Has anyone tried the Gluten-Free/Casein-Free Diet?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

InvisibleLion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

its hard...oh so hard.....when you are hungry and just one slice of toast would make you happy.

but it was worth it. and in time you get used to it, and dont even crave the wheat. (ive now totally fallen off the wagon and am experiencing the immense difference)

symtoms wise, my skin cleared up, eyes cleared up too, less brain fog, stomach aches, constipation and irritability. helped with sleeping patterns. and got more balanced energy as opposed to the hyper kind...dont know if that makes sense. in general healthier immune system, so was not getting as many of the bugs that go around. Much less depressed.

as for the autism side of things, it meant i can handle more...my threshhold was stronger for oversensory issues.

a better body helps for a better mind.

as for the cost etc. gf food is indeed expensive and not as freely available as in the cosmop cities. what worked for me was eventually changing my choices, the gf food tastes much better now, but before tasted alot like 'missing out on the real thing'.

Asian, Mid Eastern & Indian food recipes, as well as the cultural food as a whole is much less wheat oriented. Including rice based desserts, which taste as they should....not trying to taste like something else. Mexican style too. The bonus about asian & indian is also that it reheats well, or can taste better the next day. Cook in larger amounts and cover yourself for more meals. (which totally helps not having to come up with a plan for a snack...cos i think toast first!)

i was not a salad person. but learnt that putting alot more interesting items and finding a tasty dressing, can make them much more palatable. get creative.

cost wise, rice is not as expensive, and if you invest in a good range of spices.....you're always just one onion and a few veg (or even a can of beans)... away from a tasty meal.

fruit and nuts.... graze mid mealtimes. not sure if anyone esle felt a little 'unfull' after going GF. But grazing inbetween kind of helped. and if not potatoes fill the hole that pasta left behind.

chaines321
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

My grandmom has prepared a week long of gluten free food for me to try a whole week of gluten free stuff and see how it works. I have IBS and we think it's from gluten. She has also made me GF dinners, chocolate chip cookies, and is making me a GF cake for my graduation.