Asperger's & ADHD: New Stimulant Increasing Stimming! He

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nic622
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2011, 12:13 pm

Any relevant information, similar experiences, advice or support is welcome and greatly appreciated!

My name is Nicole. I am 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with AS and inattentive ADHD. Yesterday I had an appointment with my psychiatrist to go over the results of my psychological testing. We decided I would try Vyvanse to help with my ADHD symptoms. This morning I took the medication as instructed and almost immediately felt relief. I feel more focused and confident in my ability to get things done efficiently. My only concern is that it has been about three hours since I took the medication and suddenly I am stimming like crazy! :oops: Thankfully my girlfriend is at work so she does not have to be subjected to this. I am very lucky to be high-functioning and have always worked hard to downplay my stimming so I find this situation very upsetting. I have always taken part in some mild to moderate self-stimulation behaviors (e.g. gently rocking, repetitive blinking, finger biting, etc.) but the rocking has never been this intense. It is to the extent that I am finding it difficult to type. I am also experiencing some mild nausea. I researched some of the possible side effects of stimulant use found in patients with ASD. According to the International Review of Research in Mental Retardation (I know, I know...Do not even get me started on the title...), Vol 21,

Quote:
The mechanism by which psycho-stimulants produce stereotypic (stimming) behavior is uncertain. However, Robbins and Sahakian (1979), after reviewing much of the animal literature, suggested that stimulant-induced stereotypy was the result of a progressive focusing of attention, with the end result that the animal spent more time in a narrow spectrum of activities. As noted earlier, preliminary studies of psycho-stimulants in autistic children suggested that psycho-stimulants were contraindicated (Campbell et al., 1972, 1976), as these drugs not only failed to produce behavioral improvements, but when given in low-to-moderate clinical doses, they appeared to produce increases in preexisting stereotypies and sometimes novel stereotypies.

My first question is, why are psychiatrists still prescribing stimulant medications to individuals on the spectrum? If there are more recent publications with more up-to-date information, please send them my way. I am extremely curious, as my favorite subjects are biology (more specifically neuroscience) and psychology.

On a lighter note, If anyone has had a similar experience that they would not mind sharing or can offer any words of encouragement, I would appreciate it more than my words can express. I do not know any other AS individuals and I do not always feel comfortable discussing things of this matter with neurotypicals.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 12:25 pm

Nic622 wrote:
Any relevant information, similar experiences, advice or support is welcome and greatly appreciated!

My name is Nicole. I am 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with AS and inattentive ADHD. Yesterday I had an appointment with my psychiatrist to go over the results of my psychological testing. We decided I would try Vyvanse to help with my ADHD symptoms. This morning I took the medication as instructed and almost immediately felt relief. I feel more focused and confident in my ability to get things done efficiently. My only concern is that it has been about three hours since I took the medication and suddenly I am stimming like crazy! :oops: Thankfully my girlfriend is at work so she does not have to be subjected to this. I am very lucky to be high-functioning and have always worked hard to downplay my stimming so I find this situation very upsetting. I have always taken part in some mild to moderate self-stimulation behaviors (e.g. gently rocking, repetitive blinking, finger biting, etc.) but the rocking has never been this intense. It is to the extent that I am finding it difficult to type. I am also experiencing some mild nausea. I researched some of the possible side effects of stimulant use found in patients with ASD. According to the International Review of Research in Mental Retardation (I know, I know...Do not even get me started on the title...), Vol 21,

Quote:
The mechanism by which psycho-stimulants produce stereotypic (stimming) behavior is uncertain. However, Robbins and Sahakian (1979), after reviewing much of the animal literature, suggested that stimulant-induced stereotypy was the result of a progressive focusing of attention, with the end result that the animal spent more time in a narrow spectrum of activities. As noted earlier, preliminary studies of psycho-stimulants in autistic children suggested that psycho-stimulants were contraindicated (Campbell et al., 1972, 1976), as these drugs not only failed to produce behavioral improvements, but when given in low-to-moderate clinical doses, they appeared to produce increases in preexisting stereotypies and sometimes novel stereotypies.

My first question is, why are psychiatrists still prescribing stimulant medications to individuals on the spectrum? If there are more recent publications with more up-to-date information, please send them my way. I am extremely curious, as my favorite subjects are biology (more specifically neuroscience) and psychology.

On a lighter note, If anyone has had a similar experience that they would not mind sharing or can offer any words of encouragement, I would appreciate it more than my words can express. I do not know any other AS individuals and I do not always feel comfortable discussing things of this matter with neurotypicals.

---

For insights into the general areas of paying attention, processing, and memory,
you might try to find a copy of the Nerves In Collision book by Walter C.
Alvarez, M.D. (about the many epilepsies) as well as the How To (understand)
Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive by C. Thomas Wild (about modern
nutrition, caffeine helps a few with ADHD). Insights possible here and there (no
cures). Words: paying attention, sustained attention, processing, central auditory processing disorder (CAPD), alertness, attention span, letter span, digit span, sequencing, gross and fine motor control, body balance, dyspraxia, nutrition, coffee - caffeine compounds, Tirend, NoDoz, Ritalin, Dexedrine, Adderall, Dilantin, Bonine, etc.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 1:37 pm

Don't worry so much--it's just stimming! For the most part, stimming is harmless, and can be quite helpful. Increasing stimming is just not enough of a problem to warrant not trying stimulants on people with autism who might benefit.

Why do you normally stim? Do you do it when you're thinking? When you're processing sensory stuff? When you're solving a problem? I do some of my best schoolwork while actively stimming... my brain working, me concentrating, is just easier when I'm in motion.

BTW: Stimulant side effects tend to tone themselves down after the first week, so don't take this as an indication of the way it will be as long as you take this medication. I'd give it a shot for a few more days and see.

The really important thing is: When you are on the medication, are you able to do more things than when you are not on it? If so, then it can help you. You could, of course, try a different medication to see whether you can find one you like better.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Nic622
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2011, 2:21 pm

Thank you, Callista.

The new medication definitely helps in the areas that matter to me the most. I believe I will take your advice and stick with it for a few more days. Hopefully my body will adjust. Stimming just makes me feel self-conscious sometimes. Usually I do it when I am in deep thought (e.g. in class, studying, writing, etc.) or when I am experiencing a lot of stress (e.g. at work, in arguments, etc.). Or sometimes for no reason at all! :bounce: I usually keep a little balloon full of sand in my pocket for squeezing at the grocery store. Haha. I have come to the conclusion that I just need to become more comfortable with my diagnosis. Sigh.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Feb 2011, 3:48 pm

Nic622 wrote:

Quote:

Wow... Nic622, I find myself in a situation very similar to yours. Age 22. The diagnoses of AS and Combined-type ADHD. Taking a stimulant medication (Concerta) to control hyperactivity and enhance attention. Interests in Biology and Biopsych. Self-stimming without meds (Rocking/Spinning).

I've been on all the psychostimulants at one point or another. When I was on Vyvanse, I had the same response - after three hours, I stimmed more than if I had not taken the meds. Additionally, my inattentiveness returned, worse than before. Tried Vyvanse for two weeks, but it didn't sem to work as well for me as Adderall XR (which my insurance no longer covers). So I went on Concerta.

Concerta does a pretty good job at inhibiting self-stmulating behavior (in my case). However, my attention still wanders sometimes. Give Vyvanse a week. If you're still having nausea and self-stimming problems, ask your psychaitrist about trying something else.