Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:28 am

A report by historian Richard Carrier on the film. He discusses his attitude towards it, describing it as not entire nonsense, but also having flaws.

http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2009 ... there.html

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 9:54 am

Orwell wrote:
TheKing wrote:
great documentary

That is an oxymoron.

Only to one who speaks in absolutes.

I can conceive of a documentary far superior to others, and could legitimately call it a great documentary.

Besides, beauty being in the eye of the beholder, I have met some who might be inclined to see it as tautology,

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:07 pm

TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
Pick one mythological character that you believe Jesus' character was copied from, and we'll do some research on that particular one. Agree?

my apologies im not feeling good today i have a strange type of acid reflex/heartburn pretty common actually since acid reflex is big in my family but this one is making me throw up and i even took acid reliever pills they did NOTHING my friend Jolly(username on WP is visnofskygirl) is scaring me because what she said before going offline on MSN in what i presume is to be forever so im under a lot of stress so my apologies for lashing out at you like that thats usually not me

i suggest we start with Dionysus The God of Wine

No problem, TheKing. You are THE KING.

So about Dionysus, what is it that makes you believe the Jesus character was copied from him?

Oh, and stop listening to girls. They know not what they say. :P:P:P

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:10 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
A report by historian Richard Carrier on the film. He discusses his attitude towards it, describing it as not entire nonsense, but also having flaws.

http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2009 ... there.html

I have great respect for the works of the atheist Richard Carrier.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 7:27 pm

MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
Pick one mythological character that you believe Jesus' character was copied from, and we'll do some research on that particular one. Agree?

my apologies im not feeling good today i have a strange type of acid reflex/heartburn pretty common actually since acid reflex is big in my family but this one is making me throw up and i even took acid reliever pills they did NOTHING my friend Jolly(username on WP is visnofskygirl) is scaring me because what she said before going offline on MSN in what i presume is to be forever so im under a lot of stress so my apologies for lashing out at you like that thats usually not me

So about Dionysus, what is it that makes you believe the Jesus character was copied from him?

i know that there are few similarities for each individual one but each one has an aspect of Jesus in them and when they are counted together you see that Jesus has all their characteristics make up the same ones as Jesus i just wanted to clear that up because i am very much aware that i can have difficulties sharing my ideas in a clear concise manner im working on fixing it

Dionysus is the God of Wine and Fertility(rain basically) and transubstantiation(water to wine) is actually a big part of the Dionysus worship calling wine Dionysus's creation

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ne ... ivine-wine

all these ancient myths of the ancient Gods were around LONG before Christianity and as i said Jesus is the culmination of MOST of these myths

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 1:29 am

MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-god-who-wasnt-there/

a great documentary i found today

Seen this one before.

What I want you to do is post any link that points to any historical evidence that supports the idea that Jesus was a mythological character influenced by earlier mythological characters and that his story as depicted in the Bible is an adapted version of earlier mythological stories before him.

By the way, one of my Aspie obsessions in the past was Greek/Roman Mythology, so I'm very confident in my arguments here. Be well prepared. ;)

Oh man I wish I had my notebook from my mythology class.. it was all based precisely on that. Our teacher took the biggest stories in the bible and traced them back all the way to ancient babylon and sumeria... how they were the same story re-told.. the same ritual/worshiping methods were re-integrated into the new religion... it was fascinating stuff.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:35 am

TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

i know that there are few similarities for each individual one but each one has an aspect of Jesus in them and when they are counted together you see that Jesus has all their characteristics make up the same ones as Jesus i just wanted to clear that up because i am very much aware that i can have difficulties sharing my ideas in a clear concise manner im working on fixing it

Dionysus is the God of Wine and Fertility(rain basically) and transubstantiation(water to wine) is actually a big part of the Dionysus worship calling wine Dionysus's creation

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ne ... ivine-wine

all these ancient myths of the ancient Gods were around LONG before Christianity and as i said Jesus is the culmination of MOST of these myths

King, my dear, it's not enough to make speculations and post links to speculations of other people who live in the same age as you and I.

We need historical evidence - evidence (dating back before Jesus' time) that reveal the claims that you yourself have been making.

What historical evidence do we have related to the beliefs of the ancient people concerning Dionysus?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:37 am

Dantac wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
TheKing wrote:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-god-who-wasnt-there/

a great documentary i found today

Seen this one before.

What I want you to do is post any link that points to any historical evidence that supports the idea that Jesus was a mythological character influenced by earlier mythological characters and that his story as depicted in the Bible is an adapted version of earlier mythological stories before him.

By the way, one of my Aspie obsessions in the past was Greek/Roman Mythology, so I'm very confident in my arguments here. Be well prepared. ;)

Oh man I wish I had my notebook from my mythology class.. it was all based precisely on that. Our teacher took the biggest stories in the bible and traced them back all the way to ancient babylon and sumeria... how they were the same story re-told.. the same ritual/worshiping methods were re-integrated into the new religion... it was fascinating stuff.

Please ... some historical evidence. No more personal life stories and no more appeal to teachers who are not necessarily historians or scholars.