Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm

If someone gives me data or suggests ideas, it makes a very big difference who it is. For example, in physics - Richard Feynman - even if he said something totally outside my experience, even if it was somewhat counterintuitive, I am inclined to trust him.

Hawking - I am sure that he is actually in the same range of competence, but if he says something the least bit novel or counterintuitive, I want to check it before accepting it. Mazybe go ask Feynman if that were possible.

And there are a few people - if they say something I already know and believe, I might just start to doubt it!

It has nothing to do with how they talk - persuasive voice and great sincere eye contact [like I would even notice!] do nothing. But there is something in how they think. Feynman's brain resonates in some way with mine - Hawking's does not.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 12:43 pm

Feynman and Hawking are above my pay grade so I tend to think if I don't agree with them it's because I don't fully understand it.

But I like your phrase about brain resonance. It seems that happens with some people I meet.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 4:50 pm

hey, I do not fully understand them - what DO I fully understand? But if They say exactly the same thing one will make more sense than the other.

That resonance - sometimes across a crowded room you can spot the only person there you can actually talk to.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:10 pm

I see what you're saying. If I get advice from someone whose opinions I don't really value (or who I just dislike), I'll probably ignore it. I might even be annoyed that this person is giving me suggestions or criticism. But if it's someone I respect and admire, I will graciously accept any advice and generally trust what they say.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

Feynman can always be trusted.

Whoever thinks otherwise... 8O 8O 8O

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2011, 7:46 pm

I get what you are saying.

Sometimes, there are things that I really want to do, but then if certain people TELL me I should do them, I absolutely refuse.

It all has to do with what kind of feeling you get from the person.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:58 pm

I never give anyone full and direct access to my, erm, belief box?

There are some people who just speak to my sense of what is right, and I tend to give them a bit more attention.

Though on that note, even our heroes are not beyond making mistakes, big, evil, and stupid ones sometimes.