's so popular these days. Which, to me, just reduces Python's credibility. Other examples of Google fanaticism:

Google Spreadsheets: I saw so many idiots acting like this was the best thing ever. It evidently doesn't matter that spreadsheet applications have been around since before most of them were born. Or that they probably never used a spreadsheet outside of an "Intro to Computer Science" class, or had any interest in doing so. Or that it's inferior to any other spreadsheet app in existence. It's the coolest thing ever because it's rigged into a webpage and has the "Google" logo.

Google Talk: I used to think ICQ was the worst IM client possible. It's very bloated, the default sounds could not possibly be more annoying, and usernames are just hugeass random strings of numbers. But at least it works. You can send/receive files. It handles offline messages. It accurately displays whether users are online/idle or not. When you set it to play an alert sound when someone sends you a message, it does. And the UI, while not being the greatest, doesn't look like an 8-year-old spent 15 minutes designing it with MS Paint and Visual Basic 6.0. You can't say the same for GTalk, which means it is miraculously even WORSE! But because Google made it, most of its users talk as if it's God's gift to instant messaging.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.. I'd recommend starting with C++ or Java, because their more strict/complex nature forces you to learn good concepts of programming & coding. Then you can move on to PHP. It is, IMO, a pretty good programming language-- especially with the improvements in 5.0. But its simplicity and forgiveness mean that it's too easy to make sloppy, badly-written code while never learning good programming practices.