Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 12:41 am

I can't stand the taste of fish, so I won't eat it. It's a major sensory issue. I don't even like to sit next to people eating

I don't eat meat because my body rejects it. It makes me feel sick. I don't think it's gross, but I don't feel good after it. I feel crampy after eating it. I have heard of other problems with meat, but never cramps. I have heard that people with AS do very well when eating a lot of meat, but it's the opposite for me. I also don't like the concept of eating meat.

Does anyone have issues with meat?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2011, 1:06 am

I'm exactly the opposite with fish (especially salmon :D ); to me, it is a sensory excursion into the land of deep, melt-in-your-mouthy goodness.

Believe it or not, though, I recently got a blood test for food sensitivities because I had been cramping all the time, and I was found to be highly reactive to...chicken (?!).

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 9:54 am

I had no issues with meat or fish when I ate them but I became a vegetarian for moral reasons.

Perhaps if your body doesn't do well on meat it may be a good idea to check into a vegetarian diet for to make sure that you're getting all the vitamins and other dietary requirements.

My cousin (NT) was born hating meat, they tried to feed her meat as a little one and she kept on throwing up when she ate it.

Personally, white bread can make me feel unwell if I eat it a lot. I believe your body can and will tell you what it needs.

Although, it could be the way the meat is cooked that makes you feel ill after. Anyways, you don't have to eat meat if you don't want to.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 10:09 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I can't stand the taste of fish, so I won't eat it. It's a major sensory issue. I don't even like to sit next to people eating

I don't eat meat because my body rejects it. It makes me feel sick. I don't think it's gross, but I don't feel good after it. I feel crampy after eating it. I have heard of other problems with meat, but never cramps. I have heard that people with AS do very well when eating a lot of meat, but it's the opposite for me. I also don't like the concept of eating meat.

Does anyone have issues with meat?

If your body rejects meat thats a condition of your digestive system. Its actually common for everyone when you're past age 50 but some people have it while young. Believe it or not the issue is not in your stomach but in your intestines... you lack the bacterial cultures that help digest meats. The cure? Kinda icky... they take a sample of one of your relatives intestinal bacteria, grow them in a petri dish and then put them in your intestine... and 4 hours later you're good to go.

With fish it could be just the texture of it... luckily fish come in a huge variety of flavors and textures. If you're up to it I would suggest you buy a small slice of: Salmon, Tuna, Red Snapper (or tilapia/Swai) and Kingfish. Those 4 fish encompass the 4 biggest differences in the fish taste and texture 'spectrum'... both when eaten raw (sashimi) or cooked (all 4 taste great when cooked with only a little butter and salt...cook until well done).

Most people with fish ickyness dont like salmon because its so buttery(fishy taste) and squishy, but do love kingfish because its texture is very firm and the taste is like something between fish and chicken without the fishy flavor.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 10:21 am

I never had a problem with meat or fish as a child but, around my teenage years, I would only eat it sparingly. Mostly this was texture-related. It was just disgusting!

Now I am a vegetarian and just looking at pictures of certain cuts of beef turns my stomach. Quite literally. Don't even bring up the smell.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:07 pm

When I was a kid, eating meat sandwiches, especially turkey leftovers, would make me gag and retch it back up. The consistency of the two together was something I couldn't handle. Eating lunch at school was an adventure for me for a while.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:15 pm

I wasn't able to eat meat as a kid - I had food phobias so didn't eat any solid food for a while, even when eating food I found meat difficult as no matter how much you chew it doesn't get smaller in your mouth so I didn't understand how you were supposed to swallow it. Still not a big meat fan now.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 9:33 pm

Well, am became vegetarian when I was 8. My mom does well with meat. It could also be because I was mostly eating meat from fast food places.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

AspieDa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2011, 10:21 am

Hate fish except white fish fried the most horrible way to have fish. Meat and I have a long and glorious history although I am moving toward less corn fed meats as the flavor is more the way it should be my wife says it smells more carnal.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 12:29 pm

I can't stand meat and fish smell, taste and everything. When I was a child, I was forced to eat it and it was horrible. People like to think I'm a Greenpeace activist or something like this. They can't understand that someone just doesn't like meat. I avoid butcher's shops. This smell makes me sick. When I'm with my Mom, I wait for her in the front of the shop.

I hate when people ask me if I miss meat. Hell no! I try to forget it exists.
I also hate soya food looking and smelling like meat. If I wanted to eat meat, I would buy meat!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:49 pm

LostAlien wrote:
My cousin (NT) was born hating meat, they tried to feed her meat as a little one and she kept on throwing up when she ate it.

Heh, reminds me of my little sister. When she was a baby any salmon put in her mouth just popped straight out again.

I've never had any issues with eating meat / fish, but I don't find most of it particularly good either. And preparing meat is horribly icky! The smell, the feel, the appearance and texture of it is just :eew: I'm definitely not going to cook any for myself.