Do you ever talk about stuff just to talk about stuff?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:14 pm

Do you ever just talk about things in your life or things that are happening to you to your friends, that really don't matter to you much at all, but you talk about them anyway just to talk about something?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:17 pm

No. I have to feel like there's a point to the conversation in order to participate in it. I also am not fond of gossiping.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:21 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
No. I have to feel like there's a point to the conversation in order to participate in it. I also am not fond of gossiping.
There is always a point to the conversation, but it's not a serious one.. I will talk about a current event with someone, and some thoughts about it and it's possible they will look at it too seriously, like it matters, and get real serious.. It's probably one of my flaws to socializing.. I guess I should probably just be more quiet.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:25 pm

I never said it has to be a serious point.

To give you an idea of what I don't do...

A friend has an issue I can't help with. I may express frustration over it, but I won't talk about possible solutions because it's pointless. As stated before, I don't have the solution.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

I'm unsure if you know what I'm trying to say. It's not exactly easy to explain. I didn't type it out well in the original post either.

My main problem was talking about something that doesn't matter to me much that is happening to me in my life, but I felt like talking about it anyway, just to talk about it. This person took what I said too seriously then decided they would tell me it's important to me, and in the end they just tell me what I am thinking, like I am in denial. But it is not true what they think I am thinking. I was just talking, to talk..

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I never said it has to be a serious point.

To give you an idea of what I don't do...

A friend has an issue I can't help with. I may express frustration over it, but I won't talk about possible solutions because it's pointless. As stated before, I don't have the solution.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:52 pm

Oh... I've never had that happen so I don't know what to tell you. I don't talk about things in my life that I find insignificant.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 5:59 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Oh... I've never had that happen so I don't know what to tell you. I don't talk about things in my life that I find insignificant.
It has some significance, just not a lot. But I guess I got my answer. Thanks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 6:30 pm

I do this a lot. I have to feel like doing it though. I have talked about updates in my life, things I did, things I read about online and what I have learned about people or my husband getting something new or what happened to him. I can talk about something I saw on the way to work or on the way back or when I was somewhere. If I thought it was interesting or feel comfortable sharing it, I do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Skepkat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2011, 7:47 pm

I do this too. Didn't think about it until I read your post though. I think it's part of my effort to converse. More accurately, my inept attempt to initiate conversations. So I just start talking. It's usually something I have a tenuous interest in, but not something I'm passionate about.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 12:45 am

I rarely volunteer information about myself in conversations and only if it's about something that pertains to what the other person has brought up.

I never go up to someone and start to talk about something going on in my life. I fear I will appear self-absorbed.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 8:00 am

I never volunteer information about myself. I am afraid people will take information the wrong way. I don't mind talking just to talk, but the problem seems to be that I tend to want to talk in way too much detail and that tends to drive people crazy. I also end up taking even lighthearted subjects too seriously for most people. As a result I try not to be too chatty to people I don't know well.
I can understand the confusion earlier in this thread. It really is not clear what the topic was about. I hope I am helpful and make sense.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 12:07 am

Skepkat wrote:
I do this too. Didn't think about it until I read your post though. I think it's part of my effort to converse. More accurately, my inept attempt to initiate conversations. So I just start talking. It's usually something I have a tenuous interest in, but not something I'm passionate about.
This is what I mean. Thanks.