Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2011, 10:28 am

I just read an interesting article about how siblings of autistic children often exhibit some traits themselves whether on the spectrum or not. While I'm on the much milder side, my brother is severely autistic. He's about to turn...20 (can't believe it) and hes still in grade school. He has a hard time communicating...like with forming sentences, but hes a smart kid. Unfortunately, he won't ever be able to live on his own entirely. There has to be strict adherence to the routine with him or things go crazy real fast. It can be difficult at times, but I love him very much.

Just curious how many WP members also have an autistic sibling?

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

I have one three year old brother nicknamed Boo with severe autism. He's an amazing artist for his age, he's really bright and can be the sweetest little kid in the world. He can even recongize and name all the major Star Wars characters, but he sometimes he confuses Luke with Han Solo (I'm working on that :wink:). My brother does get super upset when he has trouble talking to others, which I can relate to. Boo also gets a bit violent, and he's a big boy so I've gotten plently of nosebleeds and bruises. Still, I love him all the same. I hope all that therapy he's getting is helpful.

My 16y brother (from another mother) Matt's not autistic, but he's got some weird issues. He's got depression and OCD, and he believes he's scizophrenic. He's also got a really strong obbsession with Nazi Germany, but I'm going to ignore that. Afterall, I've got my thing with torture and nuclear bombs.

Alex (another brother from another mother lol) is like the child Jesus sent to give me a break from the chaos of the world. He's got some seperation anxiety problems, but his mom died when he was 4, so that's normal. It's nice to hang out with him because he's normal enough that it's not all insane when we're all together, but he's "broken into" weirdness enough that he's comfortable around the rest of us.

I wouldn't change anything about any of them... okey maybe less tattling on Matt's side and less tantrums on Boo's side... and Alex needs a freaking haircut. Why would an 11 year old want a mohawk?!

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2011, 11:11 am

My old brother is very quiet and a thick shell is just not getting out of.

my Aunt (same dad as my mom bot different mother) has severe autism. only mimics words she hears cant fed her self and needs someone by her side to help her do anything.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 12:30 pm

I have two brothers actually.

The youngest is sixteen, he's pretty high functioning. His special interest tends to be legos and he has a wild lego imagination to go with it.

The second youngest and the middle child is 18, and I suspect he's on the spectrum as well.

And then there is me born and diagnosed with aspergers.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Feb 2011, 1:51 pm

I do not. My only biological sibling is actually my half-sister. My father seems autistic (from memory - haven't seen him in ages), but she has a different father than I do. She and I share ADHD however, and she seems to be bipolar.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 1:58 pm

I have AS and my identical twin brother is an NT. We don't know why.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 2:05 pm

Yes.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 2:10 pm

Thankfully yes :wink:

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

He's not diagnosed by I think my younger brother has (he's 18 now) and my dad too

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 4:47 pm

I do not have an aspie sibling, but I'm pretty sure my mother has some sort of ASD.

I'm pretty sure that my sister is NT, but she has a lot of aspie-like traits. She tends to obsess over things, and once she sets her mind on something, she never gives up. She has a Disney obsession, which could qualify as a special interest. She was a little behind in her social development; not as bad as me, but a few years behind her peers.

Last edited by Yensid on 09 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 5:25 pm

I have two brothers. One of them is also autistic. One of them may have a few traits. The one who is autistic is by conventional standards far milder than me, despite my not subscribing to those standards. (I don't think it's possible to rate the mildness or severity of an autistic person very easily because there are so many different traits.)

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 6:34 pm

I have one sibling, and she is an NT. She does have a few AS traits, probably picked up from my mom (who most likely has undiagnosed AS) and me. For example, she speaks and writes formally, is hesitant about socializing, and avoids group events. But she is definitely not on the spectrum herself.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

Cicely wrote:
I have one sibling, and she is an NT. She does have a few AS traits, probably picked up from my mom (who most likely has undiagnosed AS) and me. For example, she speaks and writes formally, is hesitant about socializing, and avoids group events. But she is definitely not on the spectrum herself.

So she is probably an introverted NT. Nothing wrong with that! :)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

My sister I think has AS. She has nearly every symptom. However, we'll never know as she seems to not want to go to a therapist for no reason other than not wanting to be seen as crazy.

My brother is very, very autistic despite being high-functioning. He's dyslexic, has ADHD, thinks very narrowly, has no imagination, follows a strict schedule and really can't handle change. He used to be a great guy, but then he just got worse and worse, now to the point where we can barely stand him. He speaks 'evasively', which he'll deflect anything he does wrong onto others to make himself feel better. Twisting people's words is not uncommon with him as well. He's pretty immature.

My other sister is completely neurotypical. Completely. :|

All three have their faults, but I love them all the same. Even if my brother pisses me off all the time. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:11 am

everybody in my family has some traits at least. me and my older brother are the most aspie, though.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:18 am

No, but it seems that I'm the autistic sibling. :(