MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:38 am

TheKing wrote:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-god-who-wasnt-there/

a great documentary i found today

Seen this one before.

What I want you to do is post any link that points to any historical evidence that supports the idea that Jesus was a mythological character influenced by earlier mythological characters and that his story as depicted in the Bible is an adapted version of earlier mythological stories before him.

By the way, one of my Aspie obsessions in the past was Greek/Roman Mythology, so I'm very confident in my arguments here. Be well prepared. ;)

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:55 am

MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

Seen this one before.

What I want you to do is post any link that points to any historical evidence that supports the idea that Jesus was a mythological character influenced by earlier mythological characters and that his story as depicted in the Bible is an adapted version of earlier mythological stories before him.

By the way, one of my Aspie obsessions in the past was Greek/Roman Mythology, so I'm very confident in my arguments here. Be well prepared. ;)

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa1.htm

this one is in there and is the Christians biggest argument about why many other religions before were very similar if not the same and it is a very weak argument though this does prove the christians agree with me to an extent which according to them you should agree also

Satan did it to deceive: Various early church writers, such as Irenaeus (Bishop of Lyons; circa 120 CE to ?) Justin Martyr (Christian apologist; 100 to 165), Tertullian (Christian theologian; circa 160 to 220 +) concluded that the Pagan/Christian similarities were a Satanic attempt at "diabolical mimicry." Satan was said to have use "plagiarism by anticipation." That is, the Devil made a pre-emptive strike against the gospel stories centuries before Jesus was born. The reason was to confuse the public into thinking that Jesus was merely a copy of previous god-men. The goal was to demolish the credibility of Christianity in the people's eyes.

its not everything you asked for but its 11pm here in California and i have school tomorrow so due to lack of time this is the best i can do because reading through countless articles does take time will get more info at a later time but this does cover quite a bit of it and again Christianity agrees with me though they blame it on the mythological creature the Devil but they still do agree

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:06 am

TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

Seen this one before.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa1.htm

this one is in there and is the Christians biggest argument about why many other religions before were very similar if not the same and it is a very weak argument though this does prove the christians agree with me to an extent which according to them you should agree also

Satan did it to deceive: Various early church writers, such as Irenaeus (Bishop of Lyons; circa 120 CE to ?) Justin Martyr (Christian apologist; 100 to 165), Tertullian (Christian theologian; circa 160 to 220 +) concluded that the Pagan/Christian similarities were a Satanic attempt at "diabolical mimicry." Satan was said to have use "plagiarism by anticipation." That is, the Devil made a pre-emptive strike against the gospel stories centuries before Jesus was born. The reason was to confuse the public into thinking that Jesus was merely a copy of previous god-men. The goal was to demolish the credibility of Christianity in the people's eyes.

its not everything you asked for but its 11pm here in California and i have school tomorrow so due to lack of time this is the best i can do because reading through countless articles does take time will get more info at a later time but this does cover quite a bit of it and again Christianity agrees with me though they blame it on the mythological creature the Devil but they still do agree

Just as I had expected, you linked me to a site of rubbish. I said I wanted HISTORICAL evidence ... not opinions of modern fake "scholars".

And no, no intelligent and educated Christian agrees with you (remember, I was one myself). It's only naive Christians who took such arguments for granted that came up with the nonsense about Satan.

And never mind that you took the quotes of the early Church fathers out of context ...

When you're back here again tomorrow, be ready to post actual evidence. Thank you in advance.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:20 am

before i go to sleep how can you take "Plagiarism by Anticipation" out of context? thats exactly what those scholars said and it was just there excuse to cover for the fact that they used elements of quite a few religions as their basis

and frankly i dont really need to give you anything i mean its quite obvious you own a computer which means you are perfectly(not sure i want to say mentally) but physically capable of searching it up on your own i gave you what you need i listed a few already in a previous post just search them up.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:38 am

TheKing wrote:
before i go to sleep how can you take "Plagiarism by Anticipation" out of context? thats exactly what those scholars said and it was just there excuse to cover for the fact that they used elements of quite a few religions as their basis

and frankly i dont really need to give you anything i mean its quite obvious you own a computer which means you are perfectly(not sure i want to say mentally) but physically capable of searching it up on your own i gave you what you need i listed a few already in a previous post just search them up.

You made some big claims that need some good backing up with good historical evidence. You have provided none so far.

And no, trying to attack me does not count as evidence. Let's hope you don't end up using ad hominem as your actual argument in this thread like Acharya S and her fangirls like to do with every person who challenges their claims.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:43 am

MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

You made some big claims that need some good backing up with good historical evidence. You have provided none so far.

