Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:05 pm

There might be individual selection pressures for lying, but there would not be group selection pressures. A group of people that lie to each other would not do as well as a group of people who do not lie to each other. It interferes wtih the transmission of information. And I have just figured out a possible evolutionary basis for the in-group/out-group dichotomy. And it makes so much sense. Why is this world set up to reward evil and punish good?

That is incorrect, Janissy. NTs are those who are in on this and try to perpetuate it. I'm just watching. :wink: Actually, I may be the only Aspie in existence; the others are all NT plants. In fact, it's a conspiracy that the whole world is in on except me. Or part of the world and the rest is actually unaware of me. I haven't directly interacted with it... who knows if it even exists? What if everyone here is really the same person, or the same couple of people?

I'M ONTO YOU.

(daspie, I think your latest thread may have broken my brain.)

NOT A DOCTOR

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:46 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
There might be individual selection pressures for lying, but there would not be group selection pressures. A group of people that lie to each other would not do as well as a group of people who do not lie to each other. It interferes wtih the transmission of information. And I have just figured out a possible evolutionary basis for the in-group/out-group dichotomy. And it makes so much sense. Why is this world set up to reward evil and punish good?]

I think it all depends on the nature of the lie. A society can't cohere if nobody ever tells the truth about anything. But people would also be at each other's throats if white lies didn't exist. I recently watched the movie The Invention of Lying starring Ricky Gervais. Watch it if you dare. The whole time I was watching it, all I could think was "the people of Wrong Planet would hate this movie more than Rainman if they saw it." The premise of the movie is that lying is good.

Quote:
That is incorrect, Janissy. NTs are those who are in on this and try to perpetuate it. I'm just watching. :wink: Actually, I may be the only Aspie in existence; the others are all NT plants. In fact, it's a conspiracy that the whole world is in on except me. Or part of the world and the rest is actually unaware of me. I haven't directly interacted with it... who knows if it even exists? What if everyone here is really the same person, or the same couple of people?

I'M ONTO YOU.

(daspie, I think your latest thread may have broken my brain.)

We're all just a bunch of herbi-whores :lol: I had a feeling that posting too long in his thread had pickled your brain.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:55 pm

It's a flaw in NTs that they're incapable of dealing with truth. Claiming society wouldn't work if everyone told the truth is like if an Asian claimed that society wouldn't work if everyone drank milk. Those of us who are capable of doing things better would appreciate it if it weren't assumed that everyone shared your particular disability. YOUR societies need lies because YOU have a flaw.

NOT A DOCTOR