Does anyone else not 'get' Valentine's Day?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Franklin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2011, 1:48 pm

Oh okay.
Thank you, and sorry for the confusion :oops:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:14 pm

Ikonovich wrote:
I suspect that many here do not.

I got my significant other something for Valentine's Day, of course (I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!) and yet I still do not understand the purpose of receiving fluffy things, flowers, and other ornamental-type gifts or, indeed, the necessity of having a specific day to give them. I guess this applies to Christmas and such as well, but Valentine's seems to be the day when the most absolutely pointless stuff is given.

I do not see why people give or desire gifts that serve no useful purpose. My SO still occasionally insists on giving me stuffed animal things, which I inevitably put in some mild position of honor due to her expectations, until the next one comes along and the old one is recycled to wherever women store their fluffy things. But I do not really want them, I simply tolerate them because she prefers that I do and it's not a notable inconvenience.

It makes very little sense to me. Why would you desire to waste time and money on such useless things?

Further, having a single day set aside to show affection also strikes me as odd, since I believe that most people would say that the ideal would be affection distributed throughout the year, and that there shouldn't be a holiday set aside to force you to show it.

It's another excuse to buy someone something and it's the number one holiday for jewelry. That's when department stores send out all their sales circulars featuring their heart shaped diamond or zircon studded pendants.
They sorta market jewelry at Christmas, and it could be the holiday with the most rings and necklaces sold. I am sure Valentine's day is a close second, if it isn't first.

Most people are too sophisticated to settle for the fluffy stuffed toys. They want the expensive diamonds and gold.

The way I see it, Christmas is enough, I don't need all these additional holidays that require gift giving.
The best thing about it, it comes and goes quickly and only happens once a year, unless someone figures out a way to somehow extend it.