Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2011, 10:03 pm

My symptoms developed at 6th grade though my symptoms are getting more extreme each year. I notice how people commented on my symptoms at 10th grade though it has increasingly rapidly developed at 9th grade.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:33 pm

pensieve wrote:
I was bullied as early as kindergarten too.

Weird how that works. Are autistics bully magnets? I was rolled into a drainage ditch when I was four when I wouldn't get out of my little red wagon.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:51 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Are autistics bully magnets?

Absolutely! Being different, being naive, and being socially clueless guarantees it. Poor coordination makes it worse.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 11:39 am

Yensid wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Are autistics bully magnets?

Absolutely! Being different, being naive, and being socially clueless guarantees it. Poor coordination makes it worse.

Very well said.
I still can't imagine what made our local neighbourhood bullies look for me specifically so that they could have some fun. Like I was their favourite toy or something.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 12:31 pm

I showed no signs of AS or Dyspraxia 'til the very day I started school (which was age 4 years and 5 months). The symptoms started began really bad, and it shocked all the teachers and my parents. I done Autistic things like sitting alone and not wanting to even go near any other children, and when I was near them I freaked out and played up, making the teacher cry in the end. Yes, she literally cried.
But this only went on for about 2 weeks, then I settled in fine, by having help from the teaching assistants. I threw a few tantrums in my first couple of years of school, and by the age of 6 I stopped throwing tantrums, but I used to just cry if I got told off or something. Then by age 7 to 8, I got better, and was no different to the other children at school, and all the teachers were proud of me and how I grew better each year. I mixed with the other children well, and my symptoms were still there but I learnt to control what was the ''normal'' behaviour and what wasn't, which was how I fitted in well and didn't get bullied.

But I still have Aspie symptoms, and I always will, and I will always struggle in certain areas.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

pensieve wrote:
I was bullied as early as kindergarten too.

I think that's when mine started too. It started with being in my neighborhood by older kids and mom would tell me they do that to everyone and they are just teasing. I don't think she realized they were targeting me and they were keeping their focus on me. Maybe they did it to others too whom they couldn't stand nor didn't want around. At school, I didn't get it so much because I was in special ed full time so that could be why and I swear there is some social taboo against picking on disabled kids. So me being in special ed said it all and I was left alone. Only very few kids were mean to me sometimes which was maybe normal kid behavior they were doing. It wasn't like they did it all the time.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:16 pm

When I was about three.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 4:43 pm

I'm not being rude, but how can one get bullied when they're toddlers? I worked at a nursery about 3 years ago for a college placement, and I was dealing with children of aged 2, 3 and 4, and nobody got bullied. Well, there was an incidence when 2 little girls wouldn't let a little boy play with them because ''he was a boy'', (they said), but that is not really classed as bullying because they're too young to judge somebody and started bullying. They seemed more interested in playing with the toys than anything else. There was even a little girl there who I thought might have been an Aspie. She might not have been, because children are all different and are still developing their social interaction and are still learning social cues in different ways, and are still learning how to even speak, but she used to shake her head a lot, (as in stimming), and she never looked at anybody or liked being touched - she used to push herself away if anyone tried to touch her. Once she was playing with a dolls house, and another child came over to play with it, and she quickly walked away because she didn't seem to want to share toys with other children. I had never heard her speak to anyone either, and she used to want the toys to be laid out in a certain way, and didn't like it if the toy cooker was messed up (she used to stack the little plastic plates neatly on the toy cooker whenever other children messed them up). Again, I might be wrong - she might have changed by now, but I'm just saying she could have been on the spectrum, or even had some other NL disability, but none of the other kids really noticed. All the typically childish things they done wasn't to anyone personally, it was just them being children.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not being rude, but how can one get bullied when they're toddlers? I worked at a nursery about 3 years ago for a college placement, and I was dealing with children of aged 2, 3 and 4, and nobody got bullied. [/i]

Maybe in that environment you didn't see it. But kids only a few years older will torment 3 and 4 year olds. Trust me. I still have a scar on my temple from one of those "not too old to be a bully" kids.

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2011, 5:54 pm

I knew I didn't fit in socially by about age 6. I didn't know why until 54.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 7:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not being rude, but how can one get bullied when they're toddlers? I worked at a nursery about 3 years ago for a college placement, and I was dealing with children of aged 2, 3 and 4, and nobody got bullied.

For me, as said before, it wasn't teasing or judging kind of bullying. I was immediatedly isolated from peers my age. They literally wouldn't let me on the play gym. Many of the teachers just thought I was the kid who didn't play with anyone. But they didn't know that all the kids ignored me, and didn't talk to me. They thought I was the shy kid.

Truth was, I did try to talk to a lot of kids, but got ignored a lot.