And no, trying to attack me does not count as evidence. Let's hope you don't end up using ad hominem as your actual argument in this thread like Acharya S and her fangirls like to do with every person who challenges their claims.

i didnt attack you or make claims i presented what i had thought was common knowledge having learned most of it in middle school(we went over most ancient religions then i did research on my own afterwards) i just wasnt aware you didnt listen to the teacher course i doubt you had a teacher like Mr. Nakade who made history so fun for me which got me interested in it in the first place

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:51 am

TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

and frankly i dont really need to give you anything i mean its quite obvious you own a computer which means you are perfectly(not sure i want to say mentally) but physically capable of searching it up on your own i gave you what you need i listed a few already in a previous post just search them up

God soo lazy arent you

i didnt attack you or make claims i presented what i had thought was common knowledge having learned most of it in middle school(we went over most ancient religions then i did research on my own afterwards) i just wasnt aware you didnt listen to the teacher course i doubt you had a teacher like Mr. Nakade who made history so fun for me which got me interested in it in the first place

Did Mr. Nakade teach you that there were mythological characters prior to Jesus that were said to have died on the cross for the sins of many and risen from the dead within three days?

Do you believe what Kersey Graves says in "The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors"?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 2:56 am

MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

Did Mr. Nakade teach you that there were mythological characters prior to Jesus that were said to have died on the cross for the sins of many and risen from the dead within three days?

Do you believe what Kersey Graves says in "The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors"?

and i know there are no other ones that died on the cross for our supposed sins i was referring to the son of god, turning water to wine, born of a virgin birth on december 25, 12 disciples, performing miracles that sort of thing i meant that Christianity is based off of other pagan religions by taking many of their myths and creating a supposed truth out of them i NEVER once said any other son of god character died on a cross and rose from the dead 3 days after that was just you twisting my words to send me on a chase you know doesnt exist because i had no idea thats what you were referring to and i have never read "The Worlds Sixteen Crucified Saviors" never even heard of it before now

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 3:03 am

TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:

and frankly i dont really need to give you anything i mean its quite obvious you own a computer which means you are perfectly(not sure i want to say mentally) but physically capable of searching it up on your own i gave you what you need i listed a few already in a previous post just search them up

God soo lazy arent you

and i know there are no other ones that died on the cross for our supposed sins i was referring to the son of god, turning water to wine, born of a virgin birth on december 25, 12 disciples, performing miracles that sort of thing i meant that Christianity is based off of other pagan religions by taking many of their myths and creating a supposed truth out of them i NEVER once said any other son of god character died on a cross and rose from the dead 3 days after that was just you twisting my words to send me on a chase you know doesnt exist because i had no idea thats what you were referring to and i have never read "The Worlds Sixteen Crucified Saviors" never even heard of it before now

Then why post a link that references his work? Why the video link even?

Ok, I challenge the claims that you just made above (note the ones in bold). Care to back them up with evidence?

Step by step ...

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 3:25 am

i posted that link because i liked the video and had to share it with someone

and you started this argument in another topic before i even posted that video so dont you dare try using that video as a cop out.

its people like you that give religion a bad name in the first place though its reliance on faith as its SOLE EVIDENCE doesnt help either and dont give me that "i have proof but its not the kind i can share." crap that Natty Boh gave either because thats not proof of anything except that you are obviously mentally incapable of an actual debate.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 3:32 am

Pick one mythological character that you believe Jesus' character was copied from, and we'll do some research on that particular one. Agree?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 4:02 am

MCalavera wrote:
Pick one mythological character that you believe Jesus' character was copied from, and we'll do some research on that particular one. Agree?

my apologies im not feeling good today i have a strange type of acid reflex/heartburn pretty common actually since acid reflex is big in my family but this one is making me throw up and i even took acid reliever pills they did NOTHING my friend Jolly(username on WP is visnofskygirl) is scaring me because what she said before going offline on MSN in what i presume is to be forever so im under a lot of stress so my apologies for lashing out at you like that thats usually not me

i suggest we start with Dionysus The God of Wine

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 4:12 am

back when i was Catholic i claimed that all religions were the same just different interpretations of the same truth because of all the similarities between the majority of them and of course being Catholic i assumed it was the right truth but now that im Atheistically Antitheistic towards the religion of Man its now i think they are all different interpretations of the same untruth

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:28 am

A report by historian Richard Carrier on the film. He discusses his attitude towards it, describing it as not entire nonsense, but also having flaws.

http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2009 ... there.html