How does an Aspie talk to girls??

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eg4man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2011, 2:18 pm

I have aspergers syndrome high function, I'm 22 and never been in a relationship, no girl has ever had the slightest interest in me, I've had crushes, but I will probably never be in a relationship. My sister and dad say I'm socially awkward and act like a 16 year old half the time, they say I'm to immature. I don't drive, I live at home, but at least i have a job i guess. I guess I'm pretty pathetic individual. I get depressed alot, well I'm bypolar and ADD too, so I guess it makes sense. I say inappropriate things. My life is sad, (sighhhh) I'm too negative and hard on myself too people say, My life is going nowhere (blarg!! !) I bet relationships are over rated, :(

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:19 pm

some are over-rated, some aren't.
there are 1000 threads on the board covering the same ground about talking to girls.
'i will probably never be in a relationhip' there is your first problem.
the negative attitude.

eg4man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

my friends and family say you can change be more positive, its really hard too for me, ive been negative for years like since i started middle school. I can me friendly and very nice person, but then the people still realize I am too hard on myself. and when people can tell your different (have a disorder) it makes thing more frustrating. I'm not ashamed to be autistic, but not proud either.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:29 pm

i used to be very negative too - but a positive outlook changes a lot.
and yes, it does make things more difficult, but you're using it as a crutch and an excuses.
people sense when you think like that and it's not very attractive, especially in a guy.

so do whatever it takes to change that - therapy is a good place to start i've found.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

You need to learn to reframe your thoughts.

Instead of:

I'm negative.

try

I could be more positive.

I love overcast, chilly days. I say, I love overcast, chilly days. I wouldn't say, I love overcast, chilly days because the sun really hurts my eyes. I still have the thought in my head but I choose not to voice it because of it's negativity. The only thought that gets to leave is the positive one.

If someone asks your opinion about something, fight the urge to point out where something is wrong and, instead, only point out something that is right. Obviously, you can't do that forever because there are real situations that mandate honest and accurate critique; but, until you get a handle on being more positive than negative, I want you to do these reframing exercises.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:40 pm

eg4man wrote:
I have aspergers syndrome high function, I'm 22 and never been in a relationship, no girl has ever had the slightest interest in me, I've had crushes, but I will probably never be in a relationship. My sister and dad say I'm socially awkward and act like a 16 year old half the time, they say I'm to immature. I don't drive, I live at home, but at least i have a job i guess. I guess I'm pretty pathetic individual. I get depressed alot, well I'm bypolar and ADD too, so I guess it makes sense. I say inappropriate things. My life is sad, (sighhhh) I'm too negative and hard on myself too people say, My life is going nowhere (blarg!! !) I bet relationships are over rated, :(

Your post reframed:

I have a high functioning AS, depression, BPD and ADD. I'm 22, employed and live at home. I haven't been in a relationship yet but I'm very interested in changing that. My social anxiety and confidence problems can get in my way of talking to girls so I'd like some advice on how to overcome these difficulties so I can move forward. :)

eg4man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2011, 2:48 pm

WOW, it is amazing how you reworded things, no I'm not being a smart elic, but the way you guys are saying for me to go about things sounds very confusing. to ME i mean! I think I can probably just get used to being alone, I am but 1 measly human on this planet, and my existance does not matter to majority of the population let alone the females, but oh well. (sigh)

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 2:49 pm

:roll: it's like you just ignore the advice.
have you ever just given it a try?

wefunction just gave some near perfect advice and you still replied with all negatives.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:17 pm

eg4man wrote:
I am but 1 measly human on this planet, and my existance does not matter to majority of the population let alone the females, but oh well. (sigh)

Who cares dude? We're all measly, insignificant humans. It also doesn't matter how much you fall short of perfection.

What does matter if whether you act on your will or not. If you want to meet girls, then do that the best way you know how.