It happens, just in different ways. For me I was isolated before I was physically bullied and teased.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 7:59 pm

I didnt get bullied until 7th grade. It was very intense and lasted through 8th grade. In 7th, as elementary fed into junior high school and school populations merged I suddenly found that I had no allies. The kids I'd grown up with didnt bother me much but the new kids did and when I tried to turn back toward the kids I'd known earlier in school, that door was shut. I once tried to speak in class to a guy I'd known casually for years in earlier grades and he seemed offended that I would try to speak to him. Berated me for it. That was a shocker and let me know what my new status really was.

In elementary, I could be a casual outsider without attracting trouble.

gaakz
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

i guess i showed symptoms since around age 5, but didn't become aware that 'there was something wrong with me' until middle school, and only found out why about 6 months ago.

I was a really [really really really] talkative kid [with adults] and had a lot of friends my age. We shared the same interests [cartoons, sports, toys, videogames] and my 'special interests' overlapped with a lot of theirs, so it was all good socially. But I did have a frustrating time trying to even understand my emotions, much less express them in speech. I never really 'talked' with my friends, we just did stuff. and i used to have overwhelming emotional tantrums that mostly got expressed in isolation and steely silence.

then around 6th grade I started getting into music [classical music], art, and books to an amazing degree that i stopped doing everything else almost entirely. So there went my friends. I was never bullied in middle school, but I did become sort of the school 'smart kid' everyone talked to and laughed at half the time. but I was great at putting people in their place with a few choice words of insult, so there was a kind of balance.

by the time i was in high school i was too engrossed in my own world to care much about anyone my age. I abhorred the music, style, slang, etc teenagers were using. I was that guy everyone knows about but no one talks to.

after high school i started working and made very little connection with anyone outside my family. i'm still devoted to music [i'm actually a composer, but i don't do it for a living...no money there] and spend most of my time either in church activities or music.

the more isolated i become, though, my AS gets worse. If I'm around people for extended periods [mostly against my will] i tend to become almost 'normal', but I'd rather be by myself. It's a balancing act, I suppose.

Last edited by gaakz on 12 Feb 2011, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 10:13 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
I was immediatedly isolated from peers my age. They literally wouldn't let me on the play gym. Many of the teachers just thought I was the kid who didn't play with anyone. But they didn't know that all the kids ignored me, and didn't talk to me. They thought I was the shy kid.

Truth was, I did try to talk to a lot of kids, but got ignored a lot.

I got a mix of verbal abuse and getting ignored. I think that getting ignored is worse than the verbal abuse. It plays with your mind. It makes you feel like you are going crazy. It's so frustrating because people who have never experienced it have no idea about how painful it can be.

About_A_Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2011, 12:34 pm

I always know inside that I am different, but I never thought of it as a bad thing, and I never knew that it is because of the social thing. I just blame all the inconvenience brought by these differences on other things, like people's jealousy, bad luck, or sth... My family is very protective and supportive; in a bad way I am sheltered from the truth that I am actually a little weirdo until I entered college. To this day I don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. My mom always tells me the only difference is that I have a sweet nature and unlike others, will never ever hurt anyone on purpose. I believe her and never blamed on myself too harshly for awkward behaviours that cause inconvenience... But I met a couple of friends in college who kindly told me I have a socializing problem.

And I started to pay attention to the traits after watching an aspie movie and some books. So it all became clear out of my memory box...

As a toddler I refused to be held by anyone other than my parents; was afraid of strangers.

In kindergarten I only hanged out with two girls who were like big sisters to me. And I constantly wept for no reason in the corner during group activities (At first the teacher and other kids would come to console me; later they got used to me and just let me get over it...)

I was beaten up by a neighbour girl at the age of 4; my family broke with hers because of this. I never knew why and always thought it was because she was a little premature bully girl..., but now I guess it is because of the aspie thing. I was never bullied after that; but maybe people have thrown words with implicit malice at me but I tended to filter bad things.

I loved Barbies, but only because of the furnitures and clothes; never shared with other kids...

Usually I only have a couple of close friends ever since elementary school. A classmate told me at a reunion lunch that "people like you; but the thing is that they don't know who you like".

I was very isolated from my peers during elementary school; I did it on purpose, the reason now think of it is that I was afraid of the other kids...nevertheless I enjoyed playing with them as long as no emotional exchange was required.

At 16 I started to work on my social skills more consciously and realize there is something lacking in me that others have.

I have been obssessed with language studies and word play. ever since 8 years old.

I realized in middle school that I can't tell if a person means good or bad when he says something about me to me. Like a classmate told me that I tended to say things that offend people. At that time I thought he was just being rude and he said so because he did not like me. Now I know for sure he meant well and he wanted me to learn better to protect myself.

So, forget my long babble and bad grammar...in short, I noticed that I'm bad at making friends during 5th grade; that I expressed my thoughts wrongly and can not tell a friend from a foe during junior high; and that cannot pick up social cues during high school. And I realized all these are related to a certain A word that is asperger's, in college.

Before that, it is shyness, jealousy, choosing dream over relationship, etc, these excuses that I give myself to get over life thinking I am just a normal kid.