Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:51 am

Vigilans wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
No I don't mean the actual books of the New Testament but rather practices such as Christmas and Easter and perhaps the later organization of the Church. I don't profess to be an expert in Christian history :) . I definitely believe Jesus was a real man though, unlike many non-Theists I guess :P . In my view he was a really great guy that had a profound message like a few others throughout history

im not an expert on anything really sure i know a lot but there is actually very little i know that can be put to practical use other than annoying people with random zippy wow facts im pretty useless it sucks because even though i would love to be a BioMedical Gerontologist i have NOTHING really to offer to the world and i hate being a burden on other people i would rather be dead than a burden on anyone TBH

Feeling a little blue tonight King? Don't worry man I think you're intelligent :) . When I was 17 I didn't really know what to do with myself either. You have obvious intellectual capacity just find a field where your extensive knowledge can be made use of. Who knows you could even end up fulfilling that dream!

nah i get depressed like every day especially when i look at my life and see how little ive accomplished though maybe its cuz everyone says im much older on the inside so i expect to much from myself but when i cant step up to the bat i get depressed instead of trying again

i know i am intelligent but only book smarts no real common sense or logic smarts

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 4:00 am

MCalavera wrote:
LKL wrote:
No, actually, he's right. There are a lot of things about Christianity that echo prior religions.

First of all, correlation doesn't imply causation.

True. But no correlation implies no causation. Or by modus tollens causation implies correlation.

ruveyn

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:32 am

TheKing wrote:
nah i promote Atheism but he is saying Christianity is original even though history proves him wrong and im just trying to make him see that history has proved him wrong but he is apparently to blind

Were you confused by the term "mythicism"? It is not incompatible with atheism, but rather a lot of atheists are mythicists. Atheism is a position on the existence of a god, but mythicism is a position on the nature and existence of Jesus of Nazareth. Mythicists hold that Jesus either didn't exist, or may not have existed, and that this level of historical doubt is justified by the belief that Jesus was in many ways just a compilation of other myths, thus meaning that little about Jesus is actually from Jesus himself.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 1:17 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TheKing wrote:
nah i promote Atheism but he is saying Christianity is original even though history proves him wrong and im just trying to make him see that history has proved him wrong but he is apparently to blind

Were you confused by the term "mythicism"? It is not incompatible with atheism, but rather a lot of atheists are mythicists. Atheism is a position on the existence of a god, but mythicism is a position on the nature and existence of Jesus of Nazareth. Mythicists hold that Jesus either didn't exist, or may not have existed, and that this level of historical doubt is justified by the belief that Jesus was in many ways just a compilation of other myths, thus meaning that little about Jesus is actually from Jesus himself.

sorry i misread it as Mysticism

my bad

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:59 am

That will happen to the best of us.

My sainted mother - as language picky as any of my family - told us that in her early college days she was sorely embarrassed.

Never having heard it, she pronounced - IN public - the word MISLED, assuming it was from a verb "to misle", rhyming with "the guys'll..."

She was sadly misled by Anglic spelling.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 4:04 pm

TheKing wrote:
Sand wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
No I don't mean the actual books of the New Testament but rather practices such as Christmas and Easter and perhaps the later organization of the Church. I don't profess to be an expert in Christian history :) . I definitely believe Jesus was a real man though, unlike many non-Theists I guess :P . In my view he was a really great guy that had a profound message like a few others throughout history

im not an expert on anything really sure i know a lot but there is actually very little i know that can be put to practical use other than annoying people with random zippy wow facts im pretty useless it sucks because even though i would love to be a BioMedical Gerontologist i have NOTHING really to offer to the world and i hate being a burden on other people i would rather be dead than a burden on anyone TBH

No problem. You'll be dead soon enough. Meanwhile you have a bit of time to experiment.

im interested in BioMedical Gerontology(the study of life extension) because i DONT want to die

Wow, that rare beast: a teenager who recognizes his own mortality! Good for you - your probability of surviving until 30 is higher than that of most of your peers.

Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. You will die someday. Maybe you'll live healthy for another hundred years, and maybe you'll die in a car crash tomorrow; you can control some of the odds (by not smoking, not drinking and driving (or being a passenger in a car with a drunk driver), but you can't control everything.
What you can control is how you live your life.
Something Stephen Batchelor wrote:
'Since death is certain, and the time of death is uncertain, what should I do right now?'

another thing to think about is a legacy; for many people, the idea of death loses some of its sting if one has accomplished something good and lasting that will 'live' longer than the person themself.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 1:46 pm

LKL wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Sand wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

No problem. You'll be dead soon enough. Meanwhile you have a bit of time to experiment.

im interested in BioMedical Gerontology(the study of life extension) because i DONT want to die

Wow, that rare beast: a teenager who recognizes his own mortality! Good for you - your probability of surviving until 30 is higher than that of most of your peers.

Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. You will die someday. Maybe you'll live healthy for another hundred years, and maybe you'll die in a car crash tomorrow; you can control some of the odds (by not smoking, not drinking and driving (or being a passenger in a car with a drunk driver), but you can't control everything.
What you can control is how you live your life.
Something Stephen Batchelor wrote:
'Since death is certain, and the time of death is uncertain, what should I do right now?'

another thing to think about is a legacy; for many people, the idea of death loses some of its sting if one has accomplished something good and lasting that will 'live' longer than the person themself.

i am aware of my own mortality yes and its true that the most dangerous thing anyone ever does is step outside and there are a lot of factors out of my control but that wont stop me from trying, i mean falling down isnt defeat, not getting back up is.

and what is the point of leaving a legacy if you wont be there to experience it?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:09 pm

Because, while you are alive, you will know that your legacy will outlive you; that takes a little of the edge off of the sting of knowing you'll die.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:24 pm

Quote:
and what is the point of leaving a legacy if you wont be there to experience it?

For some people a legacy is comforting. For others it's meaningless. It's just a matter of personal perspective. For those who believe that death negates the meaning of life, there isnt much comfort available. IIRC, Camus has some stuff about bravery in the face of the absurdity of life and that sort of thing.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Mar 2011, 8:05 am

simon_says wrote:
Quote:

For some people a legacy is comforting. For others it's meaningless. It's just a matter of personal perspective. For those who believe that death negates the meaning of life, there isnt much comfort available. IIRC, Camus has some stuff about bravery in the face of the absurdity of life and that sort of thing.

The question can best be translated as "What's in it fer me?"

A very self-centered view, IMO

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 9:10 am

And yet a sizable majority keep on living.