South Dakota wants to legalize murder of abortion doctors.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 6:58 pm

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:16 pm

Well, so long as the bill is sensible.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:55 pm

Not gonna happen. It's not practical at all and anti-abortion violence is just as unacceptable as abortion itself.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:02 pm

For once I followed the link.

ONE of us does not know how to read English - because what you say it says is not what the text at the end of the link says in any form of English I know.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:12 pm

Yes. It sounds to me like that would simply fortify self-defense or the defense of someone else, including an unborn child.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:21 pm

He calls self defense murder, yet he ridicules the religious right for calling abortion murder. Hypocritical much? Not that either of em are murder since the definition of murder is killing with malicious intent no matter how much people want to twist it into "A killing I don't approve of". God I hate semantics more than anything else in the world...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:24 pm

Seems like the kind of bill that could later be used as a loophole. 'Well, your honor, I thought the law stated I have the right to protect the unborn, and that guy was pro-abortion. I don't know legalese so forgive my ignorance to the specifics. My bad'

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Feb 2011, 8:34 pm

Those poor baby murderers.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:35 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Seems like the kind of bill that could later be used as a loophole. 'Well, your honor, I thought the law stated I have the right to protect the unborn, and that guy was pro-abortion. I don't know legalese so forgive my ignorance to the specifics. My bad'
Not knowing legalese won't get you right off the hook. Self defense is a legally defined term and has a specific definition. If you knock a guy out and them stomp him out, it doesn't matter whether you were unaware of the illegality of kicking a guy while he's down. You will still be charged with assault. They have martial arts places led by instructors who obviously dunno wtf they're talking about and I've seen em teaching people to break a downed opponent's neck after that person is down on the ground. That is murder whether your instructor didn't inform you or not.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

Of course. I was being facetious mostly. If there is already a law in place over self defense or helping others this bill seems rather pointless, no? I don't even know why it talks about unborn children. I don't much care what goes on in South Dakota in any case

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:40 pm

Some nut might try to put the law to a test, but s/he would have no defense if a doctor had been legally performing a legal abortion.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

No this is very bad. Someone could kill a doctor for trying to perform an abortion(aka killing in the middle of an abortion or when he is starting) and try and use this as justification just plain idiotic.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

Vigilans wrote:

The intent behind the law is likely to create a legal precedent for considering abortion to be murder. It states that "justifiable homicide" includes that in defense of an unborn child, so if, for instance, there is a dispute where a pregnant woman wants an abortion but the father wants to keep the child, he might have a case if he attacks the abortion doctor.

But mainly, this bill is like others that have been kicking around for the past decade or so, attempting to establish legal precedents that will be built on later, much like laws that have been passed allowing someone who killed a pregnant woman to be charged with two separate murders (of her and of the unborn child).

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

Quote:
The intent behind the law is likely to create a legal precedent for considering abortion to be murder. It states that "justifiable homicide" includes that in defense of an unborn child, so if, for instance, there is a dispute where a pregnant woman wants an abortion but the father wants to keep the child, he might have a case if he attacks the abortion doctor.

But mainly, this bill is like others that have been kicking around for the past decade or so, attempting to establish legal precedents that will be built on later.

Yeah that's pretty much what I figure. They probably won't try to take advantage of something like this for a few years. Then some backwoods South Dakotan is going to shoot up and abortion clinic and there will be a huge national debate and blah blah blah...

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:49 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Of course. I was being facetious mostly. If there is already a law in place over self defense or helping others this bill seems rather pointless, no? I don't even know why it talks about unborn children. I don't much care what goes on in South Dakota in any case
Oh ok, well a lot of people do unfortunately think stuff like that can be used as loopholes so I didn't figure you were saying it mockingly.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 8:51 pm

Orwell wrote:
... a dispute where a pregnant woman wants an abortion but the father wants to keep the child ...

Whew. What if he was nowhere in sight at the time and then went after the doctor later? Or, what if a doctor refused to do the work unless both parties agreed and were present?

All of that could get messy.