You could spend your whole life trying to validate yourself as "good enough" and learning how to be perfect, but you'll never get there. Don't waste your time like that.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:19 pm

It's easy for a girl happy in a relationship, in a completely different frame of mind, to say stop being negative to someone, about this issue. Girls don't have to make the first move. Hate me if you must, but it's true.

For the guys it's got to be a near-impossible epic mission. Not knowing how to talk to girls can put us down to beyond-imaginable lows. It sure has to me. It can be very hard to keep thinking positively when life can be so unfair. :x

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Feb 2011, 3:19 pm

He won't learn over night! :) I used to be very, very negative. People would tell me, and I would get defensive. Over time, I realized that I was putting people off by always voicing the negative aspects of things. I had to learn that there are always positive aspects going on, too. And that I had a choice as to which things I would focus on, and which things I could actually ignore.

So, eg4man, do you think in pictures? If so, try thinking about what you are about to say as a painting. Try not to use dark, depressing colors, just neutral or pleasant colors.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

Quote:
It's easy for a girl happy in a relationship, in a completely different frame of mind, to say stop being negative to someone, about this issue. Girls don't have to make the first move.

Guys don't have to make the first move either.
And i'm just giving my advice which was asked - and my advice is stop being negative, i know, to an extent, what lots of women like - i'm just giving my insight.

Quote:
For the guys it's got to be a near-impossible epic mission. Not knowing how to talk to girls can put us down to beyond-imaginable lows. It sure has to me. It can be very hard to keep thinking positively when life can be so unfair.

Near impossible if you don't try, yes.
My life is nowhere near perfect, it's been ridiculously unfair to me too - and things only ever got better when I stopped looking like the world was out to get me. You make your own luck by taking action.
Nothing in life worth doing is easy.

Yep. It's probably the most difficult thing in the world - but it's oh so worth it.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 4:19 pm

Get a fleshlight I't almost feels like a real vagina tm

Just stop worrying man and watch some comedy or something. I can assure you that p**** is quite literally an acquired taste. :lol:

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 5:49 pm

The myth that is perpetuated when it comes to talking to girls is that you have to be perfect. You don't. If she really is the type of girl where you have to be perfect in the approach, then run for the hills. They are just as afraid of you as you are of them. I know that's what our mothers tell us about deer in the woods, but it's also true of women. If you approach them with fear, they will talk to you in fear. If you approach them without fear, they will talk to you without fear. This is why womanizers are so successful, because they have no fear, but because they take that to the extreme, it becomes a problem. There is nothing they can do to you that you haven't already done to yourself.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 6:19 pm

Alright, alright. I admit, this one is a little harder to translate, but it can be done. *cracking knuckles* Here we go:

eg4man wrote:
WOW, it is amazing how you reworded things, no I'm not being a smart elic, but the way you guys are saying for me to go about things sounds very confusing. to ME i mean! I think I can probably just get used to being alone, I am but 1 measly human on this planet, and my existance does not matter to majority of the population let alone the females, but oh well. (sigh)

Thank you for the advice and showing me how I can say things positively. I'd love some more advice on how this works so that I can really understand, change and feel better about myself. I'm sure the better that I feel about myself, the more other people will enjoy talking to me. This is a great challenge.

Edit to Add:
By the way, "WOW, it is amazing how you reworded things" is a perfectly fine thing to say. I was translating everything that came after it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 8:05 pm

It's simple, really. Be positive. There aren't many women who like negativity. They don't want someone who'll just be a Johnny Raincloud every day. No one does. Don't treat them any less than equal. Guys that do treat them less than equal, don't even have a chance. Be yourself. Lies are a big nono if you want anything from anyone. Unless you're an axe murderer, being yourself is quite attractive.

Above anything, anything, is to have confidence, or at least be able to fake it. This is a big factor in any encounter.

The rest depends on what the girl likes and dislikes.

This is just what I find, so if anyone finds something wrong with it, feel free to tear me apart. :D