Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2006, 4:09 pm

Any other JS fans here? It's about the only music I've never grown out of or got bored of; in particular, I can't get enough of the Goldberg Variations, Art of Fugue, the cello suites and various cantatas. Can't seem to get into the orchestral stuff though.

Anyone else? Favourite pieces/recordings?

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2006, 4:38 pm

I've played much Bach on my cello. Several years ago, but it always rocks. Something about the style makes it so geometric or something.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 6:50 pm

Love Bach to bits. I'm currently going through a stage of loving romantic, powerful symphonies and I have to be in the mood for classical - but I can always listen to Bach.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 6:58 pm

I’m a classically trained pianist, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Joplin, Gershwin, Debussey, et.al. I used to joke to a roommate, “Anybody can play a stereo.” Before there was recorded music, music was rare and special. Now it’s ubiquitous. The Library is the last public place left where you don’t have to listen to music. That’s why I work there. I used to hang out with a guy who would say, “Oh, Mark, you have to hear this!” and he’d put something on the stereo real loud and sit down and attempt to yell a conversation to me. I’d turn it down and say, “Charlie, let’s talk or let’s listen to music, but let’s not try to do both.” I almost never listen to music. When I do, it’s something like Beethoven’s 9th, and I turn it up real loud, and I do NOTHING else. I guess most NTs don’t have the attention span.
:jester: :heart: :jester:

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 7:14 pm

MrMark wrote:
I’m a classically trained pianist, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Joplin, Gershwin, Debussey, et.al. I used to joke to a roommate, “Anybody can play a stereo.” Before there was recorded music, music was rare and special. Now it’s ubiquitous. The Library is the last public place left where you don’t have to listen to music. That’s why I work there. I used to hang out with a guy who would say, “Oh, Mark, you have to hear this!” and he’d put something on the stereo real loud and sit down and attempt to yell a conversation to me. I’d turn it down and say, “Charlie, let’s talk or let’s listen to music, but let’s not try to do both.” I almost never listen to music. When I do, it’s something like Beethoven’s 9th, and I turn it up real loud, and I do NOTHING else. I guess most NTs don’t have the attention span.

The latter part of your post I can really relate to. Except I listen to music whenever I can - and if not I have something going round my head (right now it's Mahler 1.)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 7:23 pm

Yeah, I used to have music constantly playing in my head, until very recently when I became so active at WP. Hmmm.... So I'd wake up every morning with music in my head. It was like having a clock-radio. I'd wonder what would be on. Sometimes it's some stupid pop song and that can be really annoying. Sometimes it's humourous, like the morning I woke up from an erotic dream with the Beetle's "My Love" playing. I went around smiling the rest of the day.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 5:28 pm

I am sort of interested in him. I am also interested in Beethoven and Mozart.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 2:59 pm

I love Baroque music and that includes Bach as well.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 7:11 pm

I listen to Glenn Gould playing Bach, a lot.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2006, 8:30 pm

I was just listening to "Jesu, Meine Freude". It gives me goose-pimples.

Antenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2006, 9:49 pm

I love JS Bach!
My favorite pieces at the moment are the two cantatas called Nun komm, der Heiden Heilend as recorded by John Elliot Gardiner.
Bach cantatas are becoming my current musical obsession. I also love the organ works, especially the Toccata and Fugue in F major.
The Brandenburg Concertos are wonderful. My favorite recordings of these are Casals, Klemperer with the Philharmonia, and Trevor Pinnock.
I've also been listening to the violin concertos with Hilary Hahn performing.
I could go on and on... How could one man write so much music?