Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 7:32 pm

The word "sociopath" is being thrown around here. This is no longer a clinical label. It was reclassified as antisocial personality disorder. For sake of accuracy, if one is not yet 18 years old, they can't be diagnosed as a "sociopath", having antisocial personality disorder. Could they be a budding "sociopath"? Yes. Technically, it would be a conduct disorder for most of those shooters at schools.

Other personality disorders and psychiatric conditions can cause irrational (and dangerous) behavior. Episodes of constant bullying and a negative home environment can cause a first time episode of psychosis. Of course, it can be argued that a child with a history of bullying and a negative home environment are at risk for developing a personality disorder.

Whether they are born that way or not is one of the hottest controversies in psychiatry. For many personality disorders, environment or trauma has often been listed as their main cause or trigger. The past 5 years of research have resulted in some interesting revelations, such as biology playing a much larger role than we once thought. The amount depends on which PD we are talking about. I specifically interned within the speciality of Borderline Personality Disorder (though quite a few with BPD have a comorbidity of other PDs) in order for future certification in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Once thought to be untreatable, there is treatment & brain abnormalities have been found. The new research being done on personality disorders is very interesting & exciting.

Unfortunately, APD is probably still the least treatable of PDs because they generally lack insight. Therapy can give them the tools to better manipulate or lie to people. CBT may be beneficial.

Feeling the need to emphasize this after saying all that, personality disorder does not always equal dangerous. I worked with quite a few who wouldn't hurt anyone.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 7:35 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Try having a sociopath for a parent.

Is this directed at me? Because I don't think that statement has any relevancy.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 7:42 pm

ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

You're right, it doesn't. Yes, it was directed towards your assertion that you've never had to deal with a sociopath.

It's hard.

abaisse, I didn't get into all of that because I prefer to keep my answers direct to the point. Yes, I know it's been re-classified. Most people just recognize 'sociopath' far easier than antisocial personality disorder.

I prefer for people to understand me, so I choose my language based on the people that I'm talking to.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
ikorack wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

You're right, it doesn't. Yes, it was directed towards your assertion that you've never had to deal with a sociopath.
Quote:

Well it was narcissist not sociopath but I suppose I haven't had to deal with a sociopath either.

Quote:
It's hard.

I assumed it was, but its still irrelevant.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 8:49 pm

ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:
For personal profit or pleasure is not the same as for causing anguish.

Causing anguish can be for one's own pleasure. You've never lived with a real narcissist, have you?

>.< now your just being difficult, can be is not always, which is what your response implied. No I have encountered them but I haven't been in a situation where tolerating their presence is necessary.

But some (if not all) sociopaths find pleasure out of causing anguish. So it fits well with the diagnostics.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 8:51 pm

abaisse wrote:
The word "sociopath" is being thrown around here. This is no longer a clinical label. It was reclassified as antisocial personality disorder. For sake of accuracy, if one is not yet 18 years old, they can't be diagnosed as a "sociopath", having antisocial personality disorder. Could they be a budding "sociopath"? Yes. Technically, it would be a conduct disorder for most of those shooters at schools.

Other personality disorders and psychiatric conditions can cause irrational (and dangerous) behavior. Episodes of constant bullying and a negative home environment can cause a first time episode of psychosis. Of course, it can be argued that a child with a history of bullying and a negative home environment are at risk for developing a personality disorder.

Whether they are born that way or not is one of the hottest controversies in psychiatry. For many personality disorders, environment or trauma has often been listed as their main cause or trigger. The past 5 years of research have resulted in some interesting revelations, such as biology playing a much larger role than we once thought. The amount depends on which PD we are talking about. I specifically interned within the speciality of Borderline Personality Disorder (though quite a few with BPD have a comorbidity of other PDs) in order for future certification in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Once thought to be untreatable, there is treatment & brain abnormalities have been found. The new research being done on personality disorders is very interesting & exciting.

Unfortunately, APD is probably still the least treatable of PDs because they generally lack insight. Therapy can give them the tools to better manipulate or lie to people. CBT may be beneficial.

Feeling the need to emphasize this after saying all that, personality disorder does not always equal dangerous. I worked with quite a few who wouldn't hurt anyone.

Very good knowledge on personality disorders. Well done.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:

Causing anguish can be for one's own pleasure. You've never lived with a real narcissist, have you?

>.< now your just being difficult, can be is not always, which is what your response implied. No I have encountered them but I haven't been in a situation where tolerating their presence is necessary.

But some (if not all) sociopaths find pleasure out of causing anguish. So it fits well with the diagnostics.

It hinges on how many do it not that some do. There was no mention of actions made solely for causing anguish. Which is what your statement basically boiled down to.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 9:00 pm

ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:

It hinges on how many do it not that some do. There was no mention of actions made solely for causing anguish. Which is what your statement basically boiled down to.

Ok, it's you who's being difficult.

The list of symptoms says that people with ASPD deceive people for personal pleasure (whether by causing anguish or not).

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 4:06 am

MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
ikorack wrote:

Ok, it's you who's being difficult.

The list of symptoms says that people with ASPD deceive people for personal pleasure (whether by causing anguish or not).

But your the one using that statement to justify a generalization that has no reason to exist besides fear.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 4:51 am

ikorack wrote:
But your the one using that statement to justify a generalization that has no reason to exist besides fear.

To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about anymore.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:25 am

What cause's high school shootings?. A loner who is sick of being treated like dirt, I guess . Not Manson, not video games, not catholicism or atheism or evolution.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:32 am

ryan93 wrote:
What cause's high school shootings?. A loner who is sick of being treated like dirt, I guess . Not Manson, not video games, not catholicism or atheism or evolution.

I was a loner who was sick of being treated like dirt at school (and at home by my father and his extended family). Apparently, that wasn't enough to get me to want to shoot somebody.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:49 am

same, but some people cope in more violent ways, I suppose.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 3:38 pm

Schools cause school shootings. If there were no schools, there would be no school shootings.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:02 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Schools cause school shootings. If there were no schools, there would be no school shootings.

If there were no shooters there would be no shootings.

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 10:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

If there were no shooters there would be no shootings.

ruveyn
If there were no guns there would be no shooters. I like where this is going :P