Ability to tell/feel exact (or almost exact) dates

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

esh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

13 Feb 2011, 9:41 am

I'm not sure if it can be related to Asperger's or my synesthesia (as I learned from another thread I started), but there's one really strange thing I can do.
For example, I can tell which month and year someone is born, but I percieve it when someone asks me, I literally will feel the age of that person and I have never made a mistake yet. Sometimes I notice myself feeling the age/date etc but most of the time I just don't notice myself doing it. The same is with music, and it's much easier to tell for me. Today we had an experiment at lunch; my sister played random songs from youtube, and I said that "the video is posted on may 19th 2010 but the release date of the song is in december 2009" and it turned out that it was posted on may 20th 2010, the release date of the song was in the end of december 2009. I have never heard that song before. There was also another song. I told the time when it was played (filmed during the concert) - october 1988. And so on. Like if the music or the word, or the person feels like a certain combination of numbers, but I don't understand how can it actually relate to their birth date, or a release date for music and so on, I just feel it.
In my previous thread, someone also mentioned Daniel Tammet. I have a very similar perception of numbers, but also, I was quite amazed about his fascination with languages. I don't think I'm like him but there are many similarities. I'm not really good at grammar and languages are quite difficult for me because of the grammar rules, but I love to notice patterns between different words. I associate many words with other languages and also my brain immediately searches for those patterns and words with similar meaning and word roots. I don't have to think of it, it just happens. It doesn't have to be related to each other, but I have the same feeling towards numbers and words. I am however very fast at Maths and make up equations in my head automatically.
Is my experience with dates also related to synesthesia in a way?

*I might not reply today or during the next week, I have so many questions so I post them straight away. I will reply in a week, when I'll have a school break.*

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 10:19 am

Wow, that's pretty cool. I have the ability to look at someone and instantly perceive so much about them, including but not limited to: insecurities, sex drive, kinkiness, intelligence, reasoning skills, interests in activities, and more. People say I read too much into it, until they see me do it, and then they are rather amazed. I've always been able to do this to some extent, but after I got off the medication, my abilities skyrocketed.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 11:39 am

I have no idea, but that's really cool!

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:32 am

I have a similar "skill" where I can look at a photo or a movie and I know where it was shot. It doesn't have to be a famous landmark or something, it can be as simple as a tree on a hill somewhere. I think it has to do with attention to detail.

esh

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

14 Feb 2011, 6:49 am

alexptrans wrote:
I have a similar "skill" where I can look at a photo or a movie and I know where it was shot. It doesn't have to be a famous landmark or something, it can be as simple as a tree on a hill somewhere. I think it has to do with attention to detail.

It probably is.. but how can I "feel" the video posting dates? Or something completely unrelated with detail to the music style, instruments..?

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2011, 3:05 pm

esh wrote:
alexptrans wrote:

It probably is.. but how can I "feel" the video posting dates? Or something completely unrelated with detail to the music style, instruments..?

Neural networks are marvellous at making extrapolations. I recommend you read a thing or 2 on neural nets. Like he said is the details, then the neural net does its magic, and he gives you the answer.

Its not unusual at all to feel an answer. When you gain experience in something, you don't need to think about it much any more, you guess the solutions, and the guesses are usually right. Normally you get that after a lot of experience. That's how experts are good, they don't do symbolic calculations in there head, they guess solutions.