Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 1:13 am

I absolutely love these games. Ive been playing them since i was a kid and only lately stopped playing, ive done Dragon warrior 1,2,3 and 7. Number 7 was the best one so far in my opinion, anyone else play or played these?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 1:38 am

I've played a bit of 8, but for me Final Fantasy is way better. 8)

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

12 Feb 2011, 12:55 pm

Only played DQVIII, but I'm pondering whether Sentinel of the Starry Skies is worth my time. To be honest, Final Fantasy is a much better JRPG series that Dragon Quest

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

Rather amused at this thread coming up now.

I used to love FF7 back in the day, spent months on it. Never really liked the look of any other FF games since then. Tried FF13 a few days ago and it's totally on rails and didn't like it other than the looks. Basically I've been waiting for another FF7 for over a decade.

I got DQIX yesterday (hence amused at this thread being here) and it's exactly what I've been waiting for. Never having played an earlier DQ, I went to a few reviews and wiki's to see if I missed something I should have played ages ago, and it seems DQIX is the first to do it more like FF7 in that it's a far more open world with more side quests. One review said the previous DQ games were "Just one goal, and everything on the way was just a hindrance to that one path", which this isn't.

So basically, I would kill to play FF7 again, and in DQIX I've found that and more.

Oh and FF13 is NOT what I'm after ;)

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 2:33 pm

Have you even bothered to try Final Fantasy 8, 9, 10, or 12? They're all awesome. 8) FF10 is pretty linear, but the other 3 aren't.

I'll have to try out DQIX sometime.

EDIT: Watched a video review and it looks pretty bad. :P

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 2:56 pm

I havnt tried Final Fantasy actually, I should give it a go.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2011, 3:20 pm

I finished Dragon Quest IV and I.
I like em but I am still a die hard FF fan.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 3:25 pm

tangomike wrote:
I havnt tried Final Fantasy actually, I should give it a go.

WHAT?!? What is this I don't even...

You definitely have to try them. I recommend looking into 7 (good but way over-rated), 8, 9, 10, and 12. :wink:

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2011, 3:26 pm

Since you played the first three DQs you should start with 5 for gameplay and 6 if you like a good story.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

12 Feb 2011, 6:27 pm

FFVII is an excellent choice if you're new to Final Fantasy, assuming you like JRPG's in 3D. If 2D, sprite-based 'old-school' graphics are your thing, however, then FFVI has you covered.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 10:33 pm

Dragon Warrior was my introduction to RPGs when I was a kid. At first I thought it was pointless and boring. Awhile later I thought it was kind of addictive. After a couple hours I knew it was absolutely amazing. :D

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 9:33 am

There is too much Final Fantasy talk in this thread for my liking :roll:

Apples and oranges, guys.

I've only beaten I (NES and GBC), II (GBC), III (NES and GBC), and IX (NDS). Working through the original NES IV at the moment. I got pretty far in VII a while back, but then I lost the memory card I'd been using...it's been so long, I'd probably need to start all over again anyway.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:25 pm

DQ 5 is an amazing game, and should serve as a nice intro to the series for FF fans - Especially now that it's been remade for the DS as "Hand of the Heavenly Bride." This series is very different from Final Fantasy though. A better comparison might be Suikoden or Lufia. Anyway, as much as I used to love FF, that series is going downhill in a hurry. If FF14 is any indication, now is the time to get into DQ.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 12:22 am

Ok ill play DQ5 then, oooo Suikoden! Ive only played Suikoden III but it was one of my favorite games of all time

Icecypher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

Dragon Quest VI is my favorite game ever! And it has now been remade for the DS.

I loved Dragon Quest VII for all the character interaction and all the things that can be collected